P1000 DIY Skidplate washer ??

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 1/2 " uhmw is on the way and I have the Honda factory washers. They are about 1 1/2" in diameter and I am going to recess them using a Forstner bit.
Question is the center simple. It measures 7/8" diameter.

So, make another 7/8 recess inside the 1 1/2 recess or just drill the 7/8 all the way through?

Reactions: BWAF and sharp
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I use a spade bit to get deep enough to make the washer flush. Then a step bit to create the hole. sorry I forget how deep or size. But it was the fat step bit.
Worked great.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
47792f0befa404d3506d43856ce1149e

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have
I use a spade bit to get deep enough to make the washer flush. Then a step bit to create the hole. sorry I forget how deep or size. But it was the fat step bit.
Worked great.

Whole assortment of step bits, just didn't know if people were taking that extra step or just drilling all the way. I kinda like the b idea of two steps and a hole.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think my holes are 7/8", the washers self center fairly well and sit flush when they are tight

Reactions: BWAF
J

JTW

The spade bits are the way to go with the uhmw... keep in mind the uhmw needs room to expand and contract. I left a 1/4” on the washer holes and drilled 1/2” hole for the bolts. I just bought fender washers (can't recall if they were 1” or 1 1/4”) and 1/4” grade 8 bolts. I also replaced all the stock bolt thread with rivitnuts as well as all the self tapping screw holes from the old aluminum skids. I’ll be replacing the rivinuts with weld in t-nuts next time I take the skid plate off.

Reactions: DanDan
S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The spade bits are the way to go with the uhmw... keep in mind the uhmw needs room to expand and contract. I left a 1/4” on the washer holes and drilled 1/2” hole for the bolts. I just bought fender washers (can't recall if they were 1” or 1 1/4”) and 1/4” grade 8 bolts. I also replaced all the stock bolt thread with rivitnuts as well as all the self tapping screw holes from the old aluminum skids. I’ll be replacing the rivinuts with weld in t-nuts next time I take the skid plate off.

When you say room to expand, are the washers not clamping on the skidplates?
Or are the washer clamping tight to the metal and the skidplate has extra clearance underneath the washer as well?

J

JTW

When you say room to expand, are the washers not clamping on the skidplates?
Or are the washer clamping tight to the metal and the skidplate has extra clearance underneath the washer as well?
The washers are pulling the skids to the frame.. the room I’m refering to is lateral movement between the fastners and washers and the material. Again, I’m just using flat fender washers. @Cuoutdoors was suggest to leave room by the guy he purchased his UHMW material from that has been dealing in plastics for 30 years. I mention it because I haven’t had any issues... you could maybe get by with exact holes, but I don’t know that. I do know that I haven’t had any issues by following those suggestions. The last thing I wanted was my skid cracking because I didn’t leave room for expansion. As best I recall, he said a 5x10 sheet could move as much as 1/2” due to expansion and contraction.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!