Talon Front Driveshaft Fix

I

iloehr99

Feb 27, 2016
Southern Indiana
I have a 2019 Talon R. It's got just about 1,700 miles on it. I had noticed a vibration slowly getting worse for a while. It also started making a noise that sound like a chain slapping when it was lugging up a hill at higher speed. Checked out the drive shaft and sure enough I could see the play in the u-joints. So I pulled the driveshaft out.
The caps in both weld yokes were loose and spinning. The one had gotten loose enough that the snap ring was eating a groove into the ear.
The transmission slip yoke and the differential yoke were in good shape and the caps were in tight.

**quick story comparing razor driveshafts to the Talons**
So I luckily happen to run a driveline shop. We have been building driveshafts for the razors for quite some time now. They use the exact same series u-joint as the Talon, but use smaller tubing, and they have 2-piece driveshafts. I have never seen the caps spinning in the razor shafts. The main cause of their failure is the shaft being out of round straight from the factory. On the razors that get alot of abuse and the turbo models, the tube bends even farther out of round to the point it will start hitting the frame. Either way, the out of round shaft causes premature wear on the u-joints and carrier bearing. We put bigger tubing in those shafts, but still use the same size joint and use the stock carrier bearing. With the stronger tube and everything balanced and straight, all the vibration is gone and the shaft is actually reliable for a long time. We also make much stronger versions with as big as a joint that will possibly fit. Those are for the heavily abused machines.

Back to the Talon
Since the transmission and differential yoke are very special one of a kind yokes, there's no upgrading that unless a lot of machine work was done. I also couldn't find anywhere that I could buy just the yoke itself, only the complete driveshaft together. But since the caps were plenty tight in them, I just re-used those. The stock tube is just over 1.5" O.D. I used 1.750" X .095" tube. The U-Joints are a non-greaseable Neapco joint. There is also a greaseable version available, but I don't want to worry about greasing it. A good brand non-greasable joint will last just as long as a greaseable joint that is greased before each ride.
Since I used weld yokes that I know last a long time, I did not tac weld those. And since the caps still pressed tight into the transmission and differential yokes, I didn't tac weld those either.

So, I don't technically have a fix for the transmission and differential yokes, unless you wanted to spend alot of money on the labor of machining them to fit a bigger joint. Which I do not see necessary unless you are racing or abusing the machine. If my caps were spinning in the yokes, I was just going to tac the caps after putting new joints in it.
But since I have seen that a new oem shaft has the issues of the caps spinning in the weld yokes, that is something fixable without having to tac weld the caps on the weld yokes.

I've only got about 100 miles on mine since I re-did the shaft. All the vibration is gone and everything is still tight. I have great confidence in it lasting for much longer than the stock driveshaft. The only thing that can happen is the caps start to spin in the transmission and differential yokes. At that point I would just put new joints in it and tac weld the caps.

Price wise, this is just a bit more than a new oem shaft.
$300 if you sent us your driveshaft, we re-use the transmission and differential yokes off of it. We build a brand new balanced driveshaft with bigger tube, quality weld yokes, and your choice of greaseable or non-greaseable joints. That doesn't include shipping.
If the caps are spinning in your transmission or differential yokes, we can tac-weld them after the new joints are installed if requested.

Warranty wise (please take into consideration that we are smaller family ran business. Our main goal is quality service. We aren't pumping out hundreds of driveshafts a day like big company's. Our prices are going to be higher because we only use the best parts we can get. We don't want you to come back with a broken part, so we do our best to build it to not break. If you have an issue with whatever you get, whether it falls under the warranty or not, we want you to contact us. We will do whatever we can to make it right)
We will guarantee the tubing and welds. If you send us a picture of the tubing bent up or the welds have broke, we will send you a new driveshaft with joints. You would be responsible for putting the yokes on it unless you mailed us your old shaft which you would have to pay shipping for. The weld yokes and joints are covered under our discretion. We would need the shaft back to decide that. You would have to pay the shipping to get the shaft to us.

