P500 difference in noise between the 500/520 and the 700

K

kenner

Jul 27, 2014
Hello:

I have a 2021 Pioneer 700-2, so far I like it alot, it does get quite noisy when at higher speeds, I'm looking at getting a secondary smaller machine and the 520 looks like it will work for me. The question I have, is it as noisy as the 700 at high speed or not as bad.
I thought anyone that have had both could chime in.

Thanks
kenner

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hello:

I have a 2021 Pioneer 700-2, so far I like it alot, it does get quite noisy when at higher speeds, I'm looking at getting a secondary smaller machine and the 520 looks like it will work for me. The question I have, is it as noisy as the 700 at high speed or not as bad.
I thought anyone that have had both could chime in.

Thanks
kenner

IMO, the 700-2 may be a hair quieter. The 700-4 with the full roof is, I think, a bit louder than the 500. Keep in mind the 500 hits the limiter around 40 mph.

Due to the manual gear selection ability, there may be speeds below that where the 500 may be quieter, but to me, at anything but top speed where the engine is screaming, the rear diff is the loudest noise producer on the 700, and unfortunately, the 500 diff is almost identical.

I can't speak for the 520. I'd think having the bed may make it quieter than a 500.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Here are my thoughts on the P520, but I have no experience with the 700 other than sitting in one once.

My P520 didn't seem all that loud when we first rode it around Leadville Co. We picked it up in Glenwood Springs Co and got a chance to enjoy it there for a few days prior to coming home.

When I got home and on the pavement, the diff noise was pretty prominent as well as a lot of engine noise. This was still in stock form.

We changed the wheels and tires out and I added a roof and windshield. It made it significantly worse as the noise just bounces around the hard materials and can't escape.

I changed the engine oil at 100 miles and it got a little quieter. About 50 miles later I changed the diff fluids and it made a great deal of difference, especially during deceleration.

I also added the Trigger shield and that helped some to cut noise.

To further cut noise, I'm either going to swap the hard top out for a mesh top or add sound deadening to the underside of the roof.

I also plan on insulating the area under the dump bed with some shields and additional sound deadening material.

The final action may be to swap some tires. The Maxxis BigHorn 3.0 work well and are great offroad, but on pavement they make a ton of noise. Something that has a continuous center may help cut down on the tread slap I get at speeds above 15mph.

In 5th gear on level ground at 20mph, the tires make the most noise. Above 30, all you hear is the engine.

Rob

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Here are my thoughts on the P520, but I have no experience with the 700 other than sitting in one once.

My P520 didn't seem all that loud when we first rode it around Leadville Co. We picked it up in Glenwood Springs Co and got a chance to enjoy it there for a few days prior to coming home.

When I got home and on the pavement, the diff noise was pretty prominent as well as a lot of engine noise. This was still in stock form.

We changed the wheels and tires out and I added a roof and windshield. It made it significantly worse as the noise just bounces around the hard materials and can't escape.

I changed the engine oil at 100 miles and it got a little quieter. About 50 miles later I changed the diff fluids and it made a great deal of difference, especially during deceleration.

I also added the Trigger shield and that helped some to cut noise.

To further cut noise, I'm either going to swap the hard top out for a mesh top or add sound deadening to the underside of the roof.

I also plan on insulating the area under the dump bed with some shields and additional sound deadening material.

The final action may be to swap some tires. The Maxxis BigHorn 3.0 work well and are great offroad, but on pavement they make a ton of noise. Something that has a continuous center may help cut down on the tread slap I get at speeds above 15mph.

In 5th gear on level ground at 20mph, the tires make the most noise. Above 30, all you hear is the engine.

Rob
So your sying, there a UTV, your sitting on an engine and wide open air so there naturally noisy. If you want quietness to buy a Bronco or a Jeep? 😂

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
So your sying, there a UTV, your sitting on an engine and wide open air so there naturally noisy. If you want quietness to buy a Bronco or a Jeep? 😂
Thats funny! Very helpful suggestion...

I don't see that there is anything wrong with wanting to enjoy a conversation with my wife or be able to listen to the sounds of nature while still getting to ride my Pioneer. And to be honest, I would love to keep what is left of my hearing.

I try not to judge what others do to their machines. Some want lights all over the place, some want huge mud tires and portals... I just want a machine that gets my work done, takes me to places a Jeep or Bronco can't, and let me enjoy nature the way I want to...

And I was trying to be helpful to the original poster, he had concerns about noise level. So I must not be the only one.

Enjoy your day.

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thats funny! Very helpful suggestion...

I don't see that there is anything wrong with wanting to enjoy a conversation with my wife or be able to listen to the sounds of nature while still getting to ride my Pioneer. And to be honest, I would love to keep what is left of my hearing.

I try not to judge what others do to their machines. Some what lights all over the place, some what huge mud tires and portals... I just want a machine that gets my work done, takes me to places a Jeep or Bronco can't, and let me enjoy nature the way I want to...

