P1000 Elka Rear shocks - stage 3 or stage 4

B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking to upgrade shocks, will probably go with the stage 3 up front but given rear passenger location I am debating going with the Stage 4 on the back so I can slow down that rebound on the back to give the passengers in the back a smoother ride. Don't really ride fast enough that I am worried about the suspension packing up, but when riding over water bars the back seat passengers sure go for a ride when that suspension rebounds.

So, question for you guys running Elka stage 3 rear shocks, how is the rebound?

Reactions: Lady01 and TxDoc
R

rickoshea

Looking to upgrade shocks, will probably go with the stage 3 up front but given rear passenger location I am debating going with the Stage 4 on the back so I can slow down that rebound on the back to give the passengers in the back a smoother ride. Don't really ride fast enough that I am worried about the suspension packing up, but when riding over water bars the back seat passengers sure go for a ride when that suspension rebounds.

So, question for you guys running Elka stage 3 rear shocks, how is the rebound?
i'm a very aggressive driver and also use mine for working the property and they work fine for me.that being said,if i had to do it over i'd go stage 4 front and rear.

B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i'm a very aggressive driver and also use mine for working the property and they work fine for me.that being said,if i had to do it over i'd go stage 4 front and rear.
What do you think you would pick up with the stage 4 that you are missing with a Stage 3?

Did a little more digging around and found out their stage 2 also has rebound so debating if I really need the piggyback res. I don't ride hard for extended periods of time so not too worried about heat buildup. Would end up giving up the compression damping if I went that route though.

Reactions: ChadD and Lady01
R

rickoshea

What do you think you would pick up with the stage 4 that you are missing with a Stage 3?

Did a little more digging around and found out their stage 2 also has rebound so debating if I really need the piggyback res. I don't ride hard for extended periods of time so not too worried about heat buildup. Would end up giving up the compression damping if I went that route though.
i would benefit more with rebound adjustment for my style of riding.i wanted the Talon but needed the pioneer,so i treat it like a Talon when it's not doing work. stage 3 is a very good shock for the machine and works extremely well,but a stage 4 is a step above in adjustability.the areas i ride in have vastly different terrain changes.

Reactions: ChadD and Lady01
JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
FWIW I am very happy with the S3 Elkas.
I have about 700 miles on mine, nearly all on my lease in OK. We have very rocky and bumpy roads and a lot of rocky hill climbs. Im sure the S4s or S5s would be better, but I couldnt part with the extra $$.
When you order make sure you consider how you load your SXS. I had to order a stiffer set of springs for the rear in mine after the initial purchase.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
FWIW I am very happy with the S3 Elkas.
I have about 700 miles on mine, nearly all on my lease in OK. We have very rocky and bumpy roads and a lot of rocky hill climbs. Im sure the S4s or S5s would be better, but I couldnt part with the extra $$.
When you order make sure you consider how you load your SXS. I had to order a stiffer set of springs for the rear in mine after the initial purchase.
What @joelyl said, they build these shocks specifically for the information you provide them, be honest. You aren't going to be flying down the trails with 5 people. I've got the 5's, way over over kill. The 3's will just fine and save a bunch of money!

B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OK, I guess last question, any contact info or HondaSxS.com hookup at Elka?

Reactions: Lady01
JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not sure if they still do it, but here is the post with discount info

aleaddict

aleaddict

Lifetime Member
Jan 17, 2021
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@bldmtnrider I ordered through iShock. They are the largest (and possibly only) US distributor.

Spoonbill

Spoonbill

Apr 24, 2020
East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What @joelyl said, they build these shocks specifically for the information you provide them, be honest. You aren't going to be flying down the trails with 5 people. I've got the 5's, way over over kill. The 3's will just fine and save a bunch of money!
Speaking of Pesos, does anyone have sources to beat the $2700 for a full set of stage 3’s? Are they worth the extra $700 over the Fox QS3’s

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!