P1000 Do I need dual battery for winch and light bar?

B

bacchus

Nov 7, 2022
LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2018 Pioneer 1000-5. Plan on a warn 4500lb winch and a full width light bar. Do I need a second battery setup? Both should only be used when its running except occasionally maybe the light bar would be used a few minutes without it running.

Reactions: NewHere2 and TxDoc
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
2018 Pioneer 1000-5. Plan on a warn 4500lb winch and a full width light bar. Do I need a second battery setup? Both should only be used when its running except occasionally maybe the light bar would be used a few minutes without it running.
I would, that way your running battery isn't effected by any accessories.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The first time I needed my winch, a guy was really stuck, sunk to the skid in packed snow, all four tires were in their own 'pockets', much like a post turtle. That thing wouldn't budge, it was stuck and pulled my primary battery waaaaay down, I was afraid to turn it off, thinking it wouldn't restart.

That event encouraged me to install a second battery.

So, are ya feelin' lucky?

B

bacchus

Nov 7, 2022
LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What's the go to kit for dual battery? I'm guessing you wire all accessories to the second battery and the stator will keep both batteries charged?

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What's the go to kit for dual battery? I'm guessing you wire all accessories to the second battery and the stator will keep both batteries charged?
The club store should have everything you need except the batteries. And @Hondasxs can help you with knowledge. He is full of it! Knowledge that is. 🤣

B

bacchus

Nov 7, 2022
LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My bad....for your troubles :)...bone stock except for lid and windshield...

2 1

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Please correct if wrong....Worst case, if the primary (only) battery you have gets run down to a low enough voltage, then the Dual Clutch Transmission clutches may slip and permanently ruin the clutches and possibly result in needing a new transmission and/or well over $3,000 in repairs.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Please correct if wrong....Worst case, if the primary (only) battery you have gets run down to a low enough voltage, then the Dual Clutch Transmission clutches may slip and permanently ruin the clutches and possibly result in needing a new transmission and/or well over $3,000 in repairs.
Gloom & Doom, you make it sound soo bad! HA! I second the second!

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Anything more than a couple of low amperage lights or accessories, I recommend a second battery and battery isolator. Especially a winch.

For anything I buy, I would never consider NOT having a second battery. Relatively speaking, it's cheap insurance.

Last edited:
Banjo5

Banjo5

Mar 11, 2020
Burlington, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm in the process of getting together everything for my dual battery install. I'm just waiting on the Mighty Max and relay for my dual voltmeter to arrive. I wonder why Honda sells the Trail and Forest model as well as offer a winch as an accessory but only has a single battery. Given the concerns over draining the main battery, you'd think Honda would offer or recommend a 2nd battery for a winch. At least they thought enough about it to provide another place that fits a 2nd battery.

NEfarm_ranch

NEfarm_ranch

Oct 3, 2021
Nebraska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. 1000-3
I frequently pull pivots out with the winch on my '22 p1k3. I also run a basic radio. I don't have a dual battery and haven't had any problems yet. No shifting issues, no problems starting, but I do keep the machine running while using the winch.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I frequently pull pivots out with the winch on my '22 p1k3. I also run a basic radio. I don't have a dual battery and haven't had any problems yet. No shifting issues, no problems starting, but I do keep the machine running while using the winch.
Keeping the engine running is a good idea, especially if you don't have the recommended Aux battery for winching. (Or wenching.)

Consider, the 4,500 winch can draw over 200 amps at full load - winding in a slack line takes 30! The alternator, with the engine running at 5,000 rpm, can make about 50 amps, the engine, with all it's smart stuff, will take some of that, leaving some to help the battery . . . but in NO WAY can it keep up. If the engine is at idle, the alternator is putting out much-much less. And you may be in a situation where you need to winch but cannot run the engine.

Bottom line, if you are going to go interesting places with your P1000, it's very advisable to have an Aux battery and a winch. The Aux will help preserve your main battery to get you home AFTER you get your machine out of whatever predicament you were bright enough to get yourself into! It's like insurance. Or as Dirty Harry said, "Do you feel lucky, Punk? Well do you?"

NewHere2

NewHere2

Village Idiot In Training
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2020
High Plains of SD
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
Keeping the engine running is a good idea, especially if you don't have the recommended Aux battery for winching. (Or wenching.)

Consider, the 4,500 winch can draw over 200 amps at full load - winding in a slack line takes 30! The alternator, with the engine running at 5,000 rpm, can make about 50 amps, the engine, with all it's smart stuff, will take some of that, leaving some to help the battery . . . but in NO WAY can it keep up. If the engine is at idle, the alternator is putting out much-much less. And you may be in a situation where you need to winch but cannot run the engine.

Bottom line, if you are going to go interesting places with your P1000, it's very advisable to have an Aux battery and a winch. The Aux will help preserve your main battery to get you home AFTER you get your machine out of whatever predicament you were bright enough to get yourself into! It's like insurance. Or as Dirty Harry said, "Do you feel lucky, Punk? Well do you?"
There Ya Go ! All Ya Need to Know !

Reactions: TxDoc and Scoop
NEfarm_ranch

NEfarm_ranch

Oct 3, 2021
Nebraska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. 1000-3

I agree with all of this. If you are going way off road it would probably be a necessity. If, like my situation, you will always be in situations you can be rescued, it does work without the dual battery. After a year of hard use and 4,000 + miles the battery is the weakest mechanical component of the machine (cab sucks). This thing is shaping up to be bullet proof. Performance is awesome. Transmission is a dream come true. If/when oem battery fails I will be taking a hard look at a single large battery.

Reactions: TxDoc
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I agree with all of this. If you are going way off road it would probably be a necessity. If, like my situation, you will always be in situations you can be rescued, it does work without the dual battery. After a year of hard use and 4,000 + miles the battery is the weakest mechanical component of the machine (cab sucks). This thing is shaping up to be bullet proof. Performance is awesome. Transmission is a dream come true. If/when oem battery fails I will be taking a hard look at a single large battery.
A second battery is like an umbrella, a firearm, or insurance: It is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Relative to adding an auxiliary battery and isolator, this is pretty cheap insurance if you roam very far away from home or your tow vehicle, especially if you travel alone.

As Mark Twain wrote, "You pays your money and you takes your choice!" Or, in this case, your choice might be to not pay.

Reactions: TxDoc
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
If/when oem battery fails I will be taking a hard look at a single large battery.
A single large battery does have advantages over the smaller OEM battery, but I personally wouldn't run ONLY a single large battery.
IMHO, two batteries, regardless of size, and an isolator is better protection than one large battery.

Reactions: TxDoc and ODAMO
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another issue with a single large battery is where to put it? Under the seat is an obvious and frequently mentioned spot, but I suspect most don't insulate the battery from the heat there. With 77F as a baseline, increasing temperature by just 18F will cut a lead acid battery's life in half. (A six year projected life becomes 3.) So an under seat install should have both insulation and probably also have ducting to bring in fresh air and remove hot air for the battery containment.

Considering this, the two smaller battery under the hood option, that most seem to go for, looks like a more practical choice.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!