P1000 DIY Install vs. Dealer Install on Winch

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I never recommend letting the dealer mess with it. The dealer won't be out on the trail with you when it needs to be fixed or repaired. It's better to teach yourself/learn about something so you can troubleshoot and fix it later. Just my $0.02.
Your 2 cents are worth more than a nickel. In this day and age tho it's getting rarer to see people do things for themselves. As the wise get older there are some things easier left to allow others to do as well. Those that are wise can still fix things themselves after someone else tried :p

Reactions: bumperm and boOkerT
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your 2 cents are worth more than a nickel. In this day and age tho it's getting rarer to see people do things for themselves. As the wise get older there are some things easier left to allow others to do as well. Those that are wise can still fix things themselves after someone else tried :p
That, and there are those with differing talents. I have a neighbor who was a brilliant and successful surgical oncologist, on mundane, around the house, fixits, he is . . . well, he could never have made a living as Mr. Fixit.

I heard a quote that went something like this, "By the time a child of today is 8 years old, he will have been exposed to as much information as someone born in the early 1800's would be exposed to in their entire lifetime." Advances in science and technology have driven the ever increasing complexity of just dang near everything. Back when we made stone tools, one person for sure could know it all . . . not now, not even close.

Sort of related . . . I have a friend who is quite smart. If it's technology related, it's rare he doesn't know at least something about it. Once we were flying at over 12,000 feet in a Mooney 201 I used to own, I was on O2 and he wasn't. We passed my then new pulse oximeter back and forth between us to track O2 saturation. Even hypoxic he was smarter than me! I referred to him as a, "Veritable cesspool of superfluous knowledge". Still, I was the better mechanic. :)

Reactions: Robobrainiac
N

Nvrgiveup

I never recommend letting the dealer mess with it. The dealer won't be out on the trail with you when it needs to be fixed or repaired. It's better to teach yourself/learn about something so you can troubleshoot and fix it later. Just my $0.02.

It wouldn’t surprise me if my daddy sent you a message from Heaven and told you to type that reply!
As I read it, I heard his voice in my head saying, “Boy, you won’t never learn to do no mechanic work if you don’t pick up a ratchet or a wrench every once in a while!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
That, and there are those with differing talents.
While that can be a factor, it's not the only one. In today's culture, many people are just plain lazy.

A few weeks ago, my BIL asked me to help him remove & replace a sub floor, toilet and plumbing in a bathroom in his rental condo. We'll, it's supposed to be a rental condo - his stepdaughter and boyfriend live there. They let a toilet leak persist for months before telling him, and it ended up ruining the floor as well as a bunch of drywall in the garage below (and start to grow black mold).

Anyway, I spent an entire Saturday and part of a Sunday doing the work (95% of it I did, as that kind of work isn't my BIL's strong suit - but he wasn't the lazy one). The entire time we were there working, his stepdaughter's boyfriend never once bothered to stick his head around and offer to help or at least watch what we were doing to try to learn something. Total useless lazy arse. And he's always like that. Too busy finger frigging his phone and (likely) getting high. He and the stepdaughter actually went out to dinner on SAT and never even bothered to ask if we wanted them to bring us something back.

He is fully able bodied, half my age (I'm mid 50's) but a total loser. Oh. And did I mention I only have one leg (above knee amputee with a prosthetic leg)?

When I was younger, I was a sponge when it came to wanting to learn how to do or fix things, because I knew I might have to do it for myself some day. I can frame a house, sweat copper, rebuild your car or rec vehicle engine (or anything else on your vehicles), wire or pipe/plumb a house, repair your broken appliance, get your furnace or AC running again, etc.. What do I do for a living? I'm in IT. Spent the first half of my career as a computer programmer (web development and database design), network engineer and systems administrator. Spent the last half as a manager or director, managing or still doing many of the same tasks plus budgeting, strategic planning, etc..

Did all this by teaching myself and doing. I never set foot in a college or trade school until I was nearly 40. Now I have two college degrees, although I spent the majority of my time in school teaching and helping other students, not learning.

Bottom line, if you want to learn how to do something, 90% of humans CAN learn if they just try. It's far more about drive and ambition than it is about natural abilities or talent.

Sure, writing a check is the easy way out of most situations. Sometimes it makes sense because you need specialized or expensive tools. But there will be many times when that checkbook is of little use, and the knowledge and ability to do something yourself (or help a friend) is priceless.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
It wouldn’t surprise me if my daddy sent you a message from Heaven and told you to type that reply!
As I read it, I heard his voice in my head saying, “Boy, you won’t never learn to do no mechanic work if you don’t pick up a ratchet or a wrench every once in a while!”
Your dad was obviously a solid, stand up guy. I'm sure he and my step-dad are proudly looking down on both of us. I owe a lot of how I am and what drives me to the short ~1.5 years I spent with him and my mom before my mom passed away (I was almost 16). RIP.

Reactions: Mudwing
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
While that can be a factor, it's not the only one. In today's culture, many people are just plain lazy.

-snip-

Bottom line, if you want to learn how to do something, 90% of humans CAN learn if they just try. It's far more about drive and ambition than it is about natural abilities or talent.

-snip-
No argument on anything you said. The last quote above needs some modifiers, as you used too broad a brush. All humans and most animals can "learn", that's a good part of how a species becomes successful - survival of the fittest and all that. But over the past 60 years we've paid people to be lazy louts, to breed and get more welfare etc. Intelligence and good human qualities are not part of that equation. The dumbing down of America is real.

So while I admire your gumption, initiative and success . . . not everyone is held back by just simple laziness. They are not equipped to compete or get ahead is our technological society.

BTW, I was a poor immigrant kid, broken family, left home at 16, joined the Navy at 18 (they taught me electronics and a whole lot more). Then a cop in Oakland (that taught me about bad guys and our welfare system - a cancer on society). And finally inventor (mechanical things and tools) and founder of a security company (using my electronics and law enforcement background). I retired from my company in 2003 (I'm still on their payroll - I'm sure they'd of fired my sorry worthless butt if I didn't own the place!). And all that with no HS diploma or college. The point being, if one has half a clue, a bunch of work ethic, and perhaps a little luck, one can achieve success in this great country that a bunch of people are trying to destroy.

I suspect most here, at least those who bought their sxs as a toy, are well above average in terms of work ethic, intelligence, and success. You don't plunk down $20K or more for toy if you are struggling to make ends meet.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
So while I admire your gumption, initiative and success . . . not everyone is held back by just simple laziness. They are not equipped to compete or get ahead is our technological society.

Hence, my use of the word "many", not "all", "every", or even "most" ... ;)

I was in LE for nearly 10 years as well, until a meth head in a Buick travelling 70 MPH took me out (and took my leg) while on the side of the expressway. Taught me plenty about society as well.

Reactions: bumperm and Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!