Engine cuts out at 12 MPH

brad bevins

brad bevins

Nov 10, 2023
Ocean Springs MS
Ownership

1. 700-2
Today I installed the new ECU and went for a test drive.

At 12 mph the motor still cuts out and pulls the speed down to about 6-7 mph. The display shows 31 or 32 quick blinks for the bulb with the seat belt symbol when the key is first turned on. There are no long blinks.

I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

Reactions: ChadD
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Change your oil and filter. The 700 does weird crap when it is low on oil.
Try that and report back.
Or check the level and add oil.

Reactions: ChadD and Rayger143
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X

At 12 mph the motor still cuts out and pulls the speed down to about 6-7 mph. The display shows 31 or 32 quick blinks for the bulb with the seat belt symbol when the key is first turned on. There are no long blinks.

disconnect speed switch and use an app to determine mph?

u did test it again with new eco and problem went away when speed switch disconnected?

Reactions: ChadD and trigger
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X

im guessing here, you pull the switch in the rear by chance that is giving u speed and check it, seems to be the item telling machine to cut out -

brad bevins

brad bevins

Nov 10, 2023
Ocean Springs MS
Ownership

1. 700-2
Previously, I disconnected the connector/wires for the speedometer from the differential. Then I test drove it. I believe it exceeded the 12 mph since it allowed me to rev up the motor while driving without the engine cutting out. I didn't think it was shifting gears but not 100% sure about that. It felt like it was still in 1st gear going about 15+ mph.

Reactions: osobad and ChadD
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Previously, I disconnected the connector/wires for the speedometer from the differential. Then I test drove it. I believe it exceeded the 12 mph since it allowed me to rev up the motor while driving without the engine cutting out. I didn't think it was shifting gears but not 100% sure about that. It felt like it was still in 1st gear going about 15+ mph.
Drop a GPS app on your phone and you can repeat that test to quickly confirm it does exceed the 12/13 mph.

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yeah, not sure it's the seat belt. Mine chugs a bit but maintains 12-13 with the seat belt off (don't wear it much when running on my property...)

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
When I had a 700 I left the seatbelt latched to avoid the limiter. I never used it once in 3 1/2 yrs I owned it

D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know it sounds dumb but I didn't see it listed in here, have you tried plugging the seat belt in and taking it for a drive?

brad bevins

brad bevins

Nov 10, 2023
Ocean Springs MS
Ownership

1. 700-2
The 2015 model year does not have a wired driver-side seatbelt. I believe that started in 2017.

Yesterday I checked (3) ground and (1) power wire for the PCM, erased the Diagnostic Trouble Code, checked the FI fuse and now I get the same 32 quick blinks.

The parts guy at the local Honda dealer is going to call Honda Technical Support on Monday and ask for help.

Last edited:
brad bevins

brad bevins

Nov 10, 2023
Ocean Springs MS
Ownership

1. 700-2
It was recommended that I screw in the Emergency Valve so today I did that and tested it again. There was no change, it cut out at 12 mph. I then disconnected the connector/wires on the rear differential. I then went for another test drive. The SXS would now go 20 mph (using an iphone app to determine speed). I'm pretty sure it was in second gear and there was no shifting.

Also, this morning I let it idle for 5 minutes and then checked the oil level. It was in the middle between the two marks. Also, the oil has less than 1 hour on it. So the oil level probably does not have anything to do with my problem.

The local Honda dealer said he could not get through to Honda Technical Support yesterday.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It was recommended that I screw in the Emergency Valve so today I did that and tested it again. There was no change, it cut out at 12 mph. I then disconnected the connector/wires on the rear differential. I then went for another test drive. The SXS would now go 20 mph (using an iphone app to determine speed). I'm pretty sure it was in second gear and there was no shifting.

Also, this morning I let it idle for 5 minutes and then checked the oil level. It was in the middle between the two marks. Also, the oil has less than 1 hour on it. So the oil level probably does not have anything to do with my problem.

The local Honda dealer said he could not get through to Honda Technical Support yesterday.
Forgive my ignorance on the 700 here, but does the 700 have paddle shifters and MT/AT switch? If so will it shift in AT mode via the paddles? If not my apologies for wasting a post.

Reactions: Backwoods and ChadD
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
At the risk of sounding stupid….how old is your battery?

A weak battery on P1000 will make it do strange things, never leave 1st gear etc.

Reactions: ChadD and trigger
brad bevins

brad bevins

Nov 10, 2023
Ocean Springs MS
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have no idea about the battery other than it seems to start the SXS well. I just bought the SXS a few months ago.

Today I tested the Gear Position Switch and connectors. It is supposed to have continuity when testing each gear position (Drive, Neutral and Reverse). It had none no matter what position, so I ordered a new switch. It should be in Tuesday. Stay tuned.

I also used my home computer to slow down and count the blinks. It has 35 rapid blinks, which does not match anything in the service manual. If it had 41 it would be telling us to check out the Gear Position Switch.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have no idea about the battery other than it seems to start the SXS well. I just bought the SXS a few months ago.

Today I tested the Gear Position Switch and connectors. It is supposed to have continuity when testing each gear position (Drive, Neutral and Reverse). It had none no matter what position, so I ordered a new switch. It should be in Tuesday. Stay tuned.

I also used my home computer to slow down and count the blinks. It has 35 rapid blinks, which does not match anything in the service manual. If it had 41 it would be telling us to check out the Gear Position Switch.
I’d place a charger on it or a jump pack and drive it around. Weak battery will often still start these buggy’s but not have any extra juice to move the shifter motor etc. You should have a strong 13.5 or more at idle. I wouldn’t be so quick to assume the battery is good speaking from experience on how often this happens with a p1k.

You don’t say if it’s shifting or not…sounds like it isn’t to me and it’s rev limiting out because it isn’t shifting. If true that sounds very much like a weak battery to me.

Just pointing out it could be the battery. It’s really the first place to start on these Hondas it seems.

brad bevins

brad bevins

Nov 10, 2023
Ocean Springs MS
Ownership

1. 700-2
The voltage with the engine off is 12.45 and at idle it is 14.30. Is it possible that it has too many volts?

I videoed the blinks and slowed them down so I could accurately count them. There are 35 blinks. I'm confused since the manual page for trouble codes has an option of 32 blinks and 41 blinks, but not 35. Attached is a file with the Drivetrain DTC Index page. What is wrong with my thinking?

Attachments

• Error Codes .pdf
    170.1 KB · Views: 30

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!