Difficulty removing the Talon airbox, please advise.

like2be

like2be

Sep 26, 2019
Socal
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks in advance for your suggestions. I'm in the process of removing the airbox in order to get to the IACV valve and it seems to be hung up at the throttle body, but only on one side. Looking from the rear forward, it's the lower tube. Am I missing something or is it just stuck to the TB ring due to heat, etc. Please advise

like2be

like2be

Sep 26, 2019
Socal
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks in advance for your suggestions. I'm in the process of removing the airbox in order to get to the IACV valve and it seems to be hung up at the throttle body, but only on one side. Looking from the rear forward, it's the lower tube. Am I missing something or is it just stuck to the TB ring due to heat, etc. Please advise
BTW, 2019 1000R / 550 miles

Reactions: Blownzuki and TxDoc
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Disclaimer - I've never had to do this -

But it seems to me that HondaTech (before he left) said you can get to it by removing the panel behind the seats. And if you know how it's latched, maybe can remove it 'by feel' with the panel in place. Sorry for the internet referral but that's all I got.

I was going to remove my airbox once and realized that that process was far more involved than I wanted to mess with.

What pointed you to the IACV with only 550 miles?

like2be

like2be

Sep 26, 2019
Socal
Ownership

1. Talon R
Good question, first realized I had a problem about six months ago when it wouldn't start but only crank. Took it to the dealer and they insisted it was a bad ignition coil so I agreed and paid $600 for a new set. Long story short after bringing it home the problem continued so I decided to change out the plugs and replace the fuel. Now it starts but with a rough idle until it's very hot. I recently noticed that when I turn the key the step motor noise that the iacv valve makes was gone so I ordered one thinking it's the either the valve or maybe the connector, etc.

Reactions: Blownzuki
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Good question, first realized I had a problem about six months ago when it wouldn't start but only crank. Took it to the dealer and they insisted it was a bad ignition coil so I agreed and paid $600 for a new set. Long story short after bringing it home the problem continued so I decided to change out the plugs and replace the fuel. Now it starts but with a rough idle until it's very hot. I recently noticed that when I turn the key the step motor noise that the iacv valve makes was gone so I ordered one thinking it's the either the valve or maybe the connector, etc.
I really HATE when a dealer throws my money at a fix and it doesn't work. Why don't I get my money back? I sure hope you can find what's going on without further failed repairs $$$.

Hello_Darkness

Hello_Darkness

Jun 6, 2024
Just to the right of nowhere
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
It is accessible from inside, but if you have harnesses I wouldn't fool with the interior.

The IACV wont cause a rough idle, if the valve is stuck, itll usually hang high.

If you have a broken wire at the connector (similar to the P1K Injector issue) then it most likely throw a code and the idle will oscillate rapidly up and down no matter the temperature. Take it out and turn the key on, it should move up and down while you hold the barrel.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
its never the coils - truth.....

so its just a rough idle until the machine warms up then the idle is fine until you shut it down and cools down then bought again

like2be

like2be

Sep 26, 2019
Socal
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yes, mostly. It hesitates and will stall as well if I put it into gear and try to move it until it's hot, takes about 10 minutes idling time

• Sad
Reactions: Blownzuki and CID
advertisement
like2be

like2be

Sep 26, 2019
Socal
Ownership

1. Talon R
I think this was the problem. New iacv installed today and it is idling properly. I plan to field test it next week.

Picture 20240615043059 Picture 20240615043047