Drones?

B

bobbybog

Mar 2, 2018
WV
Ownership

1. 500
I got the Parrot bebop2, got it because i heard it was more durable and still OK video quality. Its been great for the price. Ive crashed it and sunk it and its still going strong. Took video and photo from takeover last year with it as well. Would love a more compact one next time. but cant complain with this.

I second the bebop2. Got it much Chatham the mavic and all the same quality. Flys awesome. I also got the air controller and FPV goggles with it. All for about $300.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JsheII3
JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
In what state? ..

Texas - Except with permits issued by Texas Parks & Wildlife Department, the use of drones to hunt, drive, capture, take, count or photograph any wildlife is unlawful.
Drones/UAVs — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department

Colorado to hunters: Leave your drones at home
Colorado wildlife officials say they’re seeing more hunters illegally using drones when they’re in the field as ownership of the small, remotely-operated flying vehicles increases.

State Parks and Wildlife Assistant Director Heather Dugan said in a statement that drones are illegal for scouting hunting grounds or locating animals that later will be shot.

Dugan says such actions violate state regulations and the Federal Airborne Hunting Act, which outlawed hunting from aircraft in the early 1970s.
Colorado to hunters: Leave your drones at home – The Denver Post

Reactions: Plumber32 and JTW
J

JTW

Texas - Except with permits issued by Texas Parks & Wildlife Department, the use of drones to hunt, drive, capture, take, count or photograph any wildlife is unlawful.
Drones/UAVs — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department

Colorado to hunters: Leave your drones at home
Colorado wildlife officials say they’re seeing more hunters illegally using drones when they’re in the field as ownership of the small, remotely-operated flying vehicles increases.

State Parks and Wildlife Assistant Director Heather Dugan said in a statement that drones are illegal for scouting hunting grounds or locating animals that later will be shot.

Dugan says such actions violate state regulations and the Federal Airborne Hunting Act, which outlawed hunting from aircraft in the early 1970s.
Colorado to hunters: Leave your drones at home – The Denver Post
So do I want the spark or air?

JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So do I want the spark or air?

Are you asking as the guy that owns a real estate company?

3F1AE905 1C63 4922 830F 903FAA7C3457

Last edited:
J

JTW

Are you asking as the guy that owns a real estate company?

View attachment 92521
That’s my main reason for buying one... but real world use, which is “better”? I know the air out performs the spark. But is it noticeable for my basic needs. Our internet is slow as s*** so loading takes forever. Which makes me wonder if higher resolution video would even be worth it. If the spark folded up I’d buy it just to try. But im basically looking at $1000 or $500 between the two. Most of my viewers will be using a phone or laptop. I’d like something I can use outside and inside. And I’d like something that could do a 360 pic or video.
ACD9F117 DB3A 462A 9FDB 0648115B0E36

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mudwing
BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey

Mar 29, 2017
Mid TN
That’s my main reason for buying one... but real world use, which is “better”? I know the air out performs the spark. But is it noticeable for my basic needs. Our internet is slow as s*** so loading takes forever. Which makes me wonder if higher resolution video would even be worth it. If the spark folded up I’d buy it just to try. But im basically looking at $1000 or $500 between the two. Most of my viewers will be using a phone or laptop. I’d like something I can use outside and inside. And I’d like something that could do a 360 pic or video. View attachment 92525
you dont want to fly inside. if you can help it. i would suggest just holding it and letting the gimbal work. otherwise you will most likely end up with some drywall repair bills.

JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
That’s my main reason for buying one... but real world use, which is “better”? I know the air out performs the spark. But is it noticeable for my basic needs. Our internet is slow as s*** so loading takes forever. Which makes me wonder if higher resolution video would even be worth it. If the spark folded up I’d buy it just to try. But im basically looking at $1000 or $500 between the two. Most of my viewers will be using a phone or laptop. I’d like something I can use outside and inside. And I’d like something that could do a 360 pic or video. View attachment 92525
Air, fly more pkg. Buy it.

(And you're right, the Spark doesn’t fold - so the Air is easier to pack)

It's like anything, really. Buy what you can afford, as much as you can afford - because eventually you'll wish you would have.

