P1000 Electrical Education Requested: switch panel needs fuse block?

W

wittryd

Nov 12, 2019
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is there already a posting or video that explains the big picture of wiring a dashboard switch panel and whether I need an associated fuse block? What I mean is that I started by buying a custom switch panel from our friends at "Pioneer Switch Panels and Accessories.”
1) I’m thinking I need to (or should I?) buy a pre-wired panel of switches and voltmeters and transfer the switches and voltmeters to the custom panel??
2) do I also need a fuse block and if so, how to wire the fuse block +/- to the various panel switches?
__thank you all in advance

Reactions: MuDSlinger
Formula1

Formula1

Lifetime Member
Feb 24, 2020
SE Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Id love to see their products but I don't have facebook and never plan on having it. I am looking for a switch panel as well.

JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is there already a posting or video that explains the big picture of wiring a dashboard switch panel and whether I need an associated fuse block?

in general, a fuse block helps to distribute the loads properly. typically they have a main feed (big wire) from the battery that distributes power through the fuses, then through switches, to the loads (little wires, relatively). Depending on the size of the load, you may also need a relay if the switch cant handle the current.

1) I’m thinking I need to (or should I?) buy a pre-wired panel of switches and voltmeters and transfer the switches and voltmeters to the custom panel??

This gets you a lot of switches and the meter and usb etc... cheap. I'm not sure about the quality of the switches, but im sure they arent high quality switches. you definitely wont get close to that price getting them individually.

2) do I also need a fuse block and if so, how to wire the fuse block +/- to the various panel switches?

No doubt you can find some help here, but you will need to be more specific with what you are doing with the switches. Everything will depend on what loads the switches are controlling. if its a bunch of small loads you may be able to get away with a system wired like the panel from your post, but likely you should install a fuse block and separate the loads.

try posting a list of everything electrical you want to control with the switches along with any other major loads you have added (winches, etc...) that are not controlled by the switches. that way we can take a look at it and give some clear direction.

just FYI
i definitely recommend OTRATTW for the switches. excellent products and excellent customer service. (Not cheap though)
i used this fuse block in mine
i used this switch panel. IMO the cut quality is not great but the price is right.

• Love
Reactions: wittryd
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
If your doing a center panel for your switches? You can choose whatever type and configurations you want the OTRATTW switches are the best you can buy but pricy if your building your own. All depends what your after?
I used a bussman fuse panel with wires to go to each switch. It has relays and fuses in it. You just choose witch one you would like for each accessory.

Concours Specialties Universal Waterproof Relay/Fuse Distribution Box Cooper Bussmann w/Ground Block Concours Specialties Universal Waterproof Relay/Fuse Distribution Box Cooper Bussmann w/Ground Block: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
This is the fuse block I used. It’s water proof and has served me well.

now I would suggest looking at some of Us longer forum users garages. Mine has step by step of how I did my switches. @joeymt33 has a real nice Wright up on his traveler II for his switches. That’s how I got my idea. Also the search engine at the top is your friend also.This site is so full of info on how to do your switches, it will make your head spin. Lol

W

wittryd

Nov 12, 2019
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow - I thought I was close to start buying components because I thought I watched enough videos. There is so much more to learn! I need to take a week or 3 to review how others went before me... yet then again, that's why I started this thread. I wasn't seeing the front-to-back process. I am documenting my considerations, "shopping list," and installation instructions. It is much easier to write/update a written plan, rather than return a bunch of improper products hastily purchased over the web.

Per @JoeyL and @Remington suggestions, after I write (most) everything down, I'll post for opinions before buying/starting.
__thanks again

JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do the cupholders interfere with someone riding in the middle seat? Also do they block the cubby?

my knees touch the cupholders if i sit in the middle seat (I'm 6'). my middle seat rider is my 6yo so for now its not an issue for me. they dont block the cubby but they are in front of it. i can still easily reach in to it, but its not wide open where you can see everything in it.

Reactions: MuDSlinger

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!