P1000 Dual Battery/winch question?

N

ncognet0

Jun 12, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I learned the hard way that winching while moving is a no no as I was winching a bull elk up a tree this hunting season. After burning out my clutch. I have since realized that I need a dual battery install. My question is once I add the dual battery system will I need to change any wiring with my winch? Its obviously wired into the original system.

N

ncognet0

Jun 12, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just move the positive and negative over to the second battery.

Were you holding pressure with the throttle in reverse while winching instead of holding the brakes?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Just move the positive and negative over to the second battery.

Were you holding pressure with the throttle in reverse while winching instead of holding the brakes?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Yes sir, I was doing it the dumb way (I later learned).

NewHere2

NewHere2

Village Idiot In Training
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2020
High Plains of SD
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5

I’m curious also. Can you explain how that occurred incognet0 ?

N

ncognet0

Jun 12, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m curious also. Can you explain how that occurred incognet0 ?
Was winching a bull elk up a tree and backing up and using my winch at the same time. I later learned not to use the winch and move or you will fry the clutch.

Reactions: NewHere2
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Let the winch do the work when you can.

Been several people have tried to hold the machine on a hill, or however, by holding a light throttle. When you do, something is slipping.... Its your clutches.
It doesn't take long for them to get hot, then there tost.

N

ncognet0

Jun 12, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Let the winch do the work when you can.

Been several people have tried to hold the machine on a hill, or however, by holding a light throttle. When you do, something is slipping.... Its your clutches.
It doesn't take long for them to get hot, then there tost.
I hear you loud and clear now lol. I think two batteries will also help. The mechanic told me that they fry in about 15 seconds when you do what I was doing.

Reactions: Smitty335
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
To be clear, yes, the clutch would fry. Reverse is a higher gear than low, at least in the '21 and earlier Pioneers, so the clutch is already at a disadvantage. It'd be like backing up to a brick wall and then giving it the gas!

Holding the breaks is good. Worth considering, if ground is loose or traction is an issue or pulling a heavy load, would be to tie the back of the machine to a stationary object, chock the wheels etc.

Having two batteries is a good idea, especially if you are ever in a situation where you need to winch but can't run the engine to provide a bit of help with the current load (though the alternator only has something like 50 amps available, and that's with the RPM's up, not at idle! Also, the winch can draw over 200 amps at near full load, so having the winch on the Aux battery, with a True (or similar) dual battery management system ,means you won't likely leave yourself in a lurch, unable to start the engine.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!