P1000 DrFubar's Videos and other somewhat interesting stuff!

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Suarez:

THE OBSESSION WITH SPEED

Time for a perspective check. Every so often, the temptation returns to us all. It could be the video we saw on social media with the "youtube hero" doing something really fast. It could be the competitive shooter running a stage. But the bug nibbles on your earlobe.

"Gooooooo fassssssterrrrr".

I have my opinions on this. I have read all the old time killers.And understand...all of this is in fact about killing, and only coincidentally about hitting a steel or perforating a cardboard. Killing an armed and threatening adversary is the point of the exercise and regardless of all the flash and fanfare of the day, we should not forget that.

Charles Askins was the quintessential killer. I read everything about him. I think we would have been the best of friends actually. I have also read Bill Jordan. He is reported to have done some killing but nothing of record that I can find. And Bryce...he was quite the killer.

What all the killers shared was not speed. Oh gasp...was that another cow on his way to the fire?

What the killers shared was not IDPA-like speed.

It was a combination of a deliberate decision to kill that man standing there in front of them, and the timing of their action in relation to events. Often while that other man was still saying "Good morning copper" (as they debated whether to draw or not), the heroes in the story...the Bryces...the Askins, and the Jordans, were already drawing with a resolute mind to kill them.

To put it in perspective for the gun-game-centric readers, imagine the referee saying, "Shooter Ready...Stand...By" and at the "stand"...before the "by", you kick off the action and kill all the targets, violating three or four procedural rules in the process. I laugh at the mere thought. Why...it would be unfair wouldn't it. All the other bullet-golfers would protest. And its true -it would in fact be against the rules. But that my friends is what killing is really like. It is about breaking the rules, but doing it in a controlled and deliberate manner.

Fair fights and rules are for the movies.

I have done my share of shooting and killing criminal back in the day. The record speaks for itself. As much as was dependent on me, I always took every justifiable advantage. If I could shoot them in the back when they were reloading, I did. If I could shoot them before they ever saw me, I did. I never warned them, nor gave them a shot at me. I was not John Wayne, The Lone Ranger, nor Chuck Norris...nor did I ever want to be.

So here is a secret.

While speed is of some value...it is never only nor always about speed.

It is about distraction and seizing the moment when the adversary is not focused on you directly.

It is about timing your actions. If your timing is correct even a perceptibly slow draw will be impossible for him to react to.

It is about positioning and maneuver before and during the action.

And specially, it is about being deliberate in your actions. Deliberate does not mean slow. It is a resolute decision to act being carried out in a direct and effective manner. It may seem fast to the eye, but the sense of it internally is different than what the common conception is of being fast.

Killing is easy. Once you can kill the bad guy in your heart and mind...deliberately. The physical action is easy.

As Musashi would say, think on these matters deeply.

J

Jshell3

Suarez:

THE OBSESSION WITH SPEED

Time for a perspective check. Every so often, the temptation returns to us all. It could be the video we saw on social media with the "youtube hero" doing something really fast. It could be the competitive shooter running a stage. But the bug nibbles on your earlobe.

I have my opinions on this. I have read all the old time killers.And understand...all of this is in fact about killing, and only coincidentally about hitting a steel or perforating a cardboard. Killing an armed and threatening adversary is the point of the exercise and regardless of all the flash and fanfare of the day, we should not forget that.

Charles Askins was the quintessential killer. I read everything about him. I think we would have been the best of friends actually. I have also read Bill Jordan. He is reported to have done some killing but nothing of record that I can find. And Bryce...he was quite the killer.

What all the killers shared was not speed. Oh gasp...was that another cow on his way to the fire?

It was a combination of a deliberate decision to kill that man standing there in front of them, and the timing of their action in relation to events. Often while that other man was still saying "Good morning copper" (as they debated whether to draw or not), the heroes in the story...the Bryces...the Askins, and the Jordans, were already drawing with a resolute mind to kill them.

To put it in perspective for the gun-game-centric readers, imagine the referee saying, "Shooter Ready...Stand...By" and at the "stand"...before the "by", you kick off the action and kill all the targets, violating three or four procedural rules in the process. I laugh at the mere thought. Why...it would be unfair wouldn't it. All the other bullet-golfers would protest. And its true -it would in fact be against the rules. But that my friends is what killing is really like. It is about breaking the rules, but doing it in a controlled and deliberate manner.

I have done my share of shooting and killing criminal back in the day. The record speaks for itself. As much as was dependent on me, I always took every justifiable advantage. If I could shoot them in the back when they were reloading, I did. If I could shoot them before they ever saw me, I did. I never warned them, nor gave them a shot at me. I was not John Wayne, The Lone Ranger, nor Chuck Norris...nor did I ever want to be.

So here is a secret.

It is about distraction and seizing the moment when the adversary is not focused on you directly.

It is about timing your actions. If your timing is correct even a perceptibly slow draw will be impossible for him to react to.

And specially, it is about being deliberate in your actions. Deliberate does not mean slow. It is a resolute decision to act being carried out in a direct and effective manner. It may seem fast to the eye, but the sense of it internally is different than what the common conception is of being fast.

Killing is easy. Once you can kill the bad guy in your heart and mind...deliberately. The physical action is easy.

Thanks for sharing and giving some insight to your experiences.
I've not killed anyone. But throughout all the CCW courses and firearms training, I've been coached to mentally prepare to shoot a 16 yr old kid. Cause that's the idiot that's going to pull the gun... for your car, or for your wallet.
So I agree with your decision making / action taking thoughts. At least in theory, having not applied this, myself. (Thank God!)

I also shoot USPSA...

"Shooter r-Bang! bang! bang!" ... Would get you DQ'd lol. They would NOT be happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CumminsPusher
drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for sharing and giving some insight to your experiences.
I've not killed anyone. But throughout all the CCW courses and firearms training, I've been coached to mentally prepare to shoot a 16 yr old kid. Cause that's the idiot that's going to pull the gun... for your car, or for your wallet.
So I agree with your decision making / action taken thoughts. At least in theory, having not applied this, myself.

I also shoot USPSA...

"Shooter r-Bang! bang! bang!" ... Would get you DQ'd lol. They would NOT be happy.
Gabe Suarez article, not mine. I haven't killed anyone in years;)

Reactions: JTW and Jshell3
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ya Bob NEVER has a good days at the Doc's!
Hey Fubar you setting any of that up for April? Maybe we could do a drive-by on Bob?

Reactions: sharp and drfubar
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Drivebys? yep, you're from the west coast for sure.

That's funny!!
Nah but sometimes in the woods we'll set stuff up and drive to it and see who has best score it's fun. We're safe about backdrops and placements don't just randomly shoot s***.
I don't have a lowered Cadillac with faded paint,driver seat way back and angled on wire rims if that's what you're thinking lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sharp
advertisement
J

JTW

Suarez:

THE OBSESSION WITH SPEED

So here is a secret.

That's a good read and he's on point with all if it!!

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok, found the official beer of the Mary's Ridge Retards! Yee Haw Brewing. It's brewed in Johnson City, TN so it's home grown. They have several flavors. This one is the Dunkel, (German style) but I'm sure they have one that even the Coors Lite Retards would like.
20170316 123057 0011

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ok, found the official beer of the Mary's Ridge Retards! Yee Haw Brewing. It's brewed in Johnson City, TN so it's home grown. They have several flavors. This one is the Dunkel, (German style) but I'm sure they have one that even the Coors Lite Retards would like.
View attachment 38345

You little s***! I'll drink your fancy beer with you! At least I'm willing to meet in the middle...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!