russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Thanks to @snuffnwhisky I'm the new owner of a real nice set of used Elka Stage 5 shocks. I also installed a set of new SATV rear A-arms as well. Hopefully my Buckshot Mudders will be here this week and I'll be good to go for a while. Regarding the arms, while I certainly appreciate the adjustable camber, they are a real PITA to adjust. Hint hint @SuperATV. PS, sorry for the crappy picture.

Elka1

Elka2

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks to @snuffnwhisky I'm the new owner of a real nice set of used Elka Stage 5 shocks. I also installed a set of new SATV rear A-arms as well. Hopefully my Buckshot Mudders will be here this week and I'll be good to go for a while. Regarding the arms, while I certainly appreciate the adjustable camber, they are a real PITA to adjust. Hint hint @SuperATV. PS, sorry for the crappy picture.

View attachment 353313

View attachment 353314
One of these days we are going to try 14" springs . Probably me and then you. A-arms position looks good. Take a picture of the shocks at your regular payload and you may find you need a little more preload. Part of me thinks @snuffnwhisky already swapped you to a stiffer spring since they are gray not black

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Promptly went out this evening and got stuck the worst I've ever been. Fell off in a skidder rut in a swamp. Of course, no trees within a hundred yards. Almost stepped on a cottonmouth walking out to the road. Called my old reliable riding buddy and he came to the rescue. Wish I had gotten a picture.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand

View attachment 353313

View attachment 353314
I forgot to set the adjusters. No idea where they were at. Counterclockwise is softer, clockwise is stiff. Low speed is the small adjuster and high speed is the big one. The small adjuster rotates with the big one when adjusting it so no need to hold the small one still. Rebound is the flat head screw at the bottom of the shock. I would back them all the way off and screw in 6 clicks to start on all. Low speed adjust body roll, small hits and low vehicle speed. High speed is for hitting big rocks and such where shock velocity is high. Rebound also controls body roll and rear end hop when jumping. Good idea to run the exact same trail with one shock change at a time. Also do an extreme adjustment to really feel what it does. Also make sure the shocks are warmed up before changing settings.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I forgot to set the adjusters. No idea where they were at. Counterclockwise is softer, clockwise is stiff. Low speed is the small adjuster and high speed is the big one. The small adjuster rotates with the big one when adjusting it so no need to hold the small one still. Rebound is the flat head screw at the bottom of the shock. I would back them all the way off and screw in 6 clicks to start on all. Low speed adjust body roll, small hits and low vehicle speed. High speed is for hitting big rocks and such where shock velocity is high. Rebound also controls body roll and rear end hop when jumping. Good idea to run the exact same trail with one shock change at a time. Also do an extreme adjustment to really feel what it does. Also make sure the shocks are warmed up before changing settings.

Thank you sir.

advertisement
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you compress the springs, will it stiffen the ride?
Depends what you're trying to fix. Adding preload to mine made the low speed 5-15 mph a bit rougher but still very good. The added height kept the tires off the roll cage and bottom of the doors over bigger bumps 20-30mph. For me reducing the jarring higher speed bottom out events was important. Adding compression and rebound also helped with the abrupt impacts.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
@Smitty335 Don't you have Elka 5's? Could you share with me how you have yours set up?
I started with spring sag, load your buggy with approximate weight, I used concrete bags and a cooler of beer. Then jack both front and rear up until shock travel is extended to they're max, take a measurement, lower and roll back and forth, then set spring sag at 1.5 inches with all the weight in the S x S. I got all my set up from Snuff, probably same shocks. Set slow speed fairly slow, high speed pretty fast and rebound quick. I can bobble down the trails at a quick pace. I don't run a sway bar, thus the low speed setting on slow to composite for lack of sway bar, The fast medium to absorb impacts and rebound quick to to get shock extended for next impact. Well that's how I do it?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Awesome setup. Did you get additional ground clearance with the new shocks ?

Thanks

Rudy
A little but nothing major, just corrected the total spring sag on the stock shocks.

Reactions: Bama-Daniel
russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I started with spring sag, load your buggy with approximate weight, I used concrete bags and a cooler of beer. Then jack both front and rear up until shock travel is extended to they're max, take a measurement, lower and roll back and forth, then set spring sag at 1.5 inches with all the weight in the S x S. I got all my set up from Snuff, probably same shocks. Set slow speed fairly slow, high speed pretty fast and rebound quick. I can bobble down the trails at a quick pace. I don't run a sway bar, thus the low speed setting on slow to composite for lack of sway bar, The fast medium to absorb impacts and rebound quick to to get shock extended for next impact. Well that's how I do it?

How is spring sag measured and what exactly are you measuring?

Reactions: Bama-Daniel
russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
And, BTW, I'm looking for maximum comfort. Want the smoothest ride possible, don't care about gaining any ground clearance. My N78-15 (31") Buckshot Mudders will be mounted later today, so that coupled with SATV front and rear a-arms should be sufficient.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And, BTW, I'm looking for maximum comfort. Want the smoothest ride possible, don't care about gaining any ground clearance. My N78-15 (31") Buckshot Mudders will be mounted later today, so that coupled with SATV front and rear a-arms should be sufficient.
I'll be surprised if you don't rub 31s. Up front I trimmed 1/2" under my headlights. In the rear I rub the bottom of the doors, door hinges, bottom of the bed and the rear roll bar gusset on 30s.

I'd start with as little preload as you can buy adding preload isn't all bad. I can send you my Elka settings one of these days the only missing piece will be the spring rate unless you can figure out what's on your shocks

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!