P500 Experience with 28"TG knight tires on stock rims?

S

SunTracker

Jul 23, 2020
0gden, ut
Ownership

1. 500
I want to keep my 50" width and gain top end speed and ground clearance. The only 28x8x12's and 28x10x12's I find are the TG Tyre Guider Knight's at Chaparral. Any thoughts on tire clearance and stability?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I want to keep my 50" width and gain top end speed and ground clearance. The only 28x8x12's and 28x10x12's I find are the TG Tyre Guider Knight's at Chaparral. Any thoughts on tire clearance and stability?

28's and not spreading the stance is not recommended! It'll be a pucker fest.

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I would never go that tall without a wider stance but it’s your rig. As far as the tire goes I wouldn’t get hung up on finding a 28”, not all tires measure Exactly what they are advertised so you may actually find a 27” that’s just as tall as the 28” your looking for. Unless your always running flat ground I wouldn’t go taller than a 27” tire. My machine does okay with the 27x9 on all four corners but it definitely killed the power. I don’t think I could run the same trails with a true 28” tire.

Peter_72

Peter_72

Supporting Member
May 31, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
When I ride at ATV parks I run a 28x10x14 but my rims have a different offset from stock, its about 54 inches wide. It’s a little tricky on the top speed because it won’t reach the speed limiter (40 mph) with the 28’s but the gps shows it’s going 43 mph. The 28’s I run are very heavy, it handles them but not what I would want to trail ride or casually ride with. I’ve ran 27x9 on factory wheels before and it was okay but IMO the best size tire at 50 inches is 26” tires. I run 26x9x12 on factory wheels 99% of the time and I think it’s perfect! On the stock tires my p500 does 37mph on gps and 41 on the 26’s, it never lacks power and handles great

Last edited:
MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
After looking at a bunch of guy's recommendations I went with 26's on my stock wheels and I love them! I think the biggest thing is having the added sidewall and radial construction. The ride quality greatly improved, handling improved just all good. I cannot speak for a great ground clearance advantage, for the only time I drove it with the stock 24's on it was out in South Dakota in the mountains. All the trails were like gravel roads, so no clearance issues. I have done rock crawling at a local ORV park with it now that the 26's are on and I drug the belly over a few rocks, but did not get hung up.

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
After looking at a bunch of guy's recommendations I went with 26's on my stock wheels and I love them! I think the biggest thing is having the added sidewall and radial construction. The ride quality greatly improved, handling improved just all good. I cannot speak for a great ground clearance advantage, for the only time I drove it with the stock 24's on it was out in South Dakota in the mountains. All the trails were like gravel roads, so no clearance issues. I have done rock crawling at a local ORV park with it now that the 26's are on and I drug the belly over a few rocks, but did not get hung up.
Did you use any spacers?

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
No spacers. I wanted to keep mine stock width because in Michigan the ORV trail system is set up for 50" or less in width. I've rode 3 and 4 wheelers since I was 12, so the P500 was actually intended for my wife to come along on those trails with me and the kids on quads. She did not like the roll cage hitting trees on the banked corners every 5 minutes, so the P500 has ended up my chore vehicle at home and the adventure vehicle for my 5 year old and me up at our cabin.

My experience with the stock tires was when my friend, who I bought the machine off of, had it out to South Dakota on our ATV group's annual out-of-state ride. Another member's teen-age nieces were driving it, as well as a few of us took turns in it. I remember it being rather rough riding and the handling was sloppy. So after I bought it off him (he had to make way for a Talon) the first thing I did was buy the 26" Bearclaw HTR's. After installing them the first time I trail drove it there was a night-n-day difference in the ride and handling compared to what I experienced in South Dakota. I have not drove it "fast" and tried cornering it, so I do not feel it is "tippy" at all with the stock wheels and taller tires. I think sticking with the 11" wide rears helps this.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
No spacers. I wanted to keep mine stock width because in Michigan the ORV trail system is set up for 50" or less in width. I've rode 3 and 4 wheelers since I was 12, so the P500 was actually intended for my wife to come along on those trails with me and the kids on quads. She did not like the roll cage hitting trees on the banked corners every 5 minutes, so the P500 has ended up my chore vehicle at home and the adventure vehicle for my 5 year old and me up at our cabin.

