Talon Evo exhaust install, all the gory details

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
This is a horror story, those with weak constitutions or any SJWs in the audience should leave the room now, I'll wait . . .

I first ordered my Evo exhaust through SxS Blog on Dec 15th. It took nearly 4 weeks to arrive, but with the holidays and the advertised 2 week lead time on exhaust orders, this wasn't a problem. The problems we did have were no shipping notification (I'm one of those dicks that likes to know in advance when hundreds of dollars in junk is gonna be left sitting on my porch), and the heat shield was black instead of the red I specified.

A quick email to Rick at SxS Blog and he sets the Evo wheels in motion to get the proper heat shield out to me. About a week or 10 days later, I now have the proper colored heat shield, unfortunately the whole passing along some tracking info thing escaped them. Yes, it's the right color, but it's for a different exhaust. This is starting to get old. This time I call Evo directly and ask if I could pretty-please get what I had ordered 7 or 8 weeks ago. It appears that I can, finally, and I start to install the exhaust after the third try.

Evo 1

Now, imagine a circle, now bash that circle against something like concrete until it is D shaped, then shove that fawked up POS into a box before anybody sees you. That is what I received. This damage had to occur before shipping as the box is in surprisingly good condition and the excellent foam packing used did it's job well, ensuring the dicked exhaust system arrived in 100% factory (damaged) fresh condition. The end of the exhaust mid-pipe joint, along with the included heavy duty clamp, could not slip over the pipe leading to the engine. It appears that Evo anticipated the exhaust pipe possibly getting damaged, for they taped the stout clamp over the end to make it that much harder for the shaved apes in the back of the warehouse to bend the crap out of it. But, they were up to the challenge, dug deep, and came through! Since it's a Saturday, and I don't feel like waiting another week and a half to get this 1 hour install completed, I turned to those fine purveyors of quality tools for decades, Harbor Freight. I picked up a $20 exhaust pipe expander and got the clamp and pipe back into something resembling round that would now slip over the other piece of pipe. In my irritation and desire to hopefully finish the install, I unfortunately failed to get a photo.

The Talon exhaust hangers are marvels of engineering, designed to last for decades or more. The hanger brackets are held onto the exhaust can with three 8mm dia bolts, sturdy bolts with a large head to carry the load. Nuts are welded to the Honda exhaust to attach these serious fasteners. The unfortunate Evo solution is to use low quality bolts roughly half that diameter in an attempt to increase their margin of error in matching the simple triangle bolt pattern. This wee hardware is merely threaded into the drilled & tapped sheet metal of the Evo exhaust bracket instead of nice solid nuts. Despite the increased play allowed by the teensy-weensy hardware choice, they still barely managed to hit the mark. While I at least didn't have to drill the holes out any larger to get the cute li'l bolts in, I did have to struggle with the 3rd one due to Evo induced mis-alignment at both ends. On the bright side, the Evo hardware is so small that some of the hole for the nicely sized Honda bolt is peeking around the edge even after using the included Evo HO scale washers.

Oh, and despite skimping on the bolt size and quality in order to get a few more mm of play, they still managed to have the Honda hanger interfere with the Evo exhaust bracket. If the hanger doesn't sit flat against the bracket, then it won't go on the machine correctly. Good thing I have a grinder and some spare time, removing hunks of metal should be part of any install of a "quality" component!

Evo 2
Evo 3

Individually, none of these issues would really concern me other than the piss-poor, tiny, baby hardware Evo selected. But, taken in totality, these issues scream out "Run away! Run away!" as if we were in a Monty Python movie. For what this "Made in 'Merica" exhaust cost me, I would expect an offer of oral gratification, or at least a blow-up doll in the box. Instead I get fit and finish and engineering design choices on par with the worst of stuff made in China two decades ago. Sad.

On the bright side, the exhaust does look good and sounds better than stocker.

Evo exhaust

Last edited:
Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
WOW, what a pain. I would be extremely disappointed also. For what they want for those I would expect an OEM quality mount and better performance. Nice work getting it all repaired and I got a laugh out of the wording in your post!

Reactions: NTCPrezJB
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Buy stuff from a company that mainly build products for Polaris quality level vehicles, that's what you get, Polaris quality fit and finish.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I don't know if I will ever be able to swallow the price of a powersport exhaust.

I bought a 4" stainless steel turbo back exhaust system for my 22' long diesel truck that cost less than most slip ons.

If I decide to ditch the factory exhaust, I'll just build my own using a nice stainless magna flow truck muffler, which looks identical to what Evo or whoever is selling.

I will admit, they nailed the sound. It isn't too loud at all, but a much better note than stock.

