P1000 Do I need dual battery for winch and light bar?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Another issue with a single large battery is where to put it? Under the seat is an obvious and frequently mentioned spot, but I suspect most don't insulate the battery from the heat there. With 77F as a baseline, increasing temperature by just 18F will cut a lead acid battery's life in half. (A six year projected life becomes 3.) So an under seat install should have both insulation and probably also have ducting to bring in fresh air and remove hot air for the battery containment.

Considering this, the two smaller battery under the hood option, that most seem to go for, looks like a more practical choice.
There's a popular aftermarket battery tray for the Talon that mounts it right behind the radiator. :oops: After someone smart mentioned exactly what you just said, I made my own battery tray, mounting it behind the plastic firewall, as protected from the heat as possible.

Sorry for the Talon content - 😊

This -
I ZzPkkkm X2

is hiding behind this -
I MktLHPL X2

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
There's a popular aftermarket battery tray for the Talon that mounts it right behind the radiator. :oops: After someone smart mentioned exactly what you just said, I made my own battery tray, mounting it behind the plastic firewall, as protected from the heat as possible.

Sorry for the Talon content - 😊

This -
View attachment 401362

is hiding behind this -
View attachment 401363
More Talon content....
I made a battery box and mounted my aux battery in the "bed" area. Had cables made to run to the front of the buggy to stingers, then dispersed the electrons from there.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I'm in the process of getting together everything for my dual battery install. I'm just waiting on the Mighty Max and relay for my dual voltmeter to arrive. I wonder why Honda sells the Trail and Forest model as well as offer a winch as an accessory but only has a single battery. Given the concerns over draining the main battery, you'd think Honda would offer or recommend a 2nd battery for a winch. At least they thought enough about it to provide another place that fits a 2nd battery.
its really owner choice and desire to have a backup - nothing wrong with that, just insurance - if main battery fails, simple jumper can get ya going off of second battery as well

a single battery will get you outta most jambs - there may be a time where machine can not run and the winch will draw the battery down to the point of not be able to start back up

there are thousands of machines sold with factory winches\single battery and get along just fine

if you are in a hopeless pickle and down a mountainside- kinda screwed with 2 batteries, winch battery will drain down, cut off will activate and if the machine can start - kinda screwed anyway -

mounting the battery behind the fan just dumps heat on the battery - so under the seat isn’t that bad - no great solves

I carry a jump pack

scuds welcomed

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
What battery is everyone using besides that 300 dollar odyssey extreme?
here we go…….😭😭

Btw - you will get opinions all over the place on this one

IMO - purchase what is reasonable to your pocket - it’s insurance - and at the end of the day it’s just a battery - not a complex device - - keep it simple - there is nothing wrong with same battery that came with machine as your backup - Honda doesn’t put junk in to start with

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What battery is everyone using besides that 300 dollar odyssey extreme?
I use a
YUASA GYZ32HL
Because it was an un used MC spare.
Not cheap, a buck 80..you do get what you pay for.
7 years in a high compression HD and going on 5 years in my wheeler as 2nd.
I run Yuasa in allpowerstoys.
A Yuasa GYZ16 - 20HL is OEM Pioneer and would work too as 2nd, buck 40.
Made in USA

Last edited:
Reactions: TxDoc and Smitty335
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Keep in mind that a lead acid starts life with X amount of capacity. It gains a little with the first few charge/discharge cycles. Then it's all downhill from there. So a mid-age battery, say 3 or 4 years old, won't have the capacity of a new one. Is it wise to change the battery prophylactically after say 4 or 5 years? Depends on how critical it is, and whether you have a "back-up". If the aux battery is the same physical size as the main . . . there's your backup.

So, again to the OP, if a DOA battery would be no big deal (i.e. the vehicle is used around the ranch) you might go with just one. But if you're out and about, and especially if you may need to rescue yourself with the winch (which can draw 200 amps or more, it's wise and cheap insurance to have an Aux battery. A big light bar isn't so much a factor, as the stated wattage is mostly BS advertising. My 54" draws 16 amps or so and the alternator won't be stressed. (Formula is Watts = Volts X Amps)

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Keep in mind that a lead acid starts life with X amount of capacity. It gains a little with the first few charge/discharge cycles. Then it's all downhill from there. So a mid-age battery, say 3 or 4 years old, won't have the capacity of a new one. Is it wise to change the battery prophylactically after say 4 or 5 years? Depends on how critical it is, and whether you have a "back-up". If the aux battery is the same physical size as the main . . . there's your backup.

So, again to the OP, if a DOA battery would be no big deal (i.e. the vehicle is used around the ranch) you might go with just one. But if you're out and about, and especially if you may need to rescue yourself with the winch (which can draw 200 amps or more, it's wise and cheap insurance to have an Aux battery. A big light bar isn't so much a factor, as the stated wattage is mostly BS advertising. My 54" draws 16 amps or so and the alternator won't be stressed. (Formula is Watts = Volts X Amps)
I tell folks they don't necessarily NEED one, but it's good insurance. It's like a fire extinguisher: You don't need it until you need it, so it's up to you to decide if you want to take your chances and save a few dollars and pounds vs try to avoid a long walk out.

Reactions: TxDoc and Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!