Driveshaft Yoke

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Does anybody have an old driveshaft hanging around that they can steal the rear yoke off of? I need one for testing purposes and would rather not buy a whole brand new shaft just to cut it up.

OR

Does anyone know if the output shaft splines and diameter on the rear yoke match what's in the front diff behind the 4wd clutch?

Our idea is to remove the front clutch for weight savings and run a longer possibly CF driveshaft. If the male and female splines on the rear yoke and front diff match up that will eliminate us having to make a front yoke for the diff. If it doesn't fit, no big deal, but if it does it would be a real time saver modifying one of those as opposed to building a whole new one for this conversion.

Last edited:
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Does anybody have an old driveshaft hanging around that they can steal the rear yoke off of? I need one for testing purposes and would rather not buy a whole brand new shaft just to cut it up.

OR

Does anyone know if the output shaft splines and diameter on the rear yoke match what's in the front diff behind the 4wd clutch?

Our idea is to remove the front clutch for weight savings and run a longer possibly CF driveshaft. If the male and female splines on the rear yoke and front diff match up that will eliminate us having to make a front yoke for the diff. If it doesn't fit, no big deal, but if it does it would be a real time saver modifying one of those as opposed to building a whole new one for this conversion.
I got one somewhere you can have. Just gotta locate it!) Pm me if you want it and we can figure out how to get it to you.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X

OR

u going aluminum

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Found one!) Let me know if you need it.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
u going aluminum

Aluminum tube has to be too big of a diameter to not explode at speed in one of these cars and wouldn't fit in the tunnel with the size it needs to be safe. Critical mass is a b****. Lol

Plan is to draw up an adapter plate that removes the front diff clutch and puts a yoke right on the end of the diff. If that driveshaft yoke that @Hometeam has slips over the pinion on the front diff we won't have to make one. If it doesn't then we will have to make one of those too. Just trying to save time and money where I can because a custom carbon fiber driveshaft from QA1 is not cheap. 😁

Last edited:
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Aluminum tube has to be too big of a diameter to not explode at speed in one of these cars and wouldn't fit in the tunnel with the size it needs to be safe. Critical mass is a b****. Lol

Plan is to draw up an adapter plate that removes the front diff clutch and puts a yoke right on the end of the diff. If that driveshaft yoke that @Hometeam has slips over the pinion on the front diff we won't have to make one. If it doesn't then we will have to make one of those too. Just trying to save time and money where I can because a custom carbon fiber driveshaft from QA1 is not cheap. 😁
U r the racer, but not so sure a 6061 tube would explode at speed - isn’t it about hp/torque ?

we extrude aluminum driveshaft stock for corvettes - yes it’s 4” or so - but your racecar is 125ish hp as a guess - so not so sure aluminum tube isn’t an option if u r looking to save rotating mass - lol

Reactions: Smitty335
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
U r the racer, but not so sure a 6061 tube would explode at speed - isn’t it about hp/torque ?

we extrude aluminum driveshaft stock for corvettes - yes it’s 4” or so - but your racecar is 125ish hp as a guess - so not so sure aluminum tube isn’t an option if u r looking to save rotating mass - lol

HP has nothing to do with the equation, It's all about how fast you spin the driveshaft tube. The smaller the diameter the slower you have to spin it to keep it from exploding. Carbon Fiber driveshafts are not subject to this problem because of their light weight and extremely high strength so that's what I'm going to use. Plus I'm trying to shave another 75lbs off my car and a CF driveshaft with aluminum yokes along with the front clutch delete gets me closer to that goal. The other tricks we have up our sleeve for the 2024 short course season will get me the rest of the way there and then some. 😎

Last edited: