BOX1

Factory Glass Windshield

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
Asking guys with the FACTORY Honda glass windshield. How bad is heat and dust in cab with it? (assuming you have rear window). I have been running poly ones, and hard to clean Quickly without scratching (yes can clean well if stop and do it right, but hard to do with a group). I like the more visibility of the factory one over the vented ones that have all that frame, that is why asking about Factory one. I have Talon R

Iowamike

Iowamike

May 31, 2020
Dubuque Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon X
I run a factory glass windshield with a motoroof rear screen. It's a little warm but not unbearable, I live in Iowa. The reasons for glass is also the ease of cleaning. We had a split windshield in our pioneer but both of us being under 5'7" we were looking through the split when off road. The full glass fixed both our problems. A little extra heat was a good trade off.

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
again, not as worried about the heat (but know what you mean) as the dust. On last trip last week, the inside of windshield had unreasonable amounts of dust no matter how I cleaned it. Was like a magnet. The dust we were in was horrible (soft powder stuff) plus a lot of cars.

Iowamike

Iowamike

May 31, 2020
Dubuque Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon X
again, not as worried about the heat (but know what you mean) as the dust. On last trip last week, the inside of windshield had unreasonable amounts of dust no matter how I cleaned it. Was like a magnet. The dust we were in was horrible (soft powder stuff) plus a lot of cars.

I think the dust sticks to the plastic much more than glass, not sure if it's static or what . I don't ride in the same conditions you do. We are usually alone but sometimes on the gravel roads the fast moving vehicles really blast you with dust. I keep a spray bottle of window cleaner and a squeegee in the machine. Rain- X is your friend.

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
Being from Iowa too, It was like a gravel road that the rock is worn out to powder and you are following a pickup and meeting one at same time LOL. There were even "Silt Pockets" which I had never seen before (it was Utah). That crap stays in air from last guy like you were right on top of him. I would hate to hit one of the after a rain, woudl be like glue

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I really wanted the factory glass unit but without vents I just could not pull the trigger. I bought the UTV801.com windshield with lower vents and VERY glad that I did and I will never go back to a Poly windshield again!

I can control the air movements and the cab heat is probably 15 degrees less on hot days with the vents open. If I get behind someone in a dusty area, I can just temporarily close them until I get hot.

Dust build up on glass is minimal and you can wipe it off without fear of scratching the glass. If so desired, you can also run a wiper too and not have scratching issues.

Viewing area slightly less that the factory one. Build and finish is very good, fit is good but the lower hardware is cheap. It works but you need to be careful. I ended up replacing it on mine after taking the windshield off a couple times...

Reactions: Iowamike
Iowamike

Iowamike

May 31, 2020
Dubuque Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon X
Being from Iowa too, It was like a gravel road that the rock is worn out to powder and you are following a pickup and meeting one at same time LOL. There were even "Silt Pockets" which I had never seen before (it was Utah). That crap stays in air from last guy like you were right on top of him. I would hate to hit one of the after a rain, woudl be like glue

Wow that is bad, that fine stuff is bad. One thing I did on my Pioneer I had was put a roof vent in it. I used a one for the side of a cargo trailer. That kept positive pressure in the cab, the only caveat was following someone you were still getting dust though it. I did help some. I see some guys using spoilers, not sure if that would help your situation.

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
paul, not being tall, I am worried about loosing vision with the 801 windshield. Do you think it I routed so 1" x 3" slots in the 1st 5" of the front of the roof with a sliding close off for rain or when following too close, it would create the positive pressure needed in the cab. I also considered maybe some type of up and down 6" wing on each side up high that would force air in but not block vision. They would have to be easily removed so if in rain, would not drown you LOL

is there a gap at top between front roll bar and roof with either the factory or the 801 windshield installed? That might help with pressure too???

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
The bottom window frame is lower than the seam break in your flip up. It is even with the upper roll cage bolts. Put a piece of cardboard across at that level and see if it bothers you.

The 801 does cut off a little on each side. It bothered be for about 15 minutes and then I got used to it and I no longer notice it.

Slots in the roof are probably pointless, air will just go right over them. There is a gap (quite a large one with the factory roof) under the roof lip. I don't have that roof anymore but I seem to remember a little air coming through there.

Factory windshield with some added side deflectors might be the ticket for you. See this thread for example...

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
thanks Paul, I gave up on the Flip Up one a while back because of distortion and fabbed up brackets to use the Yamaha YXZ full poly that can be flip up on roof.I mounted it with a couple inches of clearance at the bottom to allow air to flow thru all the time. It has no distortion or blind spots at all. I had done some alone riding to test and had seen very little dust and really thought i had it. I just complete a 3 day 430 mile ride down by Tropic Utah with 19 cars. The dust was terrible even with huge spacing and the only thing that saved me was being able to flip the whole thing up on the roof. We drove far enough between breaks that even the guys with glass had to do quick rub offs. Can't just rub the poly or will ruin it. i think the poly has more static no matter what you clean it with.

when convenient could you measure from hood to glass opening so i can try the cardboard to simulate it. I am not worried about the sides as much as the lower corners when in tight stuff.

Thanks for any help

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Welcome to Utah, 2nd driest state in the nation.

The contour on the cowling makes it impossible to get any type of accurate measurement so...

The top of the windshield frame (bottom of viewable windshield area) is even with the upper roll cage bolt. Like this...

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
thanks Paul, They sent me a bunch of picture from inside & I just bit the bullet and ordered 801. Nothing is going to be perfect. The factory one has no vents and where factory puts wiper, I already have stuff mounted under hood. Not sure need wiper anyway.

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
It's a good choice, the 801 vents work well without blocking lower vision of the trail. The driver's A pillar has a comparatively large-ish blind spot that you shoud adjust to easily enough, and my sideview mirrors and A pillar mounted lights add to that blindspot. And yeah, that Utah sandstone dust is horrible, but the mud ain't bad as there's usually a solid bottom.

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
This is what I did to keep the dust on the outside.

D

dstuckmann

Jan 21, 2022
Newton, WI
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. Talon X4 LV
The Honda glass windshild looks great but as others have pointed out, the price is high and adding $568 for a wiper is holding me back from buying the combo. Are there other wiper options for the Honda glass?

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!