And I was trying to be helpful to the original poster, he had concerns about noise level. So I must not be the only one.

Enjoy your day.
Jesus! It will be ok man! Trust me.
just stating the obvious thats all. You can do whatever you want with your machine and so can others! Its no sweat off my balls. More power to you!
people have tried a thousand things on here as well as myself in the past to make these quieter. Search it and you youll see.. and its very difficult. They are just that a UTV! Not an SUV!

Now if u dont find any humor in what i said, Im sorry, but life is short. Cant sweat the small stuff.

For a more soft sugar on top way to answer the OP and your question…
you can A-get some ear plugs or some Walker game ears like I ware when I shoot to protect my tinnitus from getting worse. Or some Rugged radios if you really want that conversation with your wife.
I cant hear my wife when were bot riding so 😂 but Ive tried them and that would be nice. youll spend the money to get those with all the different tires and experience's your doing.

You sir, have a Great Day!;)

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Thanks. I didn't take it as a personal attack, and I understand you are stating the obvious, I think we all understand the obvious... Every section whether 500, 700 or 1000... everyone has asked/talked about the subject. The machines are just loud.

I would say you are a better gauge of what has been tried on the subject; you have been around longer than I have and you have made thousands of more posts than what I have. I only offered up what my experience has been and where I may go next. Sorry to ruffle any feathers.

I'm good with humor. I suspect we see the situation in the same way.

I have thought about the radios as well as just getting noise cancelling headphones... In the end I don't want to have to think about grabbing extra stuff when we just want to take a quick ride. Extended trips; I suspect I will invest in radios and good headsets. Believe it or not, my wife still likes me and wants to be with me and have a decent conversation from time to time. I might as well take advantage of that while I can, she may not always feel the same way. ;)

Thanks for the well wishes for my day, you as well. We're good!

Jesus! It will be ok man! Trust me.
just stating the obvious thats all. You can do whatever you want with your machine and so can others! Its no sweat off my balls. More power to you!
people have tried a thousand things on here as well as myself in the past to make these quieter. Search it and you youll see.. and its very difficult. They are just that a UTV! Not an SUV!

Now if u dont find any humor in what i said, Im sorry, but life is short. Cant sweat the small stuff.

For a more soft sugar on top way to answer the OP and your question…
you can A-get some ear plugs or some Walker game ears like I ware when I shoot to protect my tinnitus from getting worse. Or some Rugged radios if you really want that conversation with your wife.
I cant hear my wife when were bot riding so 😂 but Ive tried them and that would be nice. youll spend the money to get those with all the different tires and experience's your doing.

You sir, have a Great Day!;)

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thanks. I didn't take it as a personal attack, and I understand you are stating the obvious, I think we all understand the obvious... Every section whether 500, 700 or 1000... everyone has asked/talked about the subject. The machines are just loud.

I would say you are a better gauge of what has been tried on the subject; you have been around longer than I have and you have made thousands of more posts than what I have. I only offered up what my experience has been and where I may go next. Sorry to ruffle any feathers.

I'm good with humor. I suspect we see the situation in the same way.

I have thought about the radios as well as just getting noise cancelling headphones... In the end I don't want to have to think about grabbing extra stuff when we just want to take a quick ride. Extended trips; I suspect I will invest in radios and good headsets. Believe it or not, my wife still likes me and wants to be with me and have a decent conversation from time to time. I might as well take advantage of that while I can, she may not always feel the same way. ;)

Thanks for the well wishes for my day, you as well. We're good!
Your good man. Dont worry about how many post I have, im just a blabber mouth Lol, my wife will tell you that Haha. Shes almost mute compared to me Lol. My bark is louder than my bite trust me.

As for the wife thing, yeah, she loves riding. weve done motorsports together since we met 28yrs ago. More so lately with her just enjoying the view until some of the boys declared my Talon hers! 🤨 ;)😂

@Tramguage1 has an off brand of the rugged radios with bluetooth that I tried with my wife one time. I must say, I enjoyed it thoroughly. being able to hear my wife (when she wasn't mad at me lol) was quite nice and the machine noise factor was much lower. Im going to get some soon For both machines. All youll need to toat around is the headsets. So not too bad

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Thanks for the advice and I bet the OP appreciates it too. Radios may be the best way to go. Storage is a problem on my little buggy, that might keep the headsets in the house, shop or garage until needed.

Rob

S

Santa

Jul 30, 2018
Kimberly, WI
Ownership

1. 500
My 2017 Pioneer 500 rear diff is very noisy, especially on blacktop which we ride a lot on in northeast Wisconsin,---and has been all the 9,000+ miles I've driven it. I don't worry about it and simply wear high quality $100+ custom fit, in the ear, ear protection. Eliminates the diff noise, but allows the, to me, pleasant little engine that can sound.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!