Dropping a cylinder.

B

BeezrGeezr

Aug 18, 2019
Friday Harbor, WA./Wellington, NV.
Ownership

1. Talon X
While riding a while ago, I noticed a stumble on starting to move or other loading at low RPMs. Actually stalled a few times trying to get going on an uphill start. I checked the forums and found it sounded like the fuel pump symptoms from the recall. I installed a new pump (Full pump assy, plug&play). I also serviced the air filter with a new element and cleaning of the entire intake system. I fired it up in the shop and it ran fine. Today I went to go out and it fired right up and then dropped a cylinder, then it came back, revved up, then slowed almost to stall then idled normally, then back to one cylinder, and so on. All without touching the pedal.
Has anyone else had something like this happen? Maybe a computer problem? Reboot? Coil problem?
Any help is welcome.
Thanks. Phil.

CMB

CMB

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Check ALL of the grounds for good contact and tight connections. More info on the buggy would help also, model year, ever been under water or deep mud ?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The Pioneers were breaking a wire inside the insulation, right at the injector if I remember correctly. I wonder if the Talons are going to have that problem too? How many miles?

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Spark Plug
Or sparkplug wire. They tend to pop up and off the plug enough to cause misfires.

Hess has a solution to that problem.....

Image 19c716f1 d819 4aa3 ae74 13973a77ddc0 950x

H

HondaTech

Or sparkplug wire. They tend to pop up and off the plug enough to cause misfires.

Hess has a solution to that problem.....

View attachment 345207

Can't say this have ever been a problem at any point in our race cars career. 🤷🏻‍♂️

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Can't say this have ever been a problem at any point in our race cars career. 🤷🏻‍♂️
After the next race push down on the plug wires and see if they go click. Some don't pop off enough to cause a problem and some do. Mine didn't pop out enough to cause a misfire but they were always "up" after a race. My buddy had similar issues and his caused a random misfire.

H

HondaTech

After the next race push down on the plug wires and see if they go click. Some don't pop off enough to cause a problem and some do. Mine didn't pop out enough to cause a misfire but they were always "up" after a race. My buddy had similar issues and his caused a random misfire.

Hell most of the time i can't get the boots out of the head when doing a service on customer units.

Reactions: sspeederr
B

BeezrGeezr

Aug 18, 2019
Friday Harbor, WA./Wellington, NV.
Ownership

1. Talon X
Spark Plug
Thank you, thank you, thank you! At 75 years old, I think I may be a bit too old for this s***. After all, I totally forgot the 'Golden Rule' of dirt bikes and all my British junk...If it quits, change the spark plug FIRST!
Two new plugs and it runs like a top again. Pricey little buggers, though!

advertisement
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have to remember this! Plugs from Honda are ridiculously over priced. Do you have the plug number handy Slowpoke?

Eric @ PPEI showed me that trick, I can't take credit for coming up with that one.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!