P1000 Diode question

RockRain

RockRain

Sep 2, 2018
UT
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am having an issue with my main battery volt gauge burning out after approximately 10 minutes or so of use. The exact same type of gauge is used for the aux battery. Before the gauge goes out the brightness of the gauge goes super bright briefly. Between the switch that toggles from main to aux battery and this gauge is the only wire that I tapped into on the white/black ignition source of the factory wiring.

I am wondering if you have a diode recommendation to resolve this issue or maybe a different way to wire this up that I am not seeing?

Here is the wiring diagram
20180906 212649

And this is the gauge
Download

Reactions: BWAF
advertisement
J

JTW

I am having an issue with my main battery volt gauge burning out after approximately 10 minutes or so of use. The exact same type of gauge is used for the aux battery. Before the gauge goes out the brightness of the gauge goes super bright briefly. Between the switch that toggles from main to aux battery and this gauge is the only wire that I tapped into on the white/black ignition source of the factory wiring.

I am wondering if you have a diode recommendation to resolve this issue or maybe a different way to wire this up that I am not seeing?

Here is the wiring diagram
View attachment 86143

And this is the gauge
View attachment 86144
Have you tried switching the gauges? No reason yours should be doing that unless the gauge is bad. The only other suggestion I have is jump right off the accessory wire off the cig/ac power plug behind the dash. I dunno... doesn’t make much sense to me.

RockRain

RockRain

Sep 2, 2018
UT
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I thought the gauge was faulty as well so they warrantied the first one. The second one had the identical results. Since I have no problem with the gauge for the aux I assumed it is feeding voltage through it and came to the conclusion that maybe I should try a diode on the ignition wire but didn't know what diode to use for sure. Doesn't make sense to me either. Also when the gauge goes brighter the voltage is still somewhat steady like the aux one so it doesn't seem to be a spike in voltage. That is kinda why I suspect it needs to keep voltage going one way. I dunno?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I thought the gauge was faulty as well so they warrantied the first one. The second one had the identical results. Since I have no problem with the gauge for the aux I assumed it is feeding voltage through it and came to the conclusion that maybe I should try a diode on the ignition wire but didn't know what diode to use for sure. Doesn't make sense to me either. Also when the gauge goes brighter the voltage is still somewhat steady like the aux one so it doesn't seem to be a spike in voltage. That is kinda why I suspect it needs to keep voltage going one way. I dunno?

Diode won’t help if there is a load of some sort drawing power through the meter. Diode is like an electric check valve it won’t let power backflow through it. The meter should get power from battery only.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Just move the + wire to the main battery + post.
Add a relay that energizes with an ignition key on hot wire. Then break the common ground wire to the 2 meters. That way both meters are off when key is off.

RockRain

RockRain

Sep 2, 2018
UT
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I tore into it today to see if I could see a problem with the way I thought i wired it and how it was actually wired. I am guessing I wired this portion in the wee hours of the morning.

20180908 165204

The red connector is for my battery switch. I had terminal 5 tied to the aux gauge so when you toggled between ignition power or aux power it would power that gauge with either one respectively. In addition I had ignition voltage from the key powering the main gauge. So I think what happened is I had the switch toggled to ignition so it was feeding ignition voltage to the aux gauge but it also would turn on my aux battery feed to the same gauge at the same time and nuke it.

I fixed all of that but prior to figuring this out I had installed the inkbird and filled in the hole where the gauge used to be.

20180908 140406

Anyone have recommendations on a different volt gauge or should I stick with the same round one and put it next to the existing one?

Reactions: BWAF and JTW
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I tore into it today to see if I could see a problem with the way I thought i wired it and how it was actually wired. I am guessing I wired this portion in the wee hours of the morning.

View attachment 86336
The red connector is for my battery switch. I had terminal 5 tied to the aux gauge so when you toggled between ignition power or aux power it would power that gauge with either one respectively. In addition I had ignition voltage from the key powering the main gauge. So I think what happened is I had the switch toggled to ignition so it was feeding ignition voltage to the aux gauge but it also would turn on my aux battery feed to the same gauge at the same time and nuke it.

I fixed all of that but prior to figuring this out I had installed the inkbird and filled in the hole where the gauge used to be.

View attachment 86337

Anyone have recommendations on a different volt gauge or should I stick with the same round one and put it next to the existing one?
Here's the one I use after some of the leds went out on 1st one I had this one has less glare too

Check this out at Amazon.com
YonHan Quick Charge 3.0 Dual USB Charger Socket, Waterproof Aluminum Power Outlet Fast Charge LED Voltmeter & Wire Fuse DIY Kit 12V/24V Car Boat Marine ATV Bus Truck https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FXH5ZZK/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!