P1000m5 Desert build tips

T

Trailraider

Mar 28, 2016
California
First time posting and new to SxS I live in the high desert of CA and will be taking my p1k5 out on the trails and wanted to know of any pointers for a good ride other than fixing the seat heat problem

Reactions: pct
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Welcome @Trailraider,
Some of these guys could list accessories for days. For me the top ones are Tires, Winch, Lights, and skid plate. Still have few left to get on my own build. Other than that, build it to your liking and unlike any other.
Thanks.

T

Trailraider

Mar 28, 2016
California
Welcome @Trailraider,
Some of these guys could list accessories for days. For me the top ones are Tires, Winch, Lights, and skid plate. Still have few left to get on my own build. Other than that, build it to your liking and unlike any other.
Thanks.
Thanks @Hondasxs I am definitely going to get new tiers and skid plate went out with a buddy in his rzr and his skids are covered in gouges. and I've been looking at other builds and have gotten ideas about lights and wench.

Reactions: Hondasxs
CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
I agree with the tires, I ruined a tire from a valve stem problem and put 8 ply tires back on because I knew the 4 ply would last long in the sharp desert rocks. I went with UHMW skid plates too since they slide over rocks better. A winch is a smart idea and I have one but you should think about where you'll be riding and if there will be something to anchor too. Sometimes I carry a portable winch anchor (you can make one yourself too pretty easy with some concrete stakes and some steel tube that will work for most stuff except sand) A highlift jack may be faster to get unstuck in some situations that aren't from mud. I try to carry tire plugs and a small pump too. Lights are definitely a must if you're in a high speed desert area cause the stockers aren't adequate for speed riding. I would also get some kind of roof too cause sun burns suck.

Reactions: amc019
T

Trailraider

Mar 28, 2016
California
I agree with the tires, I ruined a tire from a valve stem problem and put 8 ply tires back on because I knew the 4 ply would last long in the sharp desert rocks. I went with UHMW skid plates too since they slide over rocks better. A winch is a smart idea and I have one but you should think about where you'll be riding and if there will be something to anchor too. Sometimes I carry a portable winch anchor (you can make one yourself too pretty easy with some concrete stakes and some steel tube that will work for most stuff except sand) A highlift jack may be faster to get unstuck in some situations that aren't from mud. I try to carry tire plugs and a small pump too. Lights are definitely a must if you're in a high speed desert area cause the stockers aren't adequate for speed riding. I would also get some kind of roof too cause sun burns suck.
I hear you about the roof 3 hrs on the trails and I now have a trucker arm sun burn and I didn't even think about getting a skid that would slide ill definitely look into that thanks.

Reactions: pct

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!