Talon R Front Driveshaft 1 Talon R Front Driveshaft 2 Talon R Front Driveshaft 3

Attachments

• Talon R Front Driveshaft (2).mp4
    9.2 MB
H

HondaTech

Whats interesting is my GMs race car hasnt had this issue. We replaced it this season only because we had the entire car apart and were already there.

Ive replaced several, even one with less than 10 miles on it. Makes you wonder how some last longer.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have a 2019 Talon R. It's got just about 1,700 miles on it. I had noticed a vibration slowly getting worse for a while. It also started making a noise that sound like a chain slapping when it was lugging up a hill at higher speed. Checked out the drive shaft and sure enough I could see the play in the u-joints. So I pulled the driveshaft out.
The caps in both weld yokes were loose and spinning. The one had gotten loose enough that the snap ring was eating a groove into the ear.
The transmission slip yoke and the differential yoke were in good shape and the caps were in tight.

**quick story comparing razor driveshafts to the Talons**
So I luckily happen to run a driveline shop. We have been building driveshafts for the razors for quite some time now. They use the exact same series u-joint as the Talon, but use smaller tubing, and they have 2-piece driveshafts. I have never seen the caps spinning in the razor shafts. The main cause of their failure is the shaft being out of round straight from the factory. On the razors that get alot of abuse and the turbo models, the tube bends even farther out of round to the point it will start hitting the frame. Either way, the out of round shaft causes premature wear on the u-joints and carrier bearing. We put bigger tubing in those shafts, but still use the same size joint and use the stock carrier bearing. With the stronger tube and everything balanced and straight, all the vibration is gone and the shaft is actually reliable for a long time. We also make much stronger versions with as big as a joint that will possibly fit. Those are for the heavily abused machines.

Back to the Talon
Since the transmission and differential yoke are very special one of a kind yokes, there's no upgrading that unless a lot of machine work was done. I also couldn't find anywhere that I could buy just the yoke itself, only the complete driveshaft together. But since the caps were plenty tight in them, I just re-used those. The stock tube is just over 1.5" O.D. I used 1.750" X .095" tube. The U-Joints are a non-greaseable Neapco joint. There is also a greaseable version available, but I don't want to worry about greasing it. A good brand non-greasable joint will last just as long as a greaseable joint that is greased before each ride.
Since I used weld yokes that I know last a long time, I did not tac weld those. And since the caps still pressed tight into the transmission and differential yokes, I didn't tac weld those either.

So, I don't technically have a fix for the transmission and differential yokes, unless you wanted to spend alot of money on the labor of machining them to fit a bigger joint. Which I do not see necessary unless you are racing or abusing the machine. If my caps were spinning in the yokes, I was just going to tac the caps after putting new joints in it.
But since I have seen that a new oem shaft has the issues of the caps spinning in the weld yokes, that is something fixable without having to tac weld the caps on the weld yokes.

I've only got about 100 miles on mine since I re-did the shaft. All the vibration is gone and everything is still tight. I have great confidence in it lasting for much longer than the stock driveshaft. The only thing that can happen is the caps start to spin in the transmission and differential yokes. At that point I would just put new joints in it and tac weld the caps.

Price wise, this is just a bit more than a new oem shaft.
$300 if you sent us your driveshaft, we re-use the transmission and differential yokes off of it. We build a brand new balanced driveshaft with bigger tube, quality weld yokes, and your choice of greaseable or non-greaseable joints. That doesn't include shipping.
If the caps are spinning in your transmission or differential yokes, we can tac-weld them after the new joints are installed if requested.

Warranty wise (please take into consideration that we are smaller family ran business. Our main goal is quality service. We aren't pumping out hundreds of driveshafts a day like big company's. Our prices are going to be higher because we only use the best parts we can get. We don't want you to come back with a broken part, so we do our best to build it to not break. If you have an issue with whatever you get, whether it falls under the warranty or not, we want you to contact us. We will do whatever we can to make it right)
We will guarantee the tubing and welds. If you send us a picture of the tubing bent up or the welds have broke, we will send you a new driveshaft with joints. You would be responsible for putting the yokes on it unless you mailed us your old shaft which you would have to pay shipping for. The weld yokes and joints are covered under our discretion. We would need the shaft back to decide that. You would have to pay the shipping to get the shaft to us.
Very nice work!

