P1000 Easy to steal? Also: Vent tube water?

• Thread starter steve_whiteside
  • Start date
S

steve_whiteside

Mar 31, 2019
San Diego
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Gents,
Im in the process to take delivery on a 2020 1000-5D. Ive been sniffing around this forum and trying to soak up some info while I wait. My buggy is going to be used on my "ranch" and parked near a dirt road out in the weather and being largely unattended. 2 questions. 1) If a person does not have a key are these things easy to hotwire? Like a dirt bike -where behind the ignition switch is just two wires that need to be joined to get the bike to start. Is that what we have going here?? If so I will look to put in a kill switch somewhere. If we have some electronic anti theft then maybe kill switch not needed. 2) I saw some reference to rainy weather needing me to re- route some vent line? Can anyone provide a link to that issue and solution? Could that issue have been fixed by my 2020 model?

Ive got a fabric roof ready to install and looking to order a UHMV 1/2 inch skid very soon.

Good to meet you all and thanks for reading. steve

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gents,
Im in the process to take delivery on a 2020 1000-5D. Ive been sniffing around this forum and trying to soak up some info while I wait. My buggy is going to be used on my "ranch" and parked near a dirt road out in the weather and being largely unattended. 2 questions. 1) If a person does not have a key are these things easy to hotwire? Like a dirt bike -where behind the ignition switch is just two wires that need to be joined to get the bike to start. Is that what we have going here?? If so I will look to put in a kill switch somewhere. If we have some electronic anti theft then maybe kill switch not needed. 2) I saw some reference to rainy weather needing me to re- route some vent line? Can anyone provide a link to that issue and solution? Could that issue have been fixed by my 2020 model?

Ive got a fabric roof ready to install and looking to order a UHMV 1/2 inch skid very soon.

Welcome to the site some will post some link sooner or later I'm not that great at it

Reactions: Mudwing
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Welcome.
2020 units should not be affected like eirler models for water entry from rain. Around 2018 they added addational drain holes to prevent the issues. Plus the roof will help. Of course hard top would been the best choice if you are going to leave it in the rain.

As for hijacking. Uumm. Ya.
I would hide a kill swirch. The ignition switch wires are fairly accessible on these units.

But reality is, your not going to stop someone who wants it.

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome.
2020 units should not be affected like eirler models for water entry from rain. Around 2018 they added addational drain holes to prevent the issues. Plus the roof will help. Of course hard top would been the best choice if you are going to leave it in the rain.

I would hide a kill swirch. The ignition switch wires are fairly accessible on these units.

Knew with the man with answer would show up ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gents,

You could always build or buy small little shed to put it in out of sight out of mind

S

steve_whiteside

Mar 31, 2019
San Diego
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Welcome.

Yes thanks. Ive had a faded 2009 polaris ranger that has sat out there for the last 2 years without an issue. This will be new and shiny I want to take some extra precautions. Good to know on the water thing. Thanks again. steve

Reactions: BWAF
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hiding a kill switch is useless on these. You don't need a key to take it out of park. Then it is simply roll it onto a trailer and it's gone.
Hillbilly brake with a pad lock will be your best bet. I'm sure it can still be defeated with a bit more work though.

J

JTW

Hiding a kill switch is useless on these. You don't need a key to take it out of park. Then it is simply roll it onto a trailer and it's gone.
Hillbilly brake with a pad lock will be your best bet. I'm sure it can still be defeated with a bit more work though.
Like with a wrench and an allen?

S

steve_whiteside

Mar 31, 2019
San Diego
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Im liking the idea of the Hillbilly brake more and more. Building a shed/garage is not 100% straightforward. I pay my neighbor a small amount per month to park on his land. So the shed would be something I would have to clear with him and it then it would complicate our generally amiable relationship. It hardly ever rains out here but the sun is vicious. And theft.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Hillbilly brake as mentioned and maybe something like this?

20191205 101102 20191205 101116

Reactions: Mudwing and BWAF
D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Im liking the idea of the Hillbilly brake more and more. Building a shed/garage is not 100% straightforward. I pay my neighbor a small amount per month to park on his land. So the shed would be something I would have to clear with him and it then it would complicate our generally amiable relationship. It hardly ever rains out here but the sun is vicious. And theft.

What about a small non-permanent structure like a 10x10 Shelter Logic? Those seem to hold up great. The price is right, the shell is replaceable, and there’s no construction to worry about. And it’ll keep the dust and hopefully some prying eyes off of your machine.

G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Install a real screech siren on a mercury switch with its own battery and hidden kill switch, install hill billy break, run a chain through the wheels. Make a quick disconnect for the shifter so it stays in park and you can’t change it without shifter handle. Thoughts just off hand
Install a tracking device,then u can track them down,and imply justice

G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just noticed ur in San Diego, Close to the border hmmm

S

steve_whiteside

Mar 31, 2019
San Diego
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
yes I am near the border about 18 miles away. Every once in a while see a illegal headed north through the scrub. I see about 10x border patrol on a daily basis...

I think the real threat is from the local punks in need of a quick buck or a toy. Not a ton of through traffic more just the 50 homes/trailers on that country dirt road. Some genuine wealth and some peeps that are two nickels from homeless.

steve

Last edited:
Reactions: TripleB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!