sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, dude, when I put my foot down, my 2016 1000-5 moves. It down shifts once or twice and gets up the road. Not sure what you are looking for, but mine was so jerky my son, 13, threw me into the windshield while trying to get a handle on it. The clutches hook up and she goes. I looked for a couple of years till I found this Honda. She is a perfect blend of work and play. You'll be happy, let her get some age and you'll miss not being in her.

L

Landlord9000

Feb 10, 2018
Springfield, MO
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It's a geared trans, and it lets you know! I agree on to off throttle can be jerky, more than belt drives. Clutch recall smoothed mine out a lot. Good oil in diffs and motor/gears helps too. I guess I kinda like the feel, it's a stick shift compared to an automatic . I also like being able to cruise in 6th at relatively low rpm, where the belt drives raise rpm with speed. Go do 30 in a ranger, and it's huffing along at high rpm, where the Honda just glides . I came from belts and love the geared feel, but it's different for sure .

S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Pioneer 1000-3 with 68 miles, will do first service in two weeks. Just as the title states, I am really trying to like this machine and on most accounts I do. I felt less than good about it 6 weeks ago when an almost brand new machine wouldn’t start in 1 degree weather. Ice fishing factor is a huge reason for buying. Whatever......I got over it. My “issue” is prior to today I didn’t really ever “jump” on it for fear of ruining something during break-in period. Today is the day I really drove it hard and I don’t know, the transmission just seems jerky for lack of better word. I know it’s not belt driven but it just seems like high rpm low geared shifts and many of them. Yes I know most of my driving will be slower, but the “fun”factor is lacking a tad. Any thought?
Like Sugarray said the clutches hook up with no slipping, this is a manual trans. In your car even with the torque converter locked up with no sllippage between the engine and trans, the clutches in the the transmission on your car engage slower making a smoother shift. The pioneer uses solonoids to shift, eng engauge the clutches alot quicker,. The positive clutch engaugement really makes engine braking much better than a CVT hope that makes senses to you. Bottom line I think it's a much better system. That's why I bought a Pioneer. JMHO.

C

Chris-Rog

Jan 27, 2019
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for the replies. Wish it “ripped” a bit more but like I said earlier, that’s an overall small portion of my riding style.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
i dont have the 1k i have the 700 with 3k miles on it. at around 100 miles youll start slowly seeing a change. and it wont stop and settle out till around 1k miles. from that point on will be how it reacts and rides. been flat out on mine since day one. its slow at accelerating but hey i only have 3 gears and 27s that weight about 150 lbs over stock tires in total. 5 yrs 5 oil changes 8 front brake changes 2 rear brake changes and 1 air filter. is the only work that has been done to mine . and i mud and go deep water

Reactions: Mudwing
E

Elbow

Jul 25, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In my experience, the throttle is impossible to control smoothly on slow, rough, hilly trails. It's not a matter of practice and experience, or mileage on the machine, like some say. I have 60 years of experience driving all types of machines and my machine has 3500 kms.
Also, the Honda Pioneer has no power at all (not enough rpm's) until you get to 7 kph in low gear, which makes it very hard to use on rough hilly trails. And at very slow speeds on rough terrain, the clutch tends to slip. This machine needs a lower gear.
But as usual, Honda blames these problems on "Operator Error". Honda's "brilliant" solution is to use the winch.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
In my experience, the throttle is impossible to control smoothly on slow, rough, hilly trails. It's not a matter of practice and experience, or mileage on the machine, like some say. I have 60 years of experience driving all types of machines and my machine has 3500 kms.
Also, the Honda Pioneer has no power at all (not enough rpm's) until you get to 7 kph in low gear, which makes it very hard to use on rough hilly trails. And at very slow speeds on rough terrain, the clutch tends to slip. This machine needs a lower gear.
But as usual, Honda blames these problems on "Operator Error". Honda's "brilliant" solution is to use the winch.
I made a heel stop and screwed it to the floor board to anchor my heel against to help with the bouncy skinny pedal.

GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Maybe someone else will answer the other 3 identical posts with another comment. I haven’t noticed anything that he’s referencing with mine.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You should drop on down into idaho and I’ll learn ya how to drive these fukn things.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yeah, I hear all Yamahas have a good trans in them.......😬

NoMo!!!!
And they use alot not of this…
Attachment

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!