ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Warn Bumper gives you lots of access to the winch and good air flow to the radiator. The bumper can be a bit of a pain to mount and align.

The warn winch mount behind the bumper mounts the winch under the upper bumper mounts upside down and offers a strong mount with a good cable routing.

I would not recommend the KFI winch mount as the cable routing isnt great and the mounting bolts came loose several times after winching.

Last edited:
PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you’re going to use the stock bumper, whatever winch you buy will work best if you mount it upside down so the cable feeds off the top. I mounted a viper wide spool from the club store and it works well.

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I understand the quality issue. But be prepared to paid. I bought a Ramseys Honcho UTV 5000R winch the other day and I'm waiting on the bumper to be made at Texas Tough Customs. Neither are cheap. I wanted a top mount winch so I could get to it easy and service easy. Plus, it's higher up and won't get in the mud and cow crap as much. And the winch I bought won't fit in the factory designated area anyway, it's to large. I know is cost more, but it's all made in the USA. I like to support Americans all I can.

Last edited:
advertisement
jenk61

jenk61

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2021
Southern Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you have to drill additional holes etc, or did it end up fitting existing holes?
No, it fits factory holes perfectly, but if I remember correctly, I removed the mounting plate and installed it then the winch due to the location of the bolts being difficult to get a wrench on. If I had done that first it would have saved an hour. Everything else is prewired. SATV Ready fit winch
The four bolts included to mount the plate were the wrong pitch threads........I just used the ones I took out.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a SuperWinch Terra 45 mounted inverted on a KFI mount.
I saw the "no KFI post" above, but my cable angle out of the fairlead seems fairly straight and I haven't had to tighten any bolts.
You can reach the free-wheel fairly easily around the side.
(That's a plow mount underneath.)

But I really want to hear more about the wenches.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For those going with a higher winch mount, you might consider that many of the front bumpers are mounted to the frame only at their bottom. The higher above the frame the winch fairlead exits, the longer the moment arm and the more bending force will applied to the bumper and it's frame mount by the winch. This may cause problems under heavier winch loads.

I have the OEM supplied Warn 4,500 lb winch with it's very low mount on the OEM front bumper. The bumper attach looks to be good enough, but there doesn't appear to be a lot of margin. The upper brush guard portion of the bumper is just hankin' out there in space - - if it's bonked, I fear it will protect itself by flexing aft and smashing the grill, headlights etc.

Reactions: Buggyman
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I saw the "no KFI post" above, but my cable angle out of the fairlead seems fairly straight and I haven't had to tighten any bolts.
View attachment 330394
KFI redesigned their mount in 2019ish. Originally it was bolted to the lower bumper mounts and the front diff bolts. The lower bumper holes were slotted and nearly every time I used the winch the plates shifted. I do not have experience with the other KFI mount

Reactions: Buggyman and StewB
05Willys

05Willys

Apr 21, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
20211022 172656

I have a 6000# SATV winch mounted up high on a Tough Country bumper. Neither were cheap but it keeps the winch out of the mud, water and snow here in PA. Used it to pull a couple of trees off the trail and pull myself out of a 3' snowdrift. That winch is an animal, it has no quit in it.

C

chaos19671

Feb 10, 2021
somewhere pa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
how do you keep that so clean here in PA? I bought P1 used he had the KFI 45 on it. I added the Tough Country to get mine out of all the slop also. Haven't needed the winch much but I like being able to get to it when needed.

20220305 131026

05Willys

05Willys

Apr 21, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
how do you keep that so clean here in PA? I bought P1 used he had the KFI 45 on it. I added the Tough Country to get mine out of all the slop also. Haven't needed the winch much but I like being able to get to it when needed.

View attachment 330422
My son is a senior in high school and works at a powersport shop and wanted to get some senior pictures with it. Took me quite a bit of scrubbing and some Amsoil Mudslinger to make it presentable. Doesn't happen all the time. 🤣🤣🤣

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
View attachment 330394
same here and agree

Reactions: 05Willys and Lady01
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!