P1000 Dual battery kit

gobblerhuntr

gobblerhuntr

Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2022
TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Needing something to do so I’m thinking about adding a duel battery setup for future use. Any advice as to what to add to the kit to make it even better? Addition fuse block, etc. I already have a factory installed fuse block of 5 or 6 fused circuits.

Reactions: ChadD and Scoop
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
A newer product that I think needs a better introduction - Its the Pre-Wired Relay Control Switch Harness

It seems people have trouble wiring up a switch that allows for key-off usage of accessories.
So we designed a pre-wired harness to do just this. The Relay Control Switch.
It allows you to control your accessory's key-on, key-off, or completely off.
And of course, you need a relay to control power, such as a stinger.

gobblerhuntr

gobblerhuntr

Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2022
TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What are your thoughts on installing a lithium duel battery kit even if you don’t have lithium batteries yet? Will it degrade two regular batteries?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
What are your thoughts on installing a lithium duel battery kit even if you don’t have lithium batteries yet? Will it degrade two regular batteries?
It won't degrade it, I don't think. The Lithium isolator just has a higher volt connection point.
My recommendation on Lithium is to replace the OEM with Lithium and keep a common deep cell as a secondary.
My reasonings are due to light research and most big winch manufacturers who do not recommend lithium batteries for winching.

RoyLee89

RoyLee89

Dec 31, 2019
Staunton Va, & Okeechobee, FL.
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X4

4. Big Red
So put the winch on the secondary battery?
Yes, i have my winch and all acc on the dual/ 2nd battery. I have it setup on a switch panel to turn on the power relay to enable power to the bus bar for all acc. so I dont need a key on to have a winch or radio on/working. i also have dual over head fans.

Have a full size redtop car battery under the driver seat run the cable from the battery to the hood. As well as grounded the battery on the frame.
Its not pretty right now but it works and one of these days I'll take the time to clean it up. i was in test phase/config over a year ago.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Needing something to do so I’m thinking about adding a duel battery setup for future use. Any advice as to what to add to the kit to make it even better? Addition fuse block, etc. I already have a factory installed fuse block of 5 or 6 fused circuits.
Start with watching this video by fellow HSXS member @RobSparre.

Continuous duty solenoid/relay, isolator, and either a fuse panel and applicable relays per circuit and/or an Auxbeam 8 gang panel. Definitely run a dual voltmeter to allow you to monitor each battery independent of one another.

Next, as @Hondasxs said above, include a DPDT switch to be able to run your accessories either key-on OR without the key being on. No need to have the key on and run the OEM battery down if you're just parked and listening to the radio or something. That would pretty much circumvent the point of the isolator.

Finally, ALL your aftermarket accessories, lights, etc., should be on the AUX side of things. After all, the primary purpose of the isolator is to protect your OEM battery so you can start your machine and get home (the DCT loves proper voltage). Ideally, your winch (primary positive and negative cables should both go back to the battery posts on the AUX battery.

EDIT: If you live/operate in climates that get cold (below 32F), consider using a marine rated continuous duty solenoid instead of the Stinger brand to avoid freeze ups. Cole Hersee 24117-01-BP is very popular. There is an 85A version as well (24117-BX I believe).

Last edited:
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My current setup is OE primary battery in OE location with a full size marine deep cell under the driver seat. My wife and I can listen to the radio for hours while we are gardening. I have the regular UTV TrueAm Isolator and all of my accessories run on the auxiliary battery using an ignition powered relay ( minus my winch which is direct to power and ground on the auxiliary battery) from the cigarette plug pigtail purchased from the HondaSXS store.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Interesting question.
I just installed a new SLA AGM primary battery, and I avoided lithium because I have a standard Tru isolator and standard SLA AGM dual battery.
I read that you shouldn't use lithium in a dual setup unless both batteries are lithium and the isolator is designed for lithium. Don't know how it works the other way around.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My current setup is OE primary battery in OE location with a full size marine deep cell under the driver seat. My wife and I can listen to the radio for hours while we are gardening. I have the regular UTV TrueAm Isolator and all of my accessories run on the auxiliary battery using an ignition powered relay ( minus my winch which is direct to power and ground on the auxiliary battery) from the cigarette plug pigtail purchased from the HondaSXS store.

I think the under seat battery location would be good and/or certainly convenient, but only with adequate ventilation if one cares about battery life. And therein lies the problem, as it get's hot under there. The fix, aside from cooling that battery with a fan, would be ducting cool ram air in. This was done on my previous Mooney 201, but there you have 180 mph going on outside, so a 1" vent was more than adequate.

"As lead acid batteries absorb high heat, chemical activity in the battery accelerates. This reduces service life at a rate of 50% for every 18°F (10°C) increase from 77°F (25°C)."

Reactions: Robobrainiac
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think the under seat battery location would be good and/or certainly convenient, but only with adequate ventilation if one cares about battery life. And therein lies the problem, as it get's hot under there. The fix, aside from cooling that battery with a fan, would be ducting cool ram air in. This was done on my previous Mooney 201, but there you have 180 mph going on outside, so a 1" vent was more than adequate.

"As lead acid batteries absorb high heat, chemical activity in the battery accelerates. This reduces service life at a rate of 50% for every 18°F (10°C) increase from 77°F (25°C)."
I have never checked the temperature under the seat, I do run a radiator fan during summer rides.

If I have to replace batteries more often I am ok with that since it allows very extended use of the sound system while the machine is not running.

Reactions: Lady01
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have never checked the temperature under the seat, I do run a radiator fan during summer rides.

If I have to replace batteries more often I am ok with that since it allows very extended use of the sound system while the machine is not running.
no need to get scientific or make an engineering project out of it, it’s just a battery - use some common sense for best practical location (don’t mount behind radiator under hood) and make progress

not even sure my talon battery is “adequately ventilated” - sits in that black almost sealed box near the engine - maybe I should mount on roof - lol

Reactions: Robobrainiac

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!