futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
I'm considering mounting Packouts to the rear rack of a P500. Looking for thoughts, suggestions, concerns . . .

Plan is for a base of HDPE or ??, and attach 2 PO bases to that. Will be no walls or other protection, etc. A 4gal rotopax fuel is mounted to the rear of the ROPS, the PO boxes will be behind it. They'll likely hang off the angled corners of the rack a bit.

1. anything better the HDPE for this?
2. do the POs not come loose on rough trails?
3. should I keep the 2 bases close together to limit play?
4. what am I not thinking of?
5. those that have them: do you like them, do it again?
6. do they survive the occasional SPIM? (Skid Plate Inspection Moment) 🙃

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm excited to follow your research and development of this project. I'm sure you will post photos and measurements and explanations for others who will benefit from this endeavor in the future

Sent from my motorola edge plus 2023 using Tapatalk

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm considering mounting Packouts to the rear rack of a P500. Looking for thoughts, suggestions, concerns . . .

Plan is for a base of HDPE or ??, and attach 2 PO bases to that. Will be no walls or other protection, etc. A 4gal rotopax fuel is mounted to the rear of the ROPS, the PO boxes will be behind it. They'll likely hang off the angled corners of the rack a bit.

1. anything better the HDPE for this?
2. do the POs not come loose on rough trails?
3. should I keep the 2 bases close together to limit play?
4. what am I not thinking of?
5. those that have them: do you like them, do it again?
6. do they survive the occasional SPIM? (Skid Plate Inspection Moment) 🙃
They hold up to flops in the p1k5. I was afraid the tab that locks the boxes to the base, would break when loaded heavy and I had a hard flop. It's not happened yet. It may be a different story since yours wouldn't be protected inside a bed. The XL boxes will hold a soft cooler with a case of beer and ice, if you need to hide your beer.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I've got Packouts in both buggies (and had one in the OG Donkey), I've flopped all 3 without and issues, with the boxes anyways. I put a AJK mount in the Talon, I used a standard packout base in the P1K3, just bolted it to the bed with 4 6mm bolts with fender washers underneath. I can take a couple pics tomorrow if you want.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I use the accessory bed/tray thing on my rack so I want to be able to switch between the packout mount and the bed.
Figured a plywood base, cut the corners like the rack and mount it to the rack with ROPS clamps like the bed.

I think you want some space between the mounts - assuming the boxes are back to back.
When you open the box on bottom you need some space (I envision a large box on bottom and a thinish one on top).

And, for some reason, I think there is room for a half width box on the back center.
I think they have a cooler that fits the bill.
But not 100% on this.

I figured the plywood base plate would have some form of cut outs, circles (hole saw) or triangle cut outs for a billet machined look.
Needs a coating to emulate what Goose gear dose (haven't figured out how to machine my name in to the plate yet).
I haven't done a calculation for how many clamps are needed, maybe a few more than the bed uses (loaded bed just supports weight, if you tip it the stuff just falls out, or so (I guess) the original design engineer figured).

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
@lee's post got me thinking . . . kinda

Another option would be to install the Large Wall Plate (triple), and run it 'horizontally', as opposed to the two standard wall plates installed 'vertically' per my original plan. Could possibly even squeeze in the Compact Wall Plate (single) as well.

This brings into play the possibility of side walls (which I like), which brings me back to the Honda Cargo Tray (which I also like). However, I'm sure it lacks the strength to mount the plates to it. Reinforce it? How?

I need a plan. 😖

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
I've had this in mind for awhile now so I can finally ditch the cargo net. I can't remember the exact details, but I think I had planned for mine something like this (done in AutoCAD...):

Packout

Plan was to get some plates from here or the like:

Il 794xN5610131248 lgwb

Plan is to probably run this on one side to store overlanding gear:
4c75de8a8208478a8dcbc469fa8e2bcc

This 40qt on the opposite side to store food and such:
9a672b6ccaa740af9fb290c70b054444

Then probably a small case on top of each to hold various items that go on every trip whether I'm overlanding or not; tools, recovery gear, condoms, fudge rounds, etc.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've had this in mind for awhile now so I can finally ditch the cargo net. I can't remember the exact details, but I think I had planned for mine something like this (done in AutoCAD...):

View attachment 420758

Plan was to get some plates from here or the like:

View attachment 420759

Plan is to probably run this on one side to store overlanding gear:
4c75de8a8208478a8dcbc469fa8e2bcc

This 40qt on the opposite side to store food and such:
9a672b6ccaa740af9fb290c70b054444

Then probably a small case on top of each to hold various items that go on every trip whether I'm overlanding or not; tools, recovery gear, condoms, fudge rounds, etc.
Condoms…🤣🤣🤣

scttwlsn45

scttwlsn45

Supporting Member
Feb 8, 2024
Farmington, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
hen probably a small case on top of each to hold various items that go on every trip whether I'm overlanding or not; tools, recovery gear, condoms, fudge rounds, etc.
Why does the grouping “recovery gear, condoms, fudge rounds and etc” make me giggle. It seems random OR IS IT?

Last edited:
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
The cargo tray is pretty thick. I thought about mounting the packout plates to it but hauling dirt would be an issue.

With Critter, I do like having my cargo boxes mounted in/through the Honda tray (they are secured to the rack, essentially). They've survived several SPIMs without incident. I drilled a bunch of holes in the tray for water runoff. The walls and indentations are nice for small items not getting away, and for securing other gear with straps.

If I do the tray/Packout combo, I'd either have to trim the front wall of the tray or do away with this Rotopack.
20240211 143909

I could space it further out from the ROPS, but it barely plays nice with a rear panel as it is.
There are Packout options for mounting 1-3 gal Rotopack fuel.

Obviously, this is more stuff I'm not good at envisioning, implementing.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and suggestions. Creativity and fabrication ranks right up there with electrical knowledge, with me!

Last edited:
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With Critter, I do like having my cargo boxes mounted in/through the Honda tray (they are secured to the rack, essentially). They've survived several SPIMs without incident. I drilled a bunch of holes in the tray for water runoff. The walls and indentations are nice for small items not getting away, and for securing other gear with straps.

If I do the tray/Packout combo, I'd either have to trim the front wall of the tray or do away with this Rotopack.
View attachment 420820

I could space it further out from the ROPS, but it barely plays nice with a rear panel as it is.
There are Packout options for mounting 1-3 gal Rotopack fuel.

Obviously, this is more stuff I'm not good at envisioning, implementing.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and suggestions. Creativity and fabrication ranks right up there with electrical knowledge, with me!
What about the TSC toolbox that many others put on the P5 rack and then several dropped an open cargo rack behind it?

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
What about the TSC toolbox that many others put on the P5 rack and then several dropped an open cargo rack behind it?

I took that combo off of this buggy. A very popular setup but it's not for me. Will be selling them, along with some other stuff off of it. Tires/wheels, sound bar . . .

20231228 171751

I guess I could offer all three for sale as a combo: Rotopax, box, rack.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!