My experience with the stock tires was when my friend, who I bought the machine off of, had it out to South Dakota on our ATV group's annual out-of-state ride. Another member's teen-age nieces were driving it, as well as a few of us took turns in it. I remember it being rather rough riding and the handling was sloppy. So after I bought it off him (he had to make way for a Talon) the first thing I did was buy the 26" Bearclaw HTR's. After installing them the first time I trail drove it there was a night-n-day difference in the ride and handling compared to what I experienced in South Dakota. I have not drove it "fast" and tried cornering it, so I do not feel it is "tippy" at all with the stock wheels and taller tires. I think sticking with the 11" wide rears helps this.

You're probably slightly over 50" with the taller tires already. I'm at 55" and ride the quad trails, still squeak through the gates. Haven't seen any trail nazi's out on the trails yet. It's not so much about the cornering as it is ruts, that's when the pucker factor kicks in. My advice would be to stay out of the rough stuff with that set up or you'll be on your side before long. FWIW

Reactions: crewcabrob
Peter_72

Peter_72

Supporting Member
May 31, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
I wish 55” would fit through the gates near home, I would be running spacers for sure! The place we do the most riding has gates that I rub going through at 50 inches

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah, I'm sure with the tread-lugs on these tires that mine is over 50". But it does fit the ORV trails nicely still. I've not run it hard on the ORV trails to experience the rocks and roots that normally rip the handle bars out of your hands on a quad. The majority of it's use up north has been just 2-tracks with the boy. We have several small lakes on the state land north and west of our cabin, so he gets a big thrill out of riding through the woods to a lake. Maybe next year we will pack fishing gear and see if we can land some.

I have hit some badly rutted stuff and the P500 does start swapping side-to-side pretty good, so I am debating on trying the rear sway-bar disconnect to see if that improves that.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
I can recommend the anti sway bar disconnect, for sure. Makes it a better machine. The only downside that I can see is that it makes the machine more likely to tip over during a speedy turn, which isn't an issue for most. Rode mine about 200 miles from new, then took it off. Way better!

Last edited:
S

SunTracker

Jul 23, 2020
0gden, ut
Ownership

1. 500
I ended up going with 27x8x12's on the front and 27x10x12's on the rear using the stock rims and they are great. I gained a couple of inches of clearance and I have yet to rub a rock where I was hitting them all the time with the factory 24" tires. I gained some top end speed and no noticeable power loss on the bottom end. Best of all, I have retained my 50" width, which proved valuable last week when we rode the most beautiful 50" trail ever, on the Piute system in central Utah. My tires rubbed the the entrance and exit poles as we passed through, and any wider spread would not have made it through. As far as tipping goes, I been on several steep side angle trails with no problems.

1border4manu

1border4manu

Supporting Member
Jul 4, 2019
Zephyrhills, Florida
Ownership

1. 500
I ended up going with 27x8x12's on the front and 27x10x12's on the rear using the stock rims and they are great. I gained a couple of inches of clearance and I have yet to rub a rock where I was hitting them all the time with the factory 24" tires. I gained some top end speed and no noticeable power loss on the bottom end. Best of all, I have retained my 50" width, which proved valuable last week when we rode the most beautiful 50" trail ever, on the Piute system in central Utah. My tires rubbed the the entrance and exit poles as we passed through, and any wider spread would not have made it through. As far as tipping goes, I been on several steep side angle trails with no problems.
Thanks for the information, welcome from Central Florida.

Reactions: crewcabrob and Snek
G

Gunsite Guy

Apr 19, 2021
Trinidad, Co
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
Thanks for the info. Would you please share the tire brand/style. Loved the Piute Trail and camping I'm Marysville.

s/f Steve

Reactions: crewcabrob
W

Woundedtatonka

Mar 11, 2021
Dallas, Ga
Ownership

1. 700-4
What Brand tires did you end up going with?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!