P1000 Easy to steal? Also: Vent tube water?

• Thread starter steve_whiteside
  • Start date
DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Gents,
Im in the process to take delivery on a 2020 1000-5D. Ive been sniffing around this forum and trying to soak up some info while I wait. My buggy is going to be used on my "ranch" and parked near a dirt road out in the weather and being largely unattended. 2 questions. 1) If a person does not have a key are these things easy to hotwire? Like a dirt bike -where behind the ignition switch is just two wires that need to be joined to get the bike to start. Is that what we have going here?? If so I will look to put in a kill switch somewhere. If we have some electronic anti theft then maybe kill switch not needed. 2) I saw some reference to rainy weather needing me to re- route some vent line? Can anyone provide a link to that issue and solution? Could that issue have been fixed by my 2020 model?

Ive got a fabric roof ready to install and looking to order a UHMV 1/2 inch skid very soon.

Good to meet you all and thanks for reading. steve
Insure it.
Welcome from Alabama.
When I lived in Michigan, we had farm/hunting land and I kept my Polaris at the farm under a lean to shed but covered. At some time, thieves cut through a grade 8 chained and lock on the gate, hooked up one of my flat bed trailers and pushed the Polaris on it.
At the time I was in the process of building a pole barn on the property and was using a locked livestock trailer for equipment storage. The bastards broke into that and also stole a 6500w Honda generator, air compressor, rear tine cultivator and some miscellaneous items.
They also broke into my sugar shack (maple syrup production) ransacked that including taking my fathers chain saw ( I never left my Stihl saws out there).
Funny thing (not so), the key to the Polaris was on a nail next to the window which they missed.
Bottom line, I was hit for over $20K total, nothing ever was recovered.
From my experience, I would suggest the following:
1) Make every effort to secure your SxS. Hidden kill switch, inside a locked building, maybe even pour a concrete anchor and chain it to that, I'm sure the grade 8 on the gate slowed them down some, but not enough.
2) Check your insurance policy, I thought I had replacement insurance, but found out too late it was ACV (actual cash value). So a three year old Polaris with less than 150 hours was worth less than $4k ACV. I even tried to argue that if they (the Insurance Company) could find me a replacement with less than 150 hours, I would accept it, of course why would they want to go to that trouble. Total settlement on more than a $20K loss - $4700. Obviously I have a different insurance company now.
Bottom line: All side by sides look alike within model years; color, style, really doesn't matter how you accessorize them, if stolen, it's very difficult to locate your unit. For years, every Polaris I saw, I wondered if it was my unit, but you can't challenge every person to show you the frame and engine number, nor ask the Sheriff to check it for you.
Best of luck, hope you never have to go through a major loss like I did.

S

steve_whiteside

Mar 31, 2019
San Diego
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
my insurance won't cover me unless I keep it at my house.

S

steve_whiteside

Mar 31, 2019
San Diego
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Welcome from Alabama.
When I lived in Michigan, we had farm/hunting land and I kept my Polaris at the farm under a lean to shed but covered. At some time, thieves cut through a grade 8 chained and lock on the gate, hooked up one of my flat bed trailers and pushed the Polaris on it.
At the time I was in the process of building a pole barn on the property and was using a locked livestock trailer for equipment storage. The bastards broke into that and also stole a 6500w Honda generator, air compressor, rear tine cultivator and some miscellaneous items.
They also broke into my sugar shack (maple syrup production) ransacked that including taking my fathers chain saw ( I never left my Stihl saws out there).
Funny thing (not so), the key to the Polaris was on a nail next to the window which they missed.
Bottom line, I was hit for over $20K total, nothing ever was recovered.
From my experience, I would suggest the following:
1) Make every effort to secure your SxS. Hidden kill switch, inside a locked building, maybe even pour a concrete anchor and chain it to that, I'm sure the grade 8 on the gate slowed them down some, but not enough.
2) Check your insurance policy, I thought I had replacement insurance, but found out too late it was ACV (actual cash value). So a three year old Polaris with less than 150 hours was worth less than $4k ACV. I even tried to argue that if they (the Insurance Company) could find me a replacement with less than 150 hours, I would accept it, of course why would they want to go to that trouble. Total settlement on more than a $20K loss - $4700. Obviously I have a different insurance company now.
Bottom line: All side by sides look alike within model years; color, style, really doesn't matter how you accessorize them, if stolen, it's very difficult to locate your unit. For years, every Polaris I saw, I wondered if it was my unit, but you can't challenge every person to show you the frame and engine number, nor ask the Sheriff to check it for you.
Best of luck, hope you never have to go through a major loss like I did.

A good lesson learned!

R

rickoshea

most definately go over your ins. policy.i had replacement ins. on my boat,which was over 10 years old when it was lost.when i started adding up all the misc. content to be replaced it was well over 25k.i got my max payout and a really nice new bigger better boat for my troubles,and you can bet i'm saving every single receipt for the honda now.

C

carlsonjmc

Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Im liking the idea of the Hillbilly brake more and more. Building a shed/garage is not 100% straightforward. I pay my neighbor a small amount per month to park on his land. So the shed would be something I would have to clear with him and it then it would complicate our generally amiable relationship. It hardly ever rains out here but the sun is vicious. And theft.
An enclosed trailer is the best bet for the weather. Cost is about the same as a shed and you can move it. However they get stolen too. It is hard to find a small trailer tall enough for the Pioneer line, the Talon is no problem.

Reactions: GWH

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!