Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
Baldwin-Motion built and sold Chevy Vegas with numerous V-8 Engine options. I remember these being very popular and one of the fastest cars of the day. Imagine what a Big Block (427 or 454) powered B/M documented vehicle would fetch at auction these days? The EPA shut them down like most of the other tuners of the day. Sounds like someone is looking to build a P5 with the same flavor. There are very few B/M Vegas that survive as they went fast in a straight line but didn't handle considering the increased weight and power stuffed in a light weight economy car. Recently, there was a discussion regarding a P1K with a Talon engine swap. This would make a potent farm/ranch and backroad brawler, but running something like this through the trails would be sketchy at best and would probably succumb to its design considering the carnage some have inflicted with stock power. I'm fired up and watching this thread. ☠️☠️🍿🍿🍿☠️☠️

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
I don't really want much speed on the trails, but the P5 needs more power on hills and rocks. So, I'm definitely interested.

@906UP, I saw a banged up P7 on FBM recently if you'd like for me to find it again.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Baldwin-Motion built and sold Chevy Vegas with numerous V-8 Engine options. I remember these being very popular and one of the fastest cars of the day. Imagine what a Big Block (427 or 454) powered B/M documented vehicle would fetch at auction these days? The EPA shut them down like most of the other tuners of the day. Sounds like someone is looking to build a P5 with the same flavor. There are very few B/M Vegas that survive as they went fast in a straight line but didn't handle considering the increased weight and power stuffed in a light weight economy car. Recently, there was a discussion regarding a P1K with a Talon engine swap. This would make a potent farm/ranch and backroad brawler, but running something like this through the trails would be sketchy at best and would probably succumb to its design considering the carnage some have inflicted with stock power. I'm fired up and watching this thread. ☠️☠️🍿🍿🍿☠️☠️
Should all this work out this is definitely not going to be "trail friendly", more of a ..... HOLD MY BEER & hope I don't die neighborhood/campground cruiser sorta rig

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
Should all this work out this is definitely not going to be "trail friendly", more of a ..... HOLD MY BEER & hope I don't die neighborhood/campground cruiser sorta rig
Yeah, and you definitely should be guzzling a cold one. This will elevate you to lunatic status instantly. You might be a Redneck if .....

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I don't really want much speed on the trails, but the P5 needs more power on hills and rocks. So, I'm definitely interested.

@906UP, I saw a banged up P7 on FBM recently if you'd like for me to find it again.
A P7 would be a relatively easy swap but there's not a big increase in HP..... 5 or 6 I think.

I'm thinking a YXZ1000 might be a likely candidate. They use a divorced trans. The P1K/T1K has the output shaft on the opposite side vs the P5/P7.

advertisement
The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
I am fairly certain he has put some thought and research into all this before investing in this endeavor.

I would bet your Fudge Rounds on it.. Double Stuff ones even.
I meant while he tried to find a donor 1k. I mean, what else are you going to do with a rebuilt p5 engine once the 1K engine is ready for the transplant?

Hoosier1960

Hoosier1960

Lifetime Member
Jul 26, 2023
Indiana
Ownership

1. 500
I once bought a Vega wagon and had a 327 engine and 400 turbo automatic transmission for it. We had decided on the automatic because the guys with manual trans were having problems when they did a higher rom shift it would rack the body and pop the windshield out, lol.

advertisement