Last edited:
Reactions: JTW
JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
you dont want to fly inside. if you can help it. i would suggest just holding it and letting the gimbal work. otherwise you will most likely end up with some drywall repair bills.
The DJI Mavics have “Tripod Mode” that slows controller input waaaaay down. Designed for indoor use.
I fly mine indoors, through doorways. Sensors help a lot, too.

BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey

Mar 29, 2017
Mid TN
ive used the Tripod mode but have always read and seen about the dependency on the GPS signal. going in and around houses if you loose signal the drone reacts sporadically and can crash. Do you fly in atti mode indoors?

JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
ive used the Tripod mode but have always read and seen about the dependency on the GPS signal. going in and around houses if you loose signal the drone reacts sporadically and can crash. Do you fly in atti mode indoors?
(To my knowledge) Either works. - I don't think you have to select between the two... I think it says Omni or something.

The cool thing about Tripod mode is the downward sensor hoovers based from a visual point(s) along the floor.

I haven’t crashed mine. But be aware the sensors that keep you from running into objects are forward and down facing only. (Zero on the sides or behind)

The NEW Mac Pro 2 has more sensors in more directions.

But I, like you, have the original Mavic Pro.

Last edited:
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Rather than creating a new separate thread, I would like to add to this one as there is good information.

I’m really, really looking at drones. I want to use it for checking fields, crops, fences properties plus general goofing off.

I envision a need to run a gps coordinate route periodically which I believe is not possible for the Mavic air?

I believe that a Mavic Pro is where I need to start looking? I’m thinking a fly more kit?

Advice, suggestions? Should I be looking a different direction?

Reactions: Isaiah
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have the mavic Pro

Get the guards for the props and the feet that stand it up out of the grass.
Don't leave the clear cover on the gimble. It starves it for air and it will run hot.
My iPhone will not fit in the controller with a case on it and that Pi$$es me off.

Otherwise great product. A child can fly it.

Reactions: JsheII3 and Vikes79
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the mavic Pro

Get the guards for the props and the feet that stand it up out of the grass.
Don't leave the clear cover on the gimble. It starves it for air and it will run hot.
My iPhone will not fit in the controller with a case on it and that Pi$$es me off.

Otherwise great product. A child can fly it.

thanks for the tips!

I have a couple options for phones that I could use just for a drone.

If you were in my shoes, and budget was a little flexible, would you go with the Mavic Pro, Mavic 2 Pro or the Mavic 2 zoom?

My fear with the plain Pro is that it doesn’t have avoidance sensors all the way around it and support for it will start to tail off in the next year or so.

I see Mavic pro fly more kits on amazon for around $1000. Mavic pro platinum fly more kits are about $1300 ish.

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I was looking at drones before I got the Talon bug. One thing I didn't like about the Mavic is that it's GPS controlled and won't fly in restricted zones. Airports have a 5 mile no fly zone (internet maps available). I live within one of those so I wouldn't even be able to practice in my own backyard. As more people get drones these areas will get larger, restricting flight even more. Another problem for me is that southern Utah is my passion and a lot of that is national parks where flight is also illegal. A GPS software flight control won't even let me film my campsites.

If my interest rekindles, I'll be looking at drones where I make the flight decision, not chinese software.

Reactions: Vikes79
russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I was looking at drones before I got the Talon bug. One thing I didn't like about the Mavic is that it's GPS controlled and won't fly in restricted zones. Airports have a 5 mile no fly zone (internet maps available). I live within one of those so I wouldn't even be able to practice in my own backyard. As more people get drones these areas will get larger, restricting flight even more. Another problem for me is that southern Utah is my passion and a lot of that is national parks where flight is also illegal. A GPS software flight control won't even let me film my campsites.

If my interest rekindles, I'll be looking at drones where I make the flight decision, not chinese software.

I think it will with Litchie flight software. I can see our airport from my house. I can fly my Mavic here with DJI flight software. Unless something has changed, and it may well have, I think it only restricts you from flying in controlled airspace.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve got the mavic air fly more and I really like it..

Do you run into times where you feel like you need more battery time?

I’m not opposed to the Mavic air, I’m just afraid that I’m going to be changing batteries a lot.

if I use it to check fences / property, the areas I’d be checking would have at least a mile of fence just on the perimeter. Some of the extremes could be up to 5 mi.

On your Mavic Air, can you program in waypoints and camera angles to let it run a route autonomous?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!