The driveline issue has been discussed in great detail. I even began to tear apart a brand new driveline to test the press fit of the cups and it is absolutely pathetic. The problem you will have is the differential and transmission yokes are no better (you lucked out and have good ones) but if you search here enough you will see the cups will spin and the u-joint will come apart on all the yokes. On some drivelines, you will need to weld the cups on the stock parts and will even need to replace some of them.

See this thread, it is long but a good read...

Press fit post is here if you don't want to read the entire thread...

Whats interesting is my GMs race car hasnt had this issue. We replaced it this season only because we had the entire car apart and were already there.

Ive replaced several, even one with less than 10 miles on it. Makes you wonder how some last longer.
Inconsistent machining. Brand new yokes are hit and miss. Some are tight and others are lose. Once in a while, you get a driveline (like @hondabob's) that has 8 tight cups and lasts 16,000 miles. He has since replaced it 3 or 4 times and the last one the dealer agreed to tack weld (probably because they were sick of replacing them).

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
If you were going to make an aluminum driveshaft for the Talon, what size tube would you run?

I use mine for short course racing and was thinking about having a set of billet aluminum yolks made but don't know what size tubing I should have them fit. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I know that PaulF is a very smart Honda owner and always has excellent suggestions but why can't Honda fix the root cause of the problem!!! It seems to me that this has been going on way too long. What if the club did not have guys like PaulF and iloehr99 to document at lenth and figure out a work-around. What am I missing here that Honda cannot put this problem to bed???????

I

iloehr99

Feb 27, 2016
Southern Indiana
If you were going to make an aluminum driveshaft for the Talon, what size tube would you run?

I use mine for short course racing and was thinking about having a set of billet aluminum yolks made but don't know what size tubing I should have them fit. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
3" is the smallest aluminum I can get. If you have a custom chassis, you prolly have enough room to fit that. 3"x .125" wall will be plenty strong.

Reactions: SLOWPOKE693
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
3" is the smallest aluminum I can get. If you have a custom chassis, you prolly have enough room to fit that. 3"x .125" wall will be plenty strong.
Chassis isn't custom (per race rules) so 3" wouldn't fit. In your opinion what would be the biggest diameter that would fit in the stock Talon R chassis without clearance issues and also, what would be the smallest diameter you would recommend for a race only application with additional safety loops added? I'm not looking for a bomb but I want it made as light and as small a diameter as possible.

What grade aluminum tubing is used for driveshaft tube? I have a friend in the aluminum business and may be able to source the material myself.

R

Ray21

Mar 1, 2021
AK
Ownership

1. Talon R
Nice work!

Do the 1000X-4s have the same u-joint issues?

Reactions: Plumber32
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Nice work!

As far as has been reported, no. The 4 seater (so far) seems to be immune to the drive line problems.

@HondaTech, have you seen any X4 drive line failures?

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
H

HondaTech

As far as has been reported, no. The 4 seater (so far) seems to be immune to the drive line problems.

I have not, the part number is different for the X4, maybe a different supplier?

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4

Checked mine and everything is tight at 1400 miles.

wish I could say the same for my engine 😂

• Sad
Reactions: CID
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
wish I could say the same for my engine 😂

"Broken in" engines have more clearance vs brand new ones and therefore create less friction thus making more horsetorques at 100% duty cycle. Rebuilding it is going to reduce power and slow you down going uphill on the dyno with a strong tail wind at night. 💩 Throw an oil catch tank on the valve cover breather hose and enjoy all the free power you gained by honing the cylinders with 200 grit intake sand while riding. 🤣🤣🤣

Remember.... Loose is fast

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice work!

I'm pretty sure my x4 has this issue after this weekend 500 miles on the rig. At about 25 -30 mph it rattles pretty bad. Was less in 4wd. Going to pull the skid this week and check it out. Still under warranty, but just want to fix it once. Maybe do it myself.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
There is one paint mark on each of the 3 U-joints and one of the guys has a marked cup turn on his 4 seater. I put a paint mark on each U-joint cup on my 2020 Talon and will be checking it frequently.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!