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
interesting, i have NONE of those issue, the build quality on mine is top notch. and it fit perfect. like it was a factory part. i'm very happy with the EVO i received. you could always send it back and request a refund.

IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
This is a horror story, those with weak constitutions or any SJWs in the audience should leave the room now, I'll wait . . .

I first ordered my Evo exhaust through SxS Blog on Dec 15th. It took nearly 4 weeks to arrive, but with the holidays and the advertised 2 week lead time on exhaust orders, this wasn't a problem. The problems we did have were no shipping notification (I'm one of those dicks that likes to know in advance when hundreds of dollars in junk is gonna be left sitting on my porch), and the heat shield was black instead of the red I specified.

A quick email to Rick at SxS Blog and he sets the Evo wheels in motion to get the proper heat shield out to me. About a week or 10 days later, I now have the proper colored heat shield, unfortunately the whole passing along some tracking info thing escaped them. Yes, it's the right color, but it's for a different exhaust. This is starting to get old. This time I call Evo directly and ask if I could pretty-please get what I had ordered 7 or 8 weeks ago. It appears that I can, finally, and I start to install the exhaust after the third try.

View attachment 182828

Now, imagine a circle, now bash that circle against something like concrete until it is D shaped, then shove that fawked up POS into a box before anybody sees you. That is what I received. This damage had to occur before shipping as the box is in surprisingly good condition and the excellent foam packing used did it's job well, ensuring the dicked exhaust system arrived in 100% factory (damaged) fresh condition. The end of the exhaust mid-pipe joint, along with the included heavy duty clamp, could not slip over the pipe leading to the engine. It appears that Evo anticipated the exhaust pipe possibly getting damaged, for they taped the stout clamp over the end to make it that much harder for the shaved apes in the back of the warehouse to bend the crap out of it. But, they were up to the challenge, dug deep, and came through! Since it's a Saturday, and I don't feel like waiting another week and a half to get this 1 hour install completed, I turned to those fine purveyors of quality tools for decades, Harbor Freight. I picked up a $20 exhaust pipe expander and got the clamp and pipe back into something resembling round that would now slip over the other piece of pipe. In my irritation and desire to hopefully finish the install, I unfortunately failed to get a photo.

The Talon exhaust hangers are marvels of engineering, designed to last for decades or more. The hanger brackets are held onto the exhaust can with three 8mm dia bolts, sturdy bolts with a large head to carry the load. Nuts are welded to the Honda exhaust to attach these serious fasteners. The unfortunate Evo solution is to use low quality bolts roughly half that diameter in an attempt to increase their margin of error in matching the simple triangle bolt pattern. This wee hardware is merely threaded into the drilled & tapped sheet metal of the Evo exhaust bracket instead of nice solid nuts. Despite the increased play allowed by the teensy-weensy hardware choice, they still barely managed to hit the mark. While I at least didn't have to drill the holes out any larger to get the cute li'l bolts in, I did have to struggle with the 3rd one due to Evo induced mis-alignment at both ends. On the bright side, the Evo hardware is so small that some of the hole for the nicely sized Honda bolt is peeking around the edge even after using the included Evo HO scale washers.

Oh, and despite skimping on the bolt size and quality in order to get a few more mm of play, they still managed to have to Honda hanger interfere with the Evo exhaust bracket. If the hanger doesn't sit flat against the bracket, then it won't go on the machine correctly. Good thing I have a grinder and some spare time, removing hunks of metal should be part of any install of a "quality" component!

View attachment 182831View attachment 182832

Individually, none of these issues would really concern me other than the piss-poor, tiny, baby hardware Evo selected. But, taken in totality, these issues scream out "Run away! Run away!" as if we were in a Monty Python movie. For what this "Made in 'Merica" exhaust cost me, I would expect an offer of oral gratification, or at least a blow-up doll in the box. Instead I get fit and finish and engineering design choices on par with the worst of stuff made in China two decades ago. Sad.

On the bright side, the exhaust does look good and sounds better than stocker.

View attachment 182833
Yep took forever to get mine and they forgot the clamp, does sound good though.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
At work i buy thousands of dollars in parts every week. Even when i ask for shipping info , 75% of the time don't get it.

Amazon is all automated, that is why the info is nearly always correct. As much as i hate to say it, when a person is involved there is a chance for a mistake.

1HasBeen

Oct 20, 2019
Wickenburg, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I have sold and installed Evo stuff, and, fortunately, never had such QC issues. Communication issues aplenty, though. Jim and Todd are good people, but have a whole bunch(too many?)of irons in the fire. It's too bad you had to deal with all of that. And none of that addresses the SxS Blog guys who seemed to totally drop the ball. For all of their groveling in their videos they sure didn't make any effort to follow up, and assure your satisfaction. That sux.

