P500 dog in your p500

Misterrobert

Misterrobert

Sep 6, 2018
Melrose, NY
Ownership

1. 500
trying to get my dog to come along with me but shes still apprehensive about jumping in. she jumps in my truck before me so she likes vehicles, just not this yet. anyone have experience taking your dog(s) out? if so how do you keep them steady on ruts, etc. and how do you keep them from running after wildlife? pics appreciated of course.

C

Chartmarker

Jun 11, 2018
Tucson, Az.
Ownership

1. 500
Dogs love trucks including ours but when we got our first side by side our dog wanted nothing to do with it we tried everything to get her to hop in and to ride. Our neighbor had a dog that lived to ride.. So we asked the neighbors dog to hop into our side by side with our dog watching and after several show and tells our dog willingly hopped into our side by side. As for keeping the dog into the side by side we built side rails that helped a great deal but they still jump our dog jumped out ran after deer once was gone quite a while came back with quite a bit of the desert attached to her. Again dogs are pretty smart she never did that again. We also take our neighbors dog out riding with us she decide to one day jump out after a rabbit onto a choya cactus. She never did that again. Both dogs learn their lesson after one bad experience neither one is done a jump sense. I don't have my phone with me now but later I can show you some pictures of the beds we made for the animals to ride in and now they both live to ride all I have to do is see the key and they're ready to ride

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
Dogs love trucks including ours but when we got our first side by side our dog wanted nothing to do with it we tried everything to get her to hop in and to ride. Our neighbor had a dog that lived to ride.. So we asked the neighbors dog to hop into our side by side with our dog watching and after several show and tells our dog willingly hopped into our side by side. As for keeping the dog into the side by side we built side rails that helped a great deal but they still jump our dog jumped out ran after deer once was gone quite a while came back with quite a bit of the desert attached to her. Again dogs are pretty smart she never did that again. We also take our neighbors dog out riding with us she decide to one day jump out after a rabbit onto a choya cactus. She never did that again. Both dogs learn their lesson after one bad experience neither one is done a jump sense. I don't have my phone with me now but later I can show you some pictures of the beds we made for the animals to ride in and now they both live to ride all I have to do is see the key and they're ready to ride
Can't start the p5 without her getting exited. as far as in the ruff stuff the wife holds her (all 11pounds). To keep her from running off we keep aleash on her at all times.

dls1966

dls1966

Mar 4, 2018
Kawkawlin Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
My dog doesn't really care for riding in the truck but the minute my p500 starts you can't keep her out
In fact the only time she's willing to get in the truck is if the pioneer is on the trailer and she doesn't even want to chase any kritters
But she's kinda lazy
20180903 105642

Miss_Oak

Miss_Oak

Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2016
California
Ownership

1. 500
Mine LOVE going but sometimes its a tough jump for them getting up there. I have those two removable side racks on my 4wheeler so they don't go flying off if im chasing something or in a rush. I've always meant to put some on the p5 also but haven't gotten around to it.

As long as you have a good handle on your dog to "come" or "down" ect. he shouldn't go running off because you can stop him with the command. You can teach him with a long piece of baling twine or clothesline. I like something lightweight. Let him get 10-20 feet out and give him the come command so that he knows at a distance he still has to obey. There are lots of ways to teach them.

It may depend on the dog tho. I had a 7 pound stocky built miniature pincher 30 years ago that was a pistol with a mind of her own! In the yard/house she obeyed like an angel but let her out on the ranch-- she'd take off running full bore, I'd say Come and she'd pretty much flip me the bird, she'd have a big ol smile on her face with her tongue flappin in the wind and keep on fly'n happier than hell !!! :D Haha I never did break her of it. I loved her tons, one of my most favorite dogs BUT will NEVER get another min pin!!! Haha

Good luck:)

IMG 1783 IMG 4994

mrjeff42

mrjeff42

Mar 22, 2015
lagrange georgia
Ownership

1. 500
trying to get my dog to come along with me but shes still apprehensive about jumping in. she jumps in my truck before me so she likes vehicles, just not this yet. anyone have experience taking your dog(s) out? if so how do you keep them steady on ruts, etc. and how do you keep them from running after wildlife? pics appreciated of course.
I have the same problem with my dog.... loves riding in the truck but can't make her get in the P5.... she just doesn't know what she is missing...

advertisement
sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
IMG 4590
If I leave the door open on my 500 the two dogs will stay in it all the time. If I take one step towards the shed where the SXS is stored, both take off in a dead run and sit by the door waiting for me. Black one is Dixie,an 80 pound Catahoula, red one is her daughter, Rosie,60 pounds of 1/2 Catahoula,1/4 mountain cur,1/4 bulldog. They like to ride in my truck, the SXS and the wife's golf cart. I bought the 500 in 2014, Dixie wasn't born until 2015, so she was raised around it, as was Rosie, there was never a time they didn't want to ride in it. When Dixie was 10 months old she was in the cab of my truck when we had a really bad truck wreck, hit head on by a 3/4 ton truck estimated to have been going 60-70mph, we were sitting still in a turning lane. Anyway how we both survived is a miracle, but she refused to ride in a truck again for about 6 months, now she will, but it took a while.

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
I have an Australian Sheppard that loves to truck/car ride but will only ride in the P500 when i have the doors on it. Guess that is what she is used to. Doors on will set or lay in passenger seat, doors off she has ADD and jumps out to chase things.

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
My mutt goes nuts whenever a single cylinder engine fires up.She is game for the riding lawnmower,P-5,Yamaha YZ250 dirtbike.it doesn't matter.I had her riding ever since she was a small puppy.I do think she prefers the P-5 over the Foreman 500 I had before.

gatorguy

gatorguy

May 15, 2015
Florida
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Same here. My chocolate lab loves riding in our Pioneer. She wouldn't try my old Honda Rancher at all. I had to pick her up and hold her on the seat a few times to get her used to the Pioneer. Now she comes running if I fire it up and she's outside. As for jumping off, I trained her to wait for my command to get off the P5. We make her sit before she walks through a door so it was kind of second nature for her. Heck, sometimes I forget to tell her "alright" to jump down and she's still sitting in the seat 5-10 minutes after I shut off the P5 and start working on something etc.

M

Mike Martsolf

Apr 20, 2015
elko, Nevada
Ownership

1. 500

Our Gus has settled into riding & must have a ride each day. Have a padded step and harness he wears. Just took a few trips and he was hooked.

IMG 3290

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!