P1000 Dual Batterys?

K

Kyle

Jun 11, 2015
Will I need dual battery's for the set up im looking to install? This is my first SXS so sorry if this is a dumb question.

Ill be powering 2- 36w back up lights and a 180w light bar and some day when I install a winch that as well.
Will the factory single battery be ok for this or should I add another battery?

Thanks guys,

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
In my opinion its all about how much standby time u want after u shut off the unit and continue to run lights etc. Also if u run 2 batteries u can have an isolator that stops one from running dead altogether so u can always start unit regardless. Search battery isolator and dual batteries etc u will have tons of reading to help u decide. I am doing 2 batteries with a true isolator but I am doing a normal size second battery not a big one but only reason to do that is weight reduction etc. Its really a good idea but u can also try one battery and its no problem to add a second one later just then u wire things up leave a smudge more wire so u could switch to there battery no problem.

K

Kyle

Jun 11, 2015
Yea I was going to just try it out didn't want to try one and ruin something. Can I power just the accessories nothing else off a second battery and still have it charge and be used with key on and machine running?

K

Kyle

Jun 11, 2015
I read them threads your talking about but electrical work is not my cup a tee so it's kinda hard for me to understand but lucky I got a buddy that knows what he's doing.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Yea I was going to just try it out didn't want to try one and ruin something. Can I power just the accessories nothing else off a second battery and still have it charge and be used with key on and machine running?
yes thats the idea and whole u are at it put in a isolator as well and good to go

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dale5740 has some great information about the dual battery setup and why you should need it. I have been contemplating putting a dual battery setup on my 700 but found a different item this weekend. It is a Low Voltage Disconnect that will hook inline between your battery and your accessories. This will atomatically disconnect the accessories if it sense a low voltage situation, leaving you enough power to start your rig. I found one in the bargain cave at Cabelas for $20 so this might be another option to consider. No need for a second battery and no need to worry if your battery is going to die. Just another option.
m-LVD Low Voltage Disconnect - Blue Sea Systems

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
I had this in one of my work vans that had a power inverter worked well.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I figured for $20 it might be worth a try. I might still try the dual battery setup later this winter. But at least for the summer I will have a little peace of mind.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Will I need dual battery's for the set up im looking to install? This is my first SXS so sorry if this is a dumb question.

Ill be powering 2- 36w back up lights and a 180w light bar and some day when I install a winch that as well.
Will the factory single battery be ok for this or should I add another battery?

Thanks guys,
To directly answer your question, no you won't need a second battery just to power the items you listed above. As dale5740 mentioned, the second battery is typically added to ensure that you don't end up stranded someplace because you left the radio or lights on while the machine was turned off.
You can see my set up under "the making of pete". Jackals p1000 build has a lot of good details on the wiring of a second battery and aftermarket fuse block.

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
I agree, you shouldn't need a second battery. But if you do plan on winching a lot it does help the winch run cooler and longer pulls at a time. If you're only using it once in a while a second battery really isn't needed

advertisement
K

Kyle

Jun 11, 2015
Will I need a PDM for these light bars and winch? I was just planning on getting power from the 15amp acc. fuse but now im starting to think that wont be enough.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Will I need a PDM for these light bars and winch? I was just planning on getting power from the 15amp acc. fuse but now im starting to think that wont be enough.
it won't hurt to get control power from there for your winch, but the lights (almost 300w total) might be pushing it if you plan to have things plugged into the accessory port. a small pdm might be appropriate for the lights, but if you don't plan to expand to more accessories in the future, I would just pull power from the battery and use inline fuses for the lights. you can draw your switch lights from the accessory wire (if your switches are backlit).

Reactions: CashMoney
K

Kyle

Jun 11, 2015
I was thinking about doing this or could I just replace the 15amp acc. Fuse with a 30amp? I know what will be running off the acc fuse so it shouldn't hurt anything or will it mess with whole machine if I draw over 15amps from that circuit? I just don't wanna fry something on a 17,000 machine lol.
it won't hurt to get control power from there for your winch, but the lights (almost 300w total) might be pushing it if you plan to have things plugged into the accessory port. a small pdm might be appropriate for the lights, but if you don't plan to expand to more accessories in the future, I would just pull power from the battery and use inline fuses for the lights. you can draw your switch lights from the accessory wire (if your switches are backlit).

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was thinking about doing this or could I just replace the 15amp acc. Fuse with a 30amp? I know what will be running off the acc fuse so it shouldn't hurt anything or will it mess with whole machine if I draw over 15amps from that circuit? I just don't wanna fry something on a 17,000 machine lol.
the wires that supply the accessory fuse are probably not a large enough gage for more than a 15 amp fuse. If you want to try running off the 15 amp accessory fuse, it won't hurt anything other than maybe blow a fuse. if this happens, then you should reconsider. if you go to a 30 amp fuse then you run the risk of catching the wiring on fire...
Crash and burn

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
I think a 30 amp fuse would be pushing the wiring. Its only got like 18 gauge going to it.
I agree don't defeat the purpose of a fuse cause your wire can be the fuse also lol