P1000 Don’t like the trans

C

Chris-Rog

Jan 27, 2019
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Pioneer 1000-3 with 68 miles, will do first service in two weeks. Just as the title states, I am really trying to like this machine and on most accounts I do. I felt less than good about it 6 weeks ago when an almost brand new machine wouldn’t start in 1 degree weather. Ice fishing factor is a huge reason for buying. Whatever......I got over it. My “issue” is prior to today I didn’t really ever “jump” on it for fear of ruining something during break-in period. Today is the day I really drove it hard and I don’t know, the transmission just seems jerky for lack of better word. I know it’s not belt driven but it just seems like high rpm low geared shifts and many of them. Yes I know most of my driving will be slower, but the “fun”factor is lacking a tad. Any thought?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pioneer 1000-3 with 68 miles, will do first service in two weeks. Just as the title states, I am really trying to like this machine and on most accounts I do. I felt less than good about it 6 weeks ago when an almost brand new machine wouldn’t start in 1 degree weather. Ice fishing factor is a huge reason for buying. Whatever......I got over it. My “issue” is prior to today I didn’t really ever “jump” on it for fear of ruining something during break-in period. Today is the day I really drove it hard and I don’t know, the transmission just seems jerky for lack of better word. I know it’s not belt driven but it just seems like high rpm low geared shifts and many of them. Yes I know most of my driving will be slower, but the “fun”factor is lacking a tad. Any thought?
All I can suggest is stick it out!
The shifting, the noise,damn near everything gets better after the first service.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Gotta agree with Neohio they do smooth out some. Some people swear buy the Throttle Maxx might look into that. Possibly try running in manual mode and shift yourself, you can keep rpm down a little that way. Also you do accustom yourself a little.

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
+1 on both the transmission smoothing out and using manual mode to avoid frequent shifts/searching when putting around.

The other thing I would say is "high" seems way smoother than "low". If you are keeping it above 5 mile per hour (I believe is the cut off), you might be well served to stay in "high" gear.

X4Dice

X4Dice

Jun 3, 2016
USA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
I live in northern MN and last week it was -10 and -12 out and It fired right up.We use it everyday and its not in the heat,unless it is below -20. I does not start as good as last year when I was running synthetic. I would check your gas and vents. I use sea foam every time I fill up. When it is cold I do not manually shift it until it is good and warm. I have 3400 or so miles on mine and you will see a great improvement after the first oil change. Give it time.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As others have said, it definitely smooths out after the first service and as you put more miles on it.

As for your cold start issue, I’d suggest adding a battery tender if you haven’t already. I run a battery tender Jr on all my toys and have for years. Everything fires right up even in the dead of New Hampshire winter. Batteries seem to last a lot longer too. I’ve got little over 6 years and still going strong on the oem battery in my sportsman 800.

Edit since other people mentioned fuel additives: I run Startron in everything. 1 oz per 5 gallon can of gas. 89 octane if that matters. I run this in everything: mowers, wheelers, chainsaws, generator, wood splitter, etc.

Last edited:
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The machine just gets better with time. I have the throttle max and I use it a lot when I get into tough terrain when low range is required.

After 100 miles or so the machine starts to smooth out and you also unknowingly learn how to drive it without jerking you around. Either buy a throttle max or buy a barn door hinge and make one yourself. Either way they help a lot. Before the throttle max my wife looked like she was on a bucking bronco and now she can just jump in and use the throttle max and drive it is smooth as can be.

Today she was cruising the woods and digging up Oakleaf hydrangeas and bringing them back to plant the yard. She look like a natural driving it around. She’s only 5’ 4” and obviously small feet so the throttle max is the difference.

Reactions: Plumber32
O

OleRed

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes stick with it— I was in the same boat. I rested the side of my foot on the tunnel next to gas pedal to help with jerky throttle at first... I ran everywhere in H and in auto. Now I am 2-300miles in it is mainly L and manual. Soon as I hit road it is in H and manual. If long ride on road I put it in auto. I know now exactly what it wants to do and doesn’t. There is plenty of thought put into this machine by the mfg and it only starts to come out after you get some miles on it.

