P1000m3 DIY Bed Rack

Q

Quailguy

Dec 17, 2018
Ca
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I primarily use my P1000-3 for hunting. As you all know, storage is at a premium. Recently I had a friend weld a rack from 1" aluminum square tubing that fits in the bed. We used additional aluminum tubing for the rack's legs to slide into, then pinned in place. I removed the original D-rings, added a larger size, then used the original bolt holes to secure it to the bed. The rack has a removeable basket on the top if needed. I primed the assembly with self-etching primer, then sprayed on rubber undercoating. The only design flaw is having to remove the roof to install or remove the rack. I added the drawer system made of plywood. The rack allows 2 dog crates to be added and the new D-rings hold them secure. Now I can haul TOO MUCH!
IMG 7294
IMG 7291
IMG 7292

silvertrd09

silvertrd09

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
That looks really nice. Paint the drawers black. Are you saying that if you have the rack on you can't use the roof ?

Reactions: TxDoc
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Excellent!

Reactions: TxDoc
Q

Quailguy

Dec 17, 2018
Ca
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
That looks really nice. Paint the drawers black. Are you saying that if you have the rack on you can't use the roof ?
No, I just have to remove the roof when I install or remove the rack. The removable basket sits flush with the tops where the roof line falls. I may add side and/or rear pod lights in the future.
Like I said, I use it mostly for upland bird hunting and this will hold an ugly bird dog, his gear, hunting vests, a cooler, etc.

silvertrd09

silvertrd09

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
Ok, I was going to suggest making a roof out of 1/2" plywood. That is what I did. I hunt blue quail in west TX and cannot use dogs (way to many cactus). Sometimes someone will sit on the roof to watch where they flush out and land. Once they land they'll run like hell. It helps to see em better. I really like your drawer set up, I may do something like that in the future.

Reactions: Smitty335 and TxDoc
TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice custom fabrication.

In a couple of years, you and your friend will be retired to St Barts Island and raking in money from the "QuailGuy Rack", the hottest, must have accessory on the UTV-SxS market.

Even people who don't need it, don't know how to use it, will absolutely have to get it asap... Cause it looks so cool on their rig!

You'll fly around in your LearJet 75, only going to the ATV/OFF-ROAD shows in Geneva Switzerland and the Principality of Monaco

There IS a market for this already in existence. I think going from idea to fabrication to result is just great. Both of y'all should be proud 🤗.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Q

Quailguy

Dec 17, 2018
Ca
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
What a nice thing to say! I am retired, I don't know anything about metal or welding, but give me a piece of wood and I'll make something pretty.
All I want is a field full of birds, a brace of fine bird dogs, and a gun that shoots straight; that's my heaven.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!