Pioneer vs Talon feedback

Bow4life

Bow4life

Supporting Member
Mar 5, 2021
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haven't done a great job of documenting everything in my build thread but here's some pics of what I did. Pretty simple and haven't had a problem in almost 4 years. But like I mentioned, if you use your bed often I would suggest a quicker way of removing the seats. Few minutes each side isn't a deal breaker for me but if I used the bed on a daily basis I wouldn't want to mess with the bolts.
View attachment 441085View attachment 441086View attachment 441087View attachment 441088

I've rode in the back and it's way better then the stock seats, this helps the angle of your knees when sitting down. This along with the many other small mods to mediate heat, dust, noise, etc make it much more enjoyable for the rear passengers. When we ride in areas like TN, a 10-12 hr riding day is common and kids hardly ever complain about comfort in the back seats.

Now, all this being said..........a Talon is BADASS 😂😂 there's really no comparison so if you want one and have the green light then I'd definitely switch or like many around here do and keep the P1K and still get a Talon 😂😂😂😂😂
Can I ask where you sourced your rzr seats? Did they come with the 4 point harnesses? Thanks!

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have both. Arguably I have way too much money in the Pioneer and not enough time with the Talon but the talon is a new build for my wife.

The Talon on stock suspension and 30s is harsh at low speed and over rocks. The Pioneer soaks that stuff up with Elkas and 31s. The Talon throttle is clumsy and harsh over bumps less than 15mph. The Pioneer is smooth and easy going when the going gets rough

On gravel and dirt the Talon is a rocket ship by comparison. The throttle is smooth and aggressive. Much to my surprise i4wd is fun.

Overall, the visibility is better out of the pioneer and for off trail fun I love it. As a racecar, the talon wins.

Bow4life

Bow4life

Supporting Member
Mar 5, 2021
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have both. Arguably I have way too much money in the Pioneer and not enough time with the Talon but the talon is a new build for my wife.

The Talon on stock suspension and 30s is harsh at low speed and over rocks. The Pioneer soaks that stuff up with Elkas and 31s. The Talon throttle is clumsy and harsh over bumps less than 15mph. The Pioneer is smooth and easy going when the going gets rough

On gravel and dirt the Talon is a rocket ship by comparison. The throttle is smooth and aggressive. Much to my surprise i4wd is fun.

Overall, the visibility is better out of the pioneer and for off trail fun I love it. As a racecar, the talon wins.

View attachment 441144
Thanks! Now that is a full trailer!

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Can I ask where you sourced your rzr seats? Did they come with the 4 point harnesses? Thanks!
RZR seats I got from a buddy that went aftermarket on his, but I've seen them on eBay, marketplace and such fairly cheap.....$100-$200 for a set. The harnesses I added when I still had the stock seats. Nice upgrade for the kids from the oversized stock belts.

Bow4life

Bow4life

Supporting Member
Mar 5, 2021
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
RZR seats I got from a buddy that went aftermarket on his, but I've seen them on eBay, marketplace and such fairly cheap.....$100-$200 for a set. The harnesses I added when I still had the stock seats. Nice upgrade for the kids from the oversized stock belts.
Thanks! I'll do some looking. That might be a mod I need to do if we decide to keep the pioneer.

Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I don't have any 4 seat Talon experience but I have a P1K5 and 2 seat Talon R. As mentioned, the Talon seats are more comfortable and the thing is a beast at speed smoothing out washboards roads with ease. It can be a bit harsh at low speed (under 15-20 MPH) but feels much more stable on slopes and ruts. Down sides for me is visibility over the hood on inclines/descents and turning radius. The lack of turf mode and larger turn radius scrubs the tires on pavement.

Bow4life

Bow4life

Supporting Member
Mar 5, 2021
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't have any 4 seat Talon experience but I have a P1K5 and 2 seat Talon R. As mentioned, the Talon seats are more comfortable and the thing is a beast at speed smoothing out washboards roads with ease. It can be a bit harsh at low speed (under 15-20 MPH) but feels much more stable on slopes and ruts. Down sides for me is visibility over the hood on inclines/descents and turning radius. The lack of turf mode and larger turn radius scrubs the tires on pavement.
Thanks for the info, are you saying the suspension can be harsh at slower speeds? Do you have the live valve model talon? Are the shocks adjustable on all talons or just the live valves?

advertisement
Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Thanks for the info, are you saying the suspension can be harsh at slower speeds? Do you have the live valve model talon? Are the shocks adjustable on all talons or just the live valves?
I have the Live valve and the Normal setting is still stiffer than the Fox shocks on the P1K at slow speed.