Last edited:
F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
The SxS Blog guys did their part just fine as far as I can tell. They passed the order along and Evo drop shipped the wrong thing. SxS Rick answered my (sent during biz hrs) email within an hour as I recall, got with Evo, and again Evo sent the wrong thing. I didn't do a Freedom of Info act request to see if SxS initially told Evo black instead of red, but I doubt they did since that would require somehow changing the order form. The labels on the boxes show that Evo sent the wrong thing, such as calling the wrong red replacement a Honda one.

For those saying that build quality is top notch, this is how yours is built, also. The black crescents around each fastener is empty space that Honda intended to be filled with bolt. While Evo obviously has lowered their standards, perhaps up yours? :D I hope you guys used thread locker, please remember to go back and check frequently that they're still holding. Nice that install was easier for you than for me though.

Evo4

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
I don't have that extra gap around my bolt heads. looks like on the bottom right; that bolt head was stripped by the installer... The new bolt heads are smaller than the factory bolt heads, but the shaft size is the same (obviously). You could re-use the factory bolts if the gap bothers you. But wait, the factory bolts are also pieces of crap who's heads strip just looking at the sideways. Biggest problem I had was needing to grind off some of the factor bolt heads to get the darn stock exhaust OFF.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I don't have that extra gap around my bolt heads. looks like on the bottom right; that bolt head was stripped by the installer... The new bolt heads are smaller than the factory bolt heads, but the shaft size is the same (obviously). You could re-use the factory bolts if the gap bothers you. But wait, the factory bolts are also pieces of crap who's heads strip just looking at the sideways. Biggest problem I had was needing to grind off some of the factor bolt heads to get the darn stock exhaust OFF.

I have NOT been impressed with the hardware honda used. I've ruined more bolts my brand new talon than I have on the dozens of old Toyota's and suzukis I've worked on.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
I have NOT been impressed with the hardware honda used. I've ruined more bolts my brand new talon than I have on the dozens of old Toyota's and suzukis I've worked on.

socket head Allen bolts just piss me off all the way around.

i go through my machines swapping them out for torx or hex heads. (Or like KTM bolts both an internal torx and external hex)

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4

Agreed. It is a problem on the Pioneer 500 as well. I went to change the oil right before selling one of my P5's and stripped out half the bolts holding the seat bottom, trying to get them loose. Had to buy new bolts from the Honda shop just to get it back together to sell it. The bolts are not only soft, but surprisingly tight or bonded in many cases.

ThunderChicken

ThunderChicken

Sep 7, 2019
BATH
Ownership

1. Talon X
damn here I am all set up to go evo and then I see this. I've been torn between this set up or HMF. I love the look of the dual hmf pipes coming straight out but you have to do the full exhaust. the slip on set up is still mounted cross ways.

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
damn here I am all set up to go evo and then I see this. I've been torn between this set up or HMF. I love the look of the dual hmf pipes coming straight out but you have to do the full exhaust. the slip on set up is still mounted cross ways.
I'd buy the EVO again. I did not have any of the build quality issues posted here. My problem was with stock hardware. I have gotten compliments on the sound of the EVO every ride since installing it. Some exhausts require a tuner. This one does not. I wanted something that would be compatible with the turbo should I decide to install it later on. You can still get a tune from Alba racing that requires an exhaust without heavily modified header (Alba calls their exhaust NSL...not so loud). So getting the EVO does not preclude getting a good aftermarket tune if you want.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The SxS Blog guys did their part just fine as far as I can tell. They passed the order along and Evo drop shipped the wrong thing. SxS Rick answered my (sent during biz hrs) email within an hour as I recall, got with Evo, and again Evo sent the wrong thing. I didn't do a Freedom of Info act request to see if SxS initially told Evo black instead of red, but I doubt they did since that would require somehow changing the order form. The labels on the boxes show that Evo sent the wrong thing, such as calling the wrong red replacement a Honda one.

For those saying that build quality is top notch, this is how yours is built, also. The black crescents around each fastener is empty space that Honda intended to be filled with bolt. While Evo obviously has lowered their standards, perhaps up yours? :D I hope you guys used thread locker, please remember to go back and check frequently that they're still holding. Nice that install was easier for you than for me though.

View attachment 182892
Hope you get it all corrected to your satisfaction. FYI though - you can’t Freddom of information act a private business. That only is for government documents

• Haha

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!