BOX1

P500 Engine dying

S

Strib

Sep 21, 2017
Smithfield , Utah
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hi folks, I recently had my 2017 500 die out on the trail. After a few cycles of the key it was back to normal.
I have 30 years as a tech for a German car company and found something on the Pioneer that would have been a definite red flag on the autos I worked on. #1, The coil and spark plug wire have two harnesses routed right next to them. The spark plug wire was touching the 02 sensor wire and another harness was touching the coil. These harnesses go right to the control module. The high voltage and EM signal has caused havoc on autos with all this electronics and produced the same symptom. Engine dies and then restarts when key cycled. The fix is to move these harnesses away from the coil and plug wire. #2 the ground next to the battery. It was as tight as could be but closer inspection showed corrosion between the connector and frame. The fix is to clean, add die electric grease and reassemble. don't forget to clean the threads of both the bolt and the frame. Hope this helps some folks.

IMG 20210523 130413140 IMG 20210523 091358604 IMG 20210523 091724403

F

Fischer

Dec 22, 2019
The woods
Ownership

1. 500
Hi folks, I recently had my 2017 500 die out on the trail. After a few cycles of the key it was back to normal.
I have 30 years as a tech for a German car company and found something on the Pioneer that would have been a definite red flag on the autos I worked on. #1, The coil and spark plug wire have two harnesses routed right next to them. The spark plug wire was touching the 02 sensor wire and another harness was touching the coil. These harnesses go right to the control module. The high voltage and EM signal has caused havoc on autos with all this electronics and produced the same symptom. Engine dies and then restarts when key cycled. The fix is to move these harnesses away from the coil and plug wire. #2 the ground next to the battery. It was as tight as could be but closer inspection showed corrosion between the connector and frame. The fix is to clean, add die electric grease and reassemble. don't forget to clean the threads of both the bolt and the frame. Hope this helps some folks.

View attachment 273508 View attachment 273509 View attachment 273510
Was that first picture after or before you fixed it?

F

Fischer

Dec 22, 2019
The woods
Ownership

1. 500
All three are before the fix. The eye connector is corroded/dirty and the frame has some corrosion. I steel wool them and run a 6mm tap through the threads to clean. I never go through water but just splash from normal use.
Do you have a picture of the fix on how you rerouted the plug and coil wires and harnesses?

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Great share and maintenance/looking these units over closely is a key for long-term reliability.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Can you wrap the harnesses with some kind of shielding, instead of relocating?

S

Strib

Sep 21, 2017
Smithfield , Utah
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
You can but I don't know how to do that. I know there was a problem on a certain model that had the engine control module (ECM) in the engine compartment and the factory had us wrap the ECM in aluminum foil and then ground the foil to the body of the car. If this fixed the issue we could then order a newer style wiring harness with built in shielding.
I must say that is VERY easy to relocate the harness (s) on the pioneer. Just disconnect the harness securing clips and zip tie to the cross bar.

Reactions: Jerryg
F

Fischer

Dec 22, 2019
The woods
Ownership

1. 500
You can but I don't know how to do that. I know there was a problem on a certain model that had the engine control module (ECM) in the engine compartment and the factory had us wrap the ECM in aluminum foil and then ground the foil to the body of the car. If this fixed the issue we could then order a newer style wiring harness with built in shielding.
I must say that is VERY easy to relocate the harness (s) on the pioneer. Just disconnect the harness securing clips and zip tie to the cross bar

F

Fischer

Dec 22, 2019
The woods
Ownership

1. 500
I wonder how many pioneers had a problem due to this? Was it the wire harness that was the problem or the green battery ground wires?

Reactions: Strib
S

Strib

Sep 21, 2017
Smithfield , Utah
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Good question. I do know that the harness being in contact with the coil did cause this exact symptom. I'm leaning in that direction.

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
Can this be moved from P500 Reviews into the shop talk area? It’s great information….. in the wrong place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jerryg and Strib
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!