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
My 1k5 has the factory non fox shocks so I'm guessing they are even softer yet
Holy dentist appointments Batman! 😂

yeah no comparison. Just that you will think you went from a Yugo to a Lincoln drive quality wise. In fact, your P1 would feel like you bought a new machine by just upgrading the Stock teeth Filling looseners.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey all, I have had a 2020 Pioneer 1k5 deluxe for a little over 4 years now. I purchased it new, and I think it has around 2000 miles currently. I'm thinking of making the switch to a Talon X4 live valve and am looking for some feedback from those who have had (or have significant time riding) both. I have not driven a Talon yet which is part of the reason for the post as well. I searched the site and really didnt find what I was looking for so here goes. First off let me just say that I love my Pioneer, it has done everything I have asked of it and more, the issues I have with it are mainly comfort related. I have also always found the handling on the Pioneer somewhat underwhelming. A couple months ago when I picked up a new TRX90 for my youngest, the dealer I purchased from had several Talons on their lot so I checked a couple out. I should have driven one but I didnt. I noticed the seats and seat positions are much more comfortable than the Pioneer. We are an atv family and love trail riding together in the Pioneer. One of the main issues is my kids are getting old enough that the back seats on the Pioneer are not comfortable for them anymore, not to mention the rear seat heat. Uncomfy kids and wife means nobody wants to ride. We mainly ride trails in northern Minnesota and Wisconsin. I'm looking for feedback on the Pioneer vs Talon in a few areas:

General comfort
Back seat comfort
Under seat heat (mainly back seat)
Ride quality
Handling
Performance
Things you dont like (if any) on the Talon vs Pioneer
Things you dont like (if any) on the Pioneer vs Talon

Any other areas you might think relevant to my concerns with the Pioneer. Thanks very much in advance.
Yep rode Wisconsin a lot. Kept the Pioneer-5 same issues your having about passenger comfort ect. Back seat comfort is fantastic. Very little heat, ride quality is way better than the Pioneer. Night and day, also I have bandit tender springs, and 32" squishy tires help the low speed riding plushness, handling and performance is really good. Only thing I don't like about the talon and it's not terrible is getting in and out of it a bunch. But when it comes to passengers it's so much better.

D

Dave GT

Feb 16, 2020
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey man,
I can relate and started with a P1k5 and now have an R4. However for a while I had them both and decided to make a comparison video. I ended up with only the R4 as it fit our riding style better but there are things I still miss about the Pioneer. I did so much to my pioneer to make it mine, and it was an incredibly capable rig. So many adventures and memories…but it was never a sport machine. There are things I wish the Talon had, so it’s not perfect, but it checks a lot of boxes for me and it’s been a great machine so far.

Here’s the video, let me know what you think:

Bow4life

Bow4life

Supporting Member
Mar 5, 2021
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey man,
I can relate and started with a P1k5 and now have an R4. However for a while I had them both and decided to make a comparison video. I ended up with only the R4 as it fit our riding style better but there are things I still miss about the Pioneer. I did so much to my pioneer to make it mine, and it was an incredibly capable rig. So many adventures and memories…but it was never a sport machine. There are things I wish the Talon had, so it’s not perfect, but it checks a lot of boxes for me and it’s been a great machine so far.

Here’s the video, let me know what you think:

Thanks for the info and video, I'll definitely check it out. Where abouts in MN are you from, or where do you like to ride?

Reactions: Blownzuki
D

Dave GT

Feb 16, 2020
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the info and video, I'll definitely check it out. Where abouts in MN are you from, or where do you like to ride?
I'm in the Brainerd area, I like to ride all over ha ha! Of course Spider, Miller Black Bear are the closest, but Emily Outing, Remer all have great trails too. Last summer we rode from Emily to Canada. Another one of my favorites is Aekely, need to head there soon as I haven't gotten to ride there this year. How about you?

Bow4life

Bow4life

Supporting Member
Mar 5, 2021
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm in the Brainerd area, I like to ride all over ha ha! Of course Spider, Miller Black Bear are the closest, but Emily Outing, Remer all have great trails too. Last summer we rode from Emily to Canada. Another one of my favorites is Aekely, need to head there soon as I haven't gotten to ride there this year. How about you?
We are in Clay County but do most of our riding in Itasca County, northern Wisconsin, and sometimes Park Rapids-Osage area. Been to the Black Hills, SD as well.

advertisement