Help with Lightbar Wiring

S

scotthud1321

Jul 14, 2023
Benton, La.
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hey Guys, I am new to the forum but have had my 700-4 since August of 2014. I wanted to install 2 pod lights on rear and small 12"-15" light bar on front. I ordered the harness extension form SxS club to have keyed power. I recently purchased a rocker panel with 3 switches and a USB charging port. I am electrically an idiot so I need help with hooking lights to switches and making sure I have power. My wiring harness has a relay and came with a 5 pin switch. On my harness it only has 1 red (hot) wire coming out. Should I hook this to the hot wire on the switch panel and then hot positive and negative of wiring harness to the battery? Open for suggestions.

Switch Harness  switch 2014 Pioneer 700 4

Reactions: Red500 and futzin
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hey Guys, I am new to the forum but have had my 700-4 since August of 2014. I wanted to install 2 pod lights on rear and small 12"-15" light bar on front. I ordered the harness extension form SxS club to have keyed power. I recently purchased a rocker panel with 3 switches and a USB charging port. I am electrically an idiot so I need help with hooking lights to switches and making sure I have power. My wiring harness has a relay and came with a 5 pin switch. On my harness it only has 1 red (hot) wire coming out. Should I hook this to the hot wire on the switch panel and then hot positive and negative of wiring harness to the battery? Open for suggestions.

View attachment 395904 View attachment 395905 View attachment 395907
Need more pictures to know exactly what you have.

But from these. The black line needs ground.
The red line needs to come from the relay.
Then each switch should have a output pin I can't see. This would be to the accessory (limit to 15 amps. 20 max load)
Not sure about the white. Is this one a winch or what?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

S

scotthud1321

Jul 14, 2023
Benton, La.
Ownership

1. 700-4
Attached is pic of front of switch panel. Yes white wires are for the 7 pin switch for the winch. Others are 5 pin switches. Volt meter has 1 red (hot) and 1 black wire (ground). I have attached the rear pod lights but have not ran the supplied wiring harness. I plan on adding a front led bar light. Just a small 15”. Should I hook all of the hot wires directly to the battery or is there a better way?

IMG 1772 IMG 1773

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
What do you plan to operate with the 2 switches?

And the other harness that has the relay. ( not shown). What is it for?
Did it come with a switch or are you wishing to use one of these 2 switches?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

S

scotthud1321

Jul 14, 2023
Benton, La.
Ownership

1. 700-4
Switch on far left is for the winch. Second from left will operate the front led light bar (not yet purchased). Second from right will operate the 2 rear lights. That set of rear lights came with a wiring harness and I will use the existing 5 pin light switch. That wiring harness has a 40 amp relay with an inline 15 amp fuse. Far right is volt meter and USB charging port.

IMG 1776 IMG 1775 IMG 1774

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Depending on your front light bar size, you may be able to use just key-on power source.

If so, things are simple.
On the back of the panel, hook the red to the key-on power and the black needs a ground.

For the relay harness, We really only need the white wire, It needs to go to pin 3 on the switch. Cut off AND tape up the red wires.
Cut off the second white jumper flush with the first spade connector.
The black wire can just be cut off flush with the sheaving.
Or, you can just tape them all up separately.

When you get your light bar, hopefully, it comes with a similar relay, do the same. If it doesn't, then we need to gauge the draw. If it is under 8 amps draw then it can run straight to pin 3. If it is more, I recommend a relay. Even though the switch can handle 20 amps the key-on circuit cant.

For the winch, One of the white is the IN control, the other is the OUT. Just have to play around and figure that out.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
OH.. I also recommend removing this spade connector.
American winches usually do not need a ground sent to the winch as they just pull it from the ground contactor.
In the configuration shown, it alternates the ground via the opposite wire of the positive.

Reactions: Smitty335
S

scotthud1321

Jul 14, 2023
Benton, La.
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks for all of the guidance. I will send new pics when I get everything wired and working.

Reactions: Smitty335
S

scotthud1321

Jul 14, 2023
Benton, La.
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well, I finally got around to installing the wiring for my rear lights. Ended up running 6 guage from my battery up to a fuse block. I ran a 6 gauge ground to the frame. Mounted the fuse block and then relay supplied with wiring harness under the hood of my machine. I ran wires to the rear lights thru 1/2" loon. I ran the wires along the frame under the tilt bed and ran up ROPs to the lights. I hooked my ACC lead purchased from SxS club and hooked up to my switch. I ran a ground from switch panel to the fuse block.
Wiring photos
Fuse block Loon along frame

S

scotthud1321

Jul 14, 2023
Benton, La.
Ownership

1. 700-4
Okay guys; I tried out my handywork over the weekend. My front light that mounted on the front bumper acts likes it flickers as I hit bumps and the SxS is jarring around. Question I have could that be a connection issue with one of the wires on that front light.

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
Okay guys; I tried out my handywork over the weekend. My front light that mounted on the front bumper acts likes it flickers as I hit bumps and the SxS is jarring around. Question I have could that be a connection issue with one of the wires on that front light.
The connections would be the first thing I would check.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Well, I finally got around to installing the wiring for my rear lights. Ended up running 6 guage from my battery up to a fuse block. I ran a 6 gauge ground to the frame. Mounted the fuse block and then relay supplied with wiring harness under the hood of my machine. I ran wires to the rear lights thru 1/2" loon. I ran the wires along the frame under the tilt bed and ran up ROPs to the lights. I hooked my ACC lead purchased from SxS club and hooked up to my switch. I ran a ground from switch panel to the fuse block. View attachment 397973 View attachment 397974 View attachment 397975
pro tip, cut wire ties close to female end, rotate connection so u cant see it - omg, too much OCD on my end, im tarting out

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!