BOX1

Dim Headlights and adding a 30W LED using factory switch

Zeppelindad

Zeppelindad

Apr 14, 2020
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Talon X
The headlights on Talon are pretty dim and maybe that's because they're LED and directional. I've been told a few times that they are hard to see when coming up on people. So I generally only use the high beam setting.
I was going to add a small 30W LED bar in the middle. Since I don't even use the low beams, I was thinking of just using the existing light switch.

Here's my plan
High beams always on when switch is in Low or High.
When I select the Low setting, high beams on factory stay on and the new 30 W led bar is on. (switch w/o relay should be able to handle this low current)
When selecting High, only factory high beams on and LED light bar off

this is how I think I should be able to do it
Can I just cut the white wire (for low beams) and take the end coming from plug and use that to drive the LED light bar? (of course I'd have to tap into green for ground/common.)
I see from the wiring schematic there there are diodes between the high and low beams.

Has anyone else done anything like this and know this will work before I cut the wire.

Screen Shot 2021 02 19 at 70207 PM Screen Shot 2021 02 19 at 70317 PM

Attachments

• Honda-Talon-2019.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 116
Reactions: Biteme
Zeppelindad

Zeppelindad

Apr 14, 2020
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Talon X
cool, so would my idea work?
interrupting the white wire for low beams and using that for a low current led bar.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok.. Reviewing this.
You need to verify this. But I don't think the low beam is powered when the high beams are on. Its one or the other.
Making High be low is easy wire switch. Making both High and Low be high beams is easy too.

Also, if you road ride. you need the LED light bar to be off.

The rest sounds complicated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biteme and TxDoc
Zeppelindad

Zeppelindad

Apr 14, 2020
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Talon X
How to make both high and low on high beams?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
You can adjust your light beam angle,,, mine was looking down and I raised it and the light is much better. Just the same I'm adding a pair of Baja Designs to my a pillar posts, the lights are due any day with the weather delay in Texas delaying the shipment.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
The low beams draw about 4 amps or 48 Watts so that means you intend to replace 48 Watts with 30 and get more light? Something doesn't add up.

I think you will find the stock headlights more than ample. If you have been told you are hard to see, there is something wrong. My riding buddies have complained about how bright my headlights are when I pull up to camp. I have a light bar and rock lights and rarely use either unless I am doing something technical in the dark.

If your headlights are not Bright White, you may have a wiring issue so check the voltage at the plug WITH the headlights plugged in and drawing power. If not within .2 volts of battery, you have a problem. UTV's are notorious for ground issues start there.

I agree with @fartsalot because mine were also pointed at the ground and pretty useless when I took delivery. I too actually though there was something wrong until I backed away from the garage and noticed my beams were at the bottom of the door by the time I was 30 feet away. Pre-delivery inspection my ass! My Sub-trans was almost empty, my rack was off center, it was toed out almost an inch and the headlights were a mile off. Not sure what that "Set-Up Fee" was for but they sure missed a lot.

Pull as far back from your garage door (or a white wall) as you can and turn on your low beams. You should see 2 distinct beam patterns on the door. The low beams should be set to a slight drop. I like mine to be no more than 2 inches in 25 feet. The farther you go, the more accurate you can be (up to the point where the beam pattern is too disbursed to read). 3 inches in 40 feet is pretty optimal for most riding.

Zeppelindad

Zeppelindad

Apr 14, 2020
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Talon X
I’m going to add a relay that when selecting high beam
1) turns on both high and low beams and
2) turn on new led light

Low beam will work as before for inclining traffic.

Reactions: Hondasxs
F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Ownership

1. Talon X
I'm finishing up with a pair of Baja Designs and got out of the shop last night for a first look. OMG ! they make my OEM lights look like parking lights. Few more things to tidy up and I will be set to go.

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m going to add a relay that when selecting high beam
1) turns on both high and low beams and
2) turn on new led light

Low beam will work as before for inclining traffic.

Good idea. That's what i recomend also.

Reactions: Smitty335
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
I'm finishing up with a pair of Baja Designs and got out of the shop last night for a first look. OMG ! they make my OEM lights look like parking lights. Few more things to tidy up and I will be set to go.
Did you do the pro or sport?

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Ownership

1. Talon X
I did the sport combo set up. I gave them a work out last weekend in Oklahoma and I was impressed with them. I don't need a light bar in my opinion.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!