P1000 Don’t have my 1000-5 yet but why dual batteries?

D

Dirter

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2022
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I see all kinds of posts about how to do and the best to do it with but not really why. Why do these things need 2? Is the alternator just not up to the task of keeping the stocker charged? And if it can’t charge 1 how will it ever charge 2? Maybe it just has to be a routine thing, like filling with gas, to put it on a trickle charger at the end of a day’s ride. Perhaps y’all just turn on the lights and radio and let it sit all day jamming with a cold case?

I’ve been stocking up on goodies to install once my ride hits the dealer and if this dual battery thing is a necessary evil to be dealt with I might as well get the stuff ordered now.

thanks.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm sure some others with more knowledge will chime in, but here's my take on it. There was quite a bit of problems with the early 2016 having clutch issues. Many thought a drop in voltage might be leading to these problems. People were getting stuck and using there winches while trying to drive out, which led to burn up clutches. It was found later that the clutch problems were related to an oiling problem and I haven't heard of many if not any problems since that was fixed. The dual clutch system is still sensitive to electrical drops, but I think if you are not going to extravagant with electrical accessories (big radios, huge light bars) you will probably be fine with the single battery. I ended up putting a second one on mine because I had bought everything I needed for my previous 700. A friend of mine just has the 1 battery and doesn't have any trouble at all. He uses his rig for snow plowing which runs the winch alot, all while running 6 cube lights and a 12 volt heater to stay warm in the cab. Just my 2 cents.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I see all kinds of posts about how to do and the best to do it with but not really why. Why do these things need 2? Is the alternator just not up to the task of keeping the stocker charged? And if it can’t charge 1 how will it ever charge 2? Maybe it just has to be a routine thing, like filling with gas, to put it on a trickle charger at the end of a day’s ride. Perhaps y’all just turn on the lights and radio and let it sit all day jamming with a cold case?

I’ve been stocking up on goodies to install once my ride hits the dealer and if this dual battery thing is a necessary evil to be dealt with I might as well get the stuff ordered now.

thanks.
Can you hear the thunder of approaching opinions? I went through it myself just over a year ago.

I'll start by just skimming the surface. The Pioneer 1000-5's do not need a second battery. They do, however, have electronic clutches and some of the early models were sensitive to weak batteries. It doesn't seem like this is as much of an issue on newer models.
Where dual batteries become more wanted/needed (pick one) is when you add all those wonderful power sucking goodies and use them a lot. So you don't need dual batteries to use a winch. If, like me, you are going to plow a lot with a lot of frequent lifting, it becomes a better idea. If you are going to plow and winch a lot, whilst lighting up the horizon with 52" light bars, then the second battery is the right way to go.
I also ride deep in the back country and my dual voltmeter gives me the comfort of knowing if one battery went down fast, I have a spare. Especially if I've jammed all day with a cold case (and a designated driver, of course).

Welcome to the site.

Last edited:
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What @StewB said^^, and I'll add.

If you are ever in a position where you need to use the winch and can't run the engine, the second battery will come in handy as there is not much on-board capacity to winch for very long. Consider a 4,500 lb winch can draw up to about 180 amps at full load - less at partial loading but still a lot! When the engine is turning 5,000 rpm, the stator can provide up to 50 amps. Note that is not nearly enough to supply the winch. The deficit balance must come from on-board battery capacity. If you don't have a second battery, will there be enough to complete the winching chore? If you have a tough self-rescue, will there be enough primary battery capacity remaining to run the on-board electrical system to operate the vehicle?

The second battery is about redundancy.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You have to have dual batteries in order to have 2 batteries. It's just a fact ......

The reason for why is because you can't count to 2 without two things to count.

:p

Otherwise what others already stated is true.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You have to have dual batteries in order to have 2 batteries. It's just a fact ......

What he said???

No matter.

Spoken with the deep and clear understanding of a true spiritual guru.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, I've gone heavy with lighting, but the main reason I like having the second battery with an isolator is so that when we're having a forest party I can run the tunes for hours (and maybe a side flood light for hanging out) and I don't need to worry about beating up my starting battety.

D

Dirter

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2022
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I just so happen to have a spare Interstate 600 amp extra battery. If I get some two sided tape I could stick it under the seat and run twin double ought cables to it and use it as my second dual. Maybe even add a 2-way double pole switch.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Post 63 details some of my under seat power. I strongly agree with everyone's opinion above. I run a dual battery so my winch always has some extra juice if needed and so my wife can listen to music at the garden while she works all day.

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Can you hear the thunder of approaching opinions? I went through it myself just over a year ago.

I'll start by just skimming the surface. The Pioneer 1000-5's do not need a second battery. They do, however, have electronic clutches and some of the early models were sensitive to weak batteries. It doesn't seem like this is as much of an issue on newer models.
Where dual batteries become more wanted/needed (pick one) is when you add all those wonderful power sucking goodies and use them a lot. So you don't need dual batteries to use a winch. If, like me, you are going to plow a lot with a lot of frequent lifting, it becomes a better idea. If you are going to plow and winch a lot, whilst lighting up the horizon with 52" light bars, then the second battery is the right way to go.
I also ride deep in the back country and my dual voltmeter gives me the comfort of knowing if one battery went down fast, I have a spare. Especially if I've jammed all day with a cold case (and a designated driver, of course).

Welcome to the site.
Great response !!

Reactions: Smitty335
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, I've gone heavy with lighting, but the main reason I like having the second battery with an isolator is so that when we're having a forest party I can run the tunes for hours (and maybe a side flood light for hanging out) and I don't need to worry about beating up my starting battety.
It's people like you who upset the balance of nature by keeping all the little forest animals awake far past their bedtime. You cad!

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just so happen to have a spare Interstate 600 amp extra battery. If I get some two sided tape I could stick it under the seat and run twin double ought cables to it and use it as my second dual. Maybe even add a 2-way double pole switch.
You could also make a fortune by hooking that sucker up and offering "trailside stick-welding and repair services".

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Keeps the bears away too
Maybe I should try that. I live in what's left of a 100+ year old apple orchard. We've planted a few new trees as well. Bears come down the mountain and get all liquored up on the fermented ground apples. (They'll break into cars so we don't leave keys in to keep them from DUI.) Did you know bears are Democrats? Not forward thinkers at all. They'll limb a tree to get at one apple near the top. Nary a thought to next year.

I have an electric fence to try to protect the threes. Tie a small rag on the wire with a bit of bacon grease. Bears arrive nose first, astounding acceleration as they depart. 0 to 30 in about 1 second.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Maybe I should try that. I live in what's left of a 100+ year old apple orchard. We've planted a few new trees as well. Bears come down the mountain and get all liquored up on the fermented ground apples. (They'll break into cars so we don't leave keys in to keep them from DUI.) Did you know bears are Democrats? Not forward thinkers at all. They'll limb a tree to get at one apple near the top. Nary a thought to next year.

I have an electric fence to try to protect the threes. Tie a small rag on the wire with a bit of bacon grease. Bears arrive nose first, astounding acceleration as they depart. 0 to 30 in about 1 second.
Bears have destroyed my fruit trees the last 3 years. Beavers eat most of the bark off my 2 best peach trees 6 years ago. 1 finally died last year and the other is barely hanging on.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It’s not absolutely necessary but you’ll want that extra juice at some point.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!