Like a fine wine it gets better with time... but then again I drink cheap beer... so not sure how that all adds up. Wine aside, you will love your machine in time. Just got to earn it

Someone say beer?

aprils_fool

aprils_fool

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2017
Big Rapids, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The P1k5 is the first SxS I have owned but I have ridden in and drove many different models over the years.
It is a little jerky and the shift sound clunky but IT WILL get better as you get some miles on it.

I've had all campaigns/recalls performed by choice not from failure. It currently sits at just over 2900 miles and I drive it like I stole it, and have since day 1.

Transmission shifts smooth and works flawlessly.

I run high range auto 90% of the time and use the paddles to shift if I feel like its lugging or revving more than I like.

I only run low range when i'm pulling a trailer or in a really tight area in the woods that requires it so you're able to creep around with some finesse.

I drove a friends can am commander last summer and it seemed like you had to be in the throttle all the time if you weren't it was slowing down. I never noticed it before but after all the miles in the P1k5 it drove me crazy!!

Stick with it and I think you will be more than pleased that you did!!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

C

Chris-Rog

Jan 27, 2019
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Also it’s not strictly just the gearing but it amounts to speed. Not sure how to explain only compare it to the Ranger 900 I test drove before I bought the pioneer, the Ranger seemed to rip pretty quick. Hopefully the pioneer will do the same

sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also it’s not strictly just the gearing but it amounts to speed. Not sure how to explain only compare it to the Ranger 900 I test drove before I bought the pioneer, the Ranger seemed to rip pretty quick. Hopefully the pioneer will do the same

So, you don't feel like the Pioneer has a good throttle response?

C

Chris-Rog

Jan 27, 2019
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It has good throttle response but just doesn’t go anywhere fast. It seems like high rpm but low gear shifts. Are you guys saying yours are popping your heads back? My kid bought a Polaris 570 four wheeler last summer and that thing will walk all over my 1000. I know it weighs more than double but it’s not even close. Maybe there is something wrong with mine?

X4Dice

X4Dice

Jun 3, 2016
USA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
You are overthinking this. Either find someone with a machine with 300+ miles or put 300 miles on yours and you will see what everybody is talking about. I personally will never buy anything but this transmission. Watch the YouTube guys SXS blog they did on the talon X. They were blown away with the same slightly improved transmission we all have.

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It has good throttle response but just doesn’t go anywhere fast. It seems like high rpm but low gear shifts. Are you guys saying yours are popping your heads back? My kid bought a Polaris 570 four wheeler last summer and that thing will walk all over my 1000. I know it weighs more than double but it’s not even close. Maybe there is something wrong with mine?

Mine throws my head back for sure. Very similar to my XP 1000 straight line IMO. Maybe a traction issue if you are mostly in snow/ice?

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
An upside of a CVT type of transmission like a Polaris has is that the engine is always at the RPM where it makes the most power. Gears will bring the engine to below peak power RPM and then above and back down again with each gear shift. A downside with CVT is if you want to putt around at 10 mph, you're gonna be around 4500 rpm. With gears, you can upshift and putt around at 2200 RPM. CVT is always buttery smooth. Honda's gears are clunky when new but as others have stated, they smooth out and quiet down after a few hundred miles and continue to smooth and quiet down for a few thousand miles. CVT clutch weights and pins and pucks will wear out after a few thousand miles. Just gotta pick your downsides and upsides carefully!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
An upside of a CVT type of transmission like a Polaris has is that the engine is always at the RPM where it makes the most power. Gears will bring the engine to below peak power RPM and then above and back down again with each gear shift. A downside with CVT is if you want to putt around at 10 mph, you're gonna be around 4500 rpm. With gears, you can upshift and putt around at 2200 RPM. CVT is always buttery smooth. Honda's gears are clunky when new but as others have stated, they smooth out and quiet down after a few hundred miles and continue to smooth and quiet down for a few thousand miles. CVT clutch weights and pins and pucks will wear out after a few thousand miles. Just gotta pick your downsides and upsides carefully!
Good analysis. ;)

Reactions: aprils_fool
C

Chris-Rog

Jan 27, 2019
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Mine throws my head back for sure. Very similar to my XP 1000 straight line IMO. Maybe a traction issue if you are mostly in snow/ice?
I tried ripping it on dry pavement. I highly doubt I’m going to sell it and I do like it. I hope to get it on the farm soon and see how she works there. Hopefully after 1st service she rips faster and smoother. Thanks

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!