EV SXSs any good?

S

SmittyOne

Oct 20, 2021
Omaha
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Just throwing this out there. Anyone ever used, or know anyone who has, and heard good and/or bad things about electric/battery powered SXSs? The only reason I would consider one is how much quieter they are. Of course, driving on gravel, you're not going to sneak up on anything. The biggest reason not to want one is their terrible range. I've seen about 50 miles, or even less. There may be some out there that offer longer range, that I haven't heard of. At many of the places I go now (in the car), that I'd consider using the SXS instead, would definitely be more than 50 miles in one day's bird outing.

Reactions: TxDoc
H

HondaTech

Just throwing this out there. Anyone ever used, or know anyone who has, and heard good and/or bad things about electric/battery powered SXSs? The only reason I would consider one is how much quieter they are. Of course, driving on gravel, you're not going to sneak up on anything. The biggest reason not to want one is their terrible range. I've seen about 50 miles, or even less. There may be some out there that offer longer range, that I haven't heard of. At many of the places I go now (in the car), that I'd consider using the SXS instead, would definitely be more than 50 miles in one day's bird outing.

We had a customer of ours who ended up with a EV Ranger because his normal Ranger caught fire and Polaris gave him it in place.

He said it had the tires it came with it had no traction, and more agressive tires bogged it down so bad that it wouldn't climb anything.

Im sure it could be made to have "power" but we already have issues with electronics on SXSs so i can only imagine the issues it would cause on something that is powered by electricity.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I can carry extra fuel (and do) but it would be tuff to carry an extra battery. Except for my bicycles (pre driver's license), every toy I've ever owned has burned fossil fuels - so I'm addicted.

S

SmittyOne

Oct 20, 2021
Omaha
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Speaking of batteries, the one on the P500/520 is in back by the motor right, while the one on the P1000 is under the hood? Where is the battery on the P700?

Reactions: JenElio
S

SmittyOne

Oct 20, 2021
Omaha
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Under the seat on passenger side
Thanks. The reason I'm asking is because (even though I don't even have one yet), I'm already thinking about a 2nd battery, and where it might go and how to hook it up. Just watched a great video on exactly that, but it was on a P1000--super easy. The smaller SXSs, maybe not so easy.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
You mean a golf cart?

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
We had a customer of ours who ended up with a EV Ranger because his normal Ranger caught fire and Polaris gave him it in place.

He said it had the tires it came with it had no traction, and more agressive tires bogged it down so bad that it wouldn't climb anything.

Im sure it could be made to have "power" but we already have issues with electronics on SXSs so i can only imagine the issues it would cause on something that is powered by electricity.
I can see the questions now…

How do I snorkel my EV Ranger so I can drive it like a submarine…

What happens when I install portals on my EV Ranger?

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thanks. The reason I'm asking is because (even though I don't even have one yet), I'm already thinking about a 2nd battery, and where it might go and how to hook it up. Just watched a great video on exactly that, but it was on a P1000--super easy. The smaller SXSs, maybe not so easy.
I think you need to just get one quick or your gonna have so many answers and options your gonna be confused! 😂

advertisement
S

SmittyOne

Oct 20, 2021
Omaha
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I think you need to just get one quick or your gonna have so many answers and options your gonna be confused! 😂
Believe it or not, I've narrowed down my list from over 15 brands (yes, there's lots of them to choose from), down to exclusively a Honda product. All the Chinese knock-off ones were first to go, then Can-Am and Polaris due to price/unreliability, etc. All these questions I've been asking, and getting lots of great advice from you guys BTW, is really helping me make my decision(s). Don't worry, if you think I'm blowing up the forum now, just wait until I actually have something to drive!

S

SmittyOne

Oct 20, 2021
Omaha
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Oh yeah I forgot that staple question of ownership.
Although I've already got an accessory/options list as long as my arm, I never really considered anything that'd increase ground clearance (yet) since at this point, we don't intend to take it "off trail".

advertisement