P1000 DIY Install vs. Dealer Install on Winch

N

Nvrgiveup

New P1K3 is enroute to the dealer now and I'm for sure gonna add a Viper 6000 winch right off the bat. My question is regarding installation. I'm somewhat mechanically challenged. No, I'm serious! I can't hardly turn a screw without a set of detailed instructions! Does anyone know what a ballpark figure would be to have a dealer install the winch prior to pickup? I'm also thinking about having them add a second battery at the same time. All the other stuff (roof, windshield, mirrors) I'll be able to handle without issue, I figure.

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My vote is let your dealer do it, I installed a viper 5000# wEnch on my P1K-5, I took my time with it but it was easy, but if your not mechanically inclined or don’t have any wiring experience let the dealer do it. If you wire something wrong you could possibly mess up the ECU or something worse. If you want to give it a try, there are tons of videos here and on the enterweb that walk you through it. Dealers = CHA CHING$$$$$ but might be cheaper than having to fix something you messed up. Good luck and don’t forget pics when you get it or it didn’t happen.
Also, don’t forget to ask how big of a tire can you run without a lift.
#NTC

N

Nvrgiveup

My vote is let your dealer do it, I installed a viper 5000# wEnch on my P1K-5, I took my time with it but it was easy, but if your not mechanically inclined or don’t have any wiring experience let the dealer do it. If you wire something wrong you could possibly mess up the ECU or something worse. If you want to give it a try, there are tons of videos here and on the enterweb that walk you through it. Dealers = CHA CHING$$$$$ but might be cheaper than having to fix something you messed up. Good luck and don’t forget pics when you get it or it didn’t happen.
Also, don’t forget to ask how big of a tire can you run without a lift.
#NTC
Those are my thoughts exactly. I’m bad about having to spend tons of money from screwing stuff up trying to save 5 or 10 bucks!

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Those are my thoughts exactly. I’m bad about having to spend tons of money from screwing stuff up trying to save 5 or 10 bucks!
Well, the whey things are now a days, dealer might charge you about as much as the wench cost sooooo......... 🤷‍♂️

It really is a pretty simple job. I say study it a bit (youtube, google, here on the site) and see if it's something you really can/can't do.

Good luck 👍

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
The one bit of advice I always give to green mechanics is, take your time and pay attention.

If something is confusing you, don't get fustrated. Put it down for a few minutes and think about it.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would recommend letting the dealer mess with it. It's good to have 2 hands anyways when reinstalling the bumper. I had a stubborn frame bolt that seemed cross threaded and it never went back in the correct way. I have heard of others having issues with factory bolts too.

B

boOkerT

Apr 20, 2021
Bellingham, Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would recommend letting the dealer mess with it. It's good to have 2 hands anyways when reinstalling the bumper. I had a stubborn frame bolt that seemed cross threaded and it never went back in the correct way. I have heard of others having issues with factory bolts too.
In the process of installing chit on my new rig. Did the dual battery and was working on installing a SuperATV 4500 winch when I ran into one of those bolts you mention on the bumper holding the damn thing in on the left side. I beat on it, bought a special tool kit to remove it cost $38.00, beat on it some more then after crying for awhile I called a buddy who had an impact wrench and using my new removal tool we got it out.
Then come to find out the wench I ordered from Amazon which said it had the mounting plate included and it did come with one but not the correct one. I had already issued a return and refund and was looking for the wench replacement and came across the correct mounting plate for the it I had ordered and that added another $60 to the price.

R

rickoshea

In the process of installing chit on my new rig. Did the dual battery and was working on installing a SuperATV 4500 winch when I ran into one of those bolts you mention on the bumper holding the damn thing in on the left side. I beat on it, bought a special tool kit to remove it cost $38.00, beat on it some more then after crying for awhile I called a buddy who had an impact wrench and using my new removal tool we got it out.
Then come to find out the wench I ordered from Amazon which said it had the mounting plate included and it did come with one but not the correct one. I had already issued a return and refund and was looking for the wench replacement and came across the correct mounting plate for the it I had ordered and that added another $60 to the price.
i have a bumper bolt sitting in my spare parts drawer.i obsessed over it for about 5 mins. the little b@stard just will not go back in.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine was on the right side. When I did my winch it sucked getting out and then I had to force it back in. I had to deal with it a second time when I did my plow mount and I ended up cutting new threads for it. I know I will have to deal with it a third time at some point because I want a neat big bumper. It seems everyone has some messed up bolts throughout their machines.

B

boOkerT

Apr 20, 2021
Bellingham, Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Same with mine closet bolt in from the front..... now I've been working on installing a turn signal system thats been going on all day. Poor instructions and parts included not to mention the directions. I looked on line and found some videos also not mentioning the parts. The paper instruction that I downloaded off their site are so small you need three pairs of readers on to get a look at whats on the page and then you can't see it.......

Reactions: Lady01
StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did my own because I like to do it, and I wanted to put things where I wanted. I had several other adds - street legal, dual batter, isolator, and fuse box.
The winch is not complicated, but I do agree that it can take extra hands, maybe some crying.
I used an inverted mount so the wire/rope runs out at a good, smooth angle. Good luck.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I would recommend letting the dealer mess with it.
I never recommend letting the dealer mess with it. The dealer won't be out on the trail with you when it needs to be fixed or repaired. It's better to teach yourself/learn about something so you can troubleshoot and fix it later. Just my $0.02.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!