What wire is everyone using for accessories?

BlackCSVT

BlackCSVT

Jan 14, 2021
Vail, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
Hi,

I’ve got a tons of stuff to install that’s just been sitting in the corner. Part of that is 8 set of lights to install. What wire is everyone using for lights? Is there any pre-mesh installed wire spools out there, or a higher grade of wire with off-road type insulation/protection?

Coming from a car stereo background I used to use Stinger or KnuKonceptz copper wire, but the insulation on those is pretty soft, and I’d be worried about damaging it in the AZ desert.

Reactions: TxDoc
TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Wire gauge will depend on voltage (12 volts in this case), current (in amps) and run (length of the wire carrying the current).

This article will help you understand and has a chart showing what wire you will need.

Good to remember:
Ohm's Law (E = IR)
E=voltage
R=Resistance (of the wire to the flow of current)
I=Current (in Amps)

Easy to remember:

I=E/R
The Indian sea the Eagle over the Rabbit

E=I/R

The Eagle sees the Indian over the Rabbit

R=E/I

The Rabbit sees the Eagle over the Rabbit.

Amps=watts/volts

I you see a light or light bar rated in watts, divide that by 12 to see how many amps you may be looking at.

****Many lights have overrated specifications ***

But, most quality switches can't handle over 20 amps and you'll need to use a relay. That's a switch within a switch. It lets a switch, even activated, access current from the battery and it doesn't have to pass thru the switch, possibly damaging the switch.

I don't know if this helps or is a case of TMI

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hi,

I’ve got a tons of stuff to install that’s just been sitting in the corner. Part of that is 8 set of lights to install. What wire is everyone using for lights? Is there any pre-mesh installed wire spools out there, or a higher grade of wire with off-road type insulation/protection?

Coming from a car stereo background I used to use Stinger or KnuKonceptz copper wire, but the insulation on those is pretty soft, and I’d be worried about damaging it in the AZ desert.
There's a switched hot plug above the steering column that most of us used, it's under the hood/hood cowl. The club store has a pigtail made for it.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Wire gauge will depend on voltage (12 volts in this case), current (in amps) and run (length of the wire carrying the current).

This article will help you understand and has a chart showing what wire you will need.

Good to remember:
Ohm's Law (E = IR)
E=voltage
R=Resistance (of the wire to the flow of current)
I=Current (in Amps)

Easy to remember:

I=E/R
The Indian sea the Eagle over the Rabbit

E=I/R

The Eagle sees the Indian over the Rabbit

R=E/I

The Rabbit sees the Eagle over the Rabbit.

Amps=watts/volts

I you see a light or light bar rated in watts, divide that by 12 to see how many amps you may be looking at.

****Many lights have overrated specifications ***

But, most quality switches can't handle over 20 amps and you'll need to use a relay. That's a switch within a switch. It lets a switch, even activated, access current from the battery and it doesn't have to pass thru the switch, possibly damaging the switch.

I don't know if this helps or is a case of TMI

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
The rabbit comes out of it's hole, goes around the tree, and then goes back down it's hole.

BlackCSVT

BlackCSVT

Jan 14, 2021
Vail, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
Thanks for the reply’s. TxDoc, I actually use those formula’s for my day job quite often when calculating total load on pool/spa systems.

CID, I have the XTC 6-switch controller for all the accessories, and a 2 way split for the blue plug incase I need to add more relays in the future.

I should probably be more specific. Im asking what brand of wire are people using, i.e. brand “XYZ” because it has foil between its double insulation, etc. or brand “ZYX” because it comes with the mesh sleeve already on it…

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any decent automotive primary wire will work for you.
Look into TXL, GXL, SXL variations. They are very similar, but different insulation wall thickness. Each is typically an OEM spec for any of the big automakers.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Auto wire, I use MTW, I put it in the black plastic wire loom or if it’s winch wiring, take air hose, split it down the middle stuff the cables in

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I only use pure copper wire (solid or stranded). No copper-clad aluminum. Especially if you are soldering.

Reactions: TxDoc and Smitty335
L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi,

Marine grade wire like Ancor with shrink tube crimps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: TxDoc and Smitty335
J

Joe_none

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
NC
Silicone insulated wire and adhesive shrink wrap. I like the higher temp rating as some things route near the engine/exhaust,cooling system. The adhesive also helps keep the water out with the shrink wrap.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!