EMP rear bumper install issue

Squank

Squank

Jun 26, 2014
Ownership

1. 700-2
I bought the EMP-12494 rear bumper for my P700-2 and I can't install it because the brackets hit the frame below the tailgate pivot and will not lay flat against the pivot to bolt up. Have any of you guys had this problem? I included a picture of what I am talking about. The square frame underneath the tailgate pivot is not shown in the photos included in the instructions. The replacement pivot keeper bolts in the kit will barely reach a thread and cannot pull the bracket in place. Beating it out straighter will change the position of the bracket to where the bumper won't line up.

I bought it from sidebysidesports.com and of course they directed me to EMP for support. After several calls back and forth, EMP has not offered any option to fix or replace the brackets and said I will just have to RMA it. Now I'm stuck with return shipping costs to send a bumper back to California.

Not happy with EMP right now.

**Squank

Attachments

• EMP-bracket.JPG
    EMP-bracket.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
@Squank
http://hondasxs.com/gallery/albums/emp-rear-bumper-install-on-a-700-4-with-modified-mount-bracket.2/
I uploaded the gallery. I looked for a picture from the same angle as yours but could not find one. I went out to my sxs to see if I could see it but I cant.

I dont remember a issue with mine. I do remember it touching at the angle but it went flat I think.
If it was me. I would look at several things.
- Can you find a washer to go in-between to give it more spacing?
- Put some lock tight on the small bolt. Even if it did come loose the pin want fall out. You can see in THIS picture it has no where to go.
Thanks.

Squank

Squank

Jun 26, 2014
Ownership

1. 700-2
Mine is at such an angle that it will not allow the replacement keeper bolt to reach threads. Also, it would take two sets of washers - washers for the tailgate pin - which would be large - and smaller washers for the keeper bolt. And it would take two or 3 of each stacked together to push the bracket out far enough. If I can't get EMP to pay shipping for the RMA, I may just see if I can beat hell out of it and make it work rather than lose money on the return. Of course, once you beat on it, the RMA option is out. Sucks any way you look at it.

I will buy no more Extreme Metal Products, that's for sure. You gotta stand behind what you sell. Period. EMP just shrugged it off and left me holding the bag with no way out that I don't lose money. That is messed up.

**Squank

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
Yea that sucks. I would be done with them also. I haven't bought anything from them because I don't like the front or rear bumper.

Squank

Squank

Jun 26, 2014
Ownership

1. 700-2
Looks like I'm going to have to fab some kind of spacer to go between the bracket and the frame to move it out a bit. That seems to be the way some other folks have fixed this. Don't know why EMP couldn't offer some custom spacers to fix the problem. I'm definitely not the only one to experience this. Saw one guy who fixed it by puttin the brackets in a vise and bending them. Another just fabbed his own brackets. Best fix to me, aside from fabbing the bracket right in the first place, would be a spacer.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!