P700 EMP rear bumper with "flat tailgate" cables? Will it work ok?

Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
Been eyeballing rear bumpers, looks like $200ish delivered will get me into an aftermarket model.
One thing that has me wondering is how it mounts to the machine.
I see 1/2" ish threaded bolt holes in rear frame rails, I assumed for a bumper.
I'm finding that the bumper actually moves with the dump bed and possibly shares its pivot hinge?

Has anyone installed the EMP rear bumper while using the longer tailgate cables?
If so, does the tailgate hit the bumper? The pic is from the EMP website, it looks like the tailgate is touching the bumper on one side without the "flat tailgate" modification.

Factory pic:
F99212695

Last edited:
KyleC

KyleC

Apr 21, 2019
Pittsburgh, PA
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have the "flat tailgate" brackets and an EMP rear bumper. They do not interfere with each other, nor do you use longer cables. The stock cables are used, and you swap the bracket it attaches too on the tailgate. The bumper attaches to the same bracket the tailgate attaches to, and moves along with the bed. Was a little bit of a pain to install on a 2014, as there was a little rust, but it wasn't that bad. Super easy install, if on a newer, less used machine.

Reactions: Slackjaw
Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
I bought the actual longer cables rather than the longer bracket, but same idea.
Glad to hear the tailgate can sit flat with the EMP. I plan to order one soon.
Looks like a decent value over the OEM version.

Reactions: KyleC

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!