Talon Elka Stage 5 for the Talon X

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
So I spoke with Rick at LDR Suspension and he said they can replace the QS3 adjustment knobs with full dials, including rebound adjustment. I expect this would be cheaper than the Elkas to achieve the adjust ability I seek. I should have a quote in a couple days. They are local to me and are regulars at TexPlex where I ride sometimes, so I think they would be ideal to work with. Will keep you all posted.

I ride at Texplex to. We will probably bump into each other at some point. Definitely let us all know what they quote you and what is included in the price. They are local to me also.

G-Force quoted me $2300 to add DSC and rebound adjusters, revalve to racing spec (I plan to race at Texplex before the season is over, and they race there also) and all new springs. Was a little more than I was expecting but still reasonable for basically a completely new shock minus the body and shaft.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
By all means, PLEASE keep us posted on this. Prices, links, phone numbers, etc. :)

I posted a link to LRD, G-Force and Tripple E Racing who all re-work Talon factory shocks. Any of those companies are a sure bet in my opinion.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I had Elka 5's on my pioneer. The quality is top notch. The preload collars use a clamp ring with holes for a 1/4" bar to adjust which is awesome and an expensive upgrade. The machine work and anodizing is really great compared. The compression knobs are tool-less. Sealed heim bearings in both ends. They also use metric valve shims which are thinner and more of them for a larger range of dampening. No issues leaking with mine. The down side... they are a canadian company with little US reps. Parts are a lot more expensive and more proprietary. I didn't feel like they spent enough time getting the correct valving for the pioneer. They are pricey and for similar prices, you can probably get a better shock from Fox, King, etc, not Talon specific but custom with more options like bottom out control or internal bypass.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
So I spoke with Rick at LDR Suspension and he said they can replace the QS3 adjustment knobs with full dials, including rebound adjustment. I expect this would be cheaper than the Elkas to achieve the adjust ability I seek. I should have a quote in a couple days. They are local to me and are regulars at TexPlex where I ride sometimes, so I think they would be ideal to work with. Will keep you all posted.

Any update on this? I was going to call LRD myself but got tied up traveling for work this week.

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon x4
They're supposed to get back with me but haven't yet.

S

Stryker

Apr 19, 2019
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have stage 4 Elka's on my X talon, so far I really like them. In a few weeks I will be in Oklahoma at the sand dunes so the real test will be there. So far I have pushed them over county roads that have no maintenance,, across bean fields with drainage terraces and choppy ground surface. They seem to float over rutty ground at speed and the pot holes in a dirt road are almost not there. I get some Body roll with hard cornering but there is not any feeling like I'm going to lay it over on its side. A stronger sway bar could help but I only found one made for a R talon. I have no complaints or buyers remorse for putting on a set of Elkas.
The talon r adjustable sway bar bolts right up,no clearance issues.i have it and made a difference in getting rid of the body roll in hard cornering. Any more feedback on the elka's?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The talon r adjustable sway bar bolts right up,no clearance issues.i have it and made a difference in getting rid of the body roll in hard cornering. Any more feedback on the elka's?
You might adjust for more dampening? I don't run sway bars, with the Stage 5's, but I've got a totally different bike.

Reactions: Hometeam
S

Stryker

Apr 19, 2019
Ownership

1. Talon X
You might adjust for more dampening? I don't run sway bars, with the Stage 5's, but I've got a totally different bike.
I don't have elka's,had my qs3 revalved.much pusher ride but wanted less body roll in cornering.

Reactions: Smitty335
RideRed85

RideRed85

Jan 23, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. Talon X
I got the 46mm body,,, it comes that way with my stage 4. I have plans to be there April 4th and 5th. I have the setting just like when they sent them to me,,, so I have no idea what to expect either way but surely it will be much better. The stock shocks beat my butt to death especially in the trails. I'm 6 hours from there north of Lawrence Ks

How are you liking your Elka Stage 4's at this point? The Stage 4 seems comparable $$ wise to doing the Fox re-valve and spring changes.

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
How are you liking your Elka Stage 4's at this point? The Stage 4 seems comparable $$ wise to doing the Fox re-valve and spring changes.
I like them just fine,,, compared to the oem fox they were night and day. I admit that I'm some what inept to what to expect with Elka or how to make any adjustments to compliment my riding style. My reason I wanted them was riding in the sand. The wheel ruts from other machines are not fun when the sand gets really beat up. The stock shocks beat me to death and not so much now with the elka's, so far no regrets.

Reactions: RideRed85

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!