Multi Keep the dirt out: Aegis Air Spoiler Review

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
IMG 7763

If you install a front windshield, you will probably notice dust coming in from behind and around the vehicle. I have found the inside of my windshield dirtier than the outside. It was bad when I had my Polaris 1000RZR; even worse with my Honda Talon. Some people combat this by installing rear windows or screens. You may want those for reasons other than dust control, but if you don't, there is a solution.

I wish I had heard of Aegis Air Spoiler when I had my RZR. When searching for a solution for my Talon, I contacted Dustin at Aegis and though they had never installed one on a Honda Talon, he assured me it would fit. The Talon has a very complex series of angles with the rear roll bars bending down and angling inboard. Due to Dustin's ingenious design, the universal horizontal mount works perfectly and with infinite adjustments allowing me to mount it not blocking my chase lights with the additional obstacles of my Rotopax gas can, Rugged fresh air pump and KWT prefilter all taking up space.

Performance: it works great! Aegis recommends 30-40 degrees angle, with 3"- 4" of height above the roof. The Honda roof peaks in the middle and due to my mounting issues I ended up 5" - 6" above the roof.

Testing: 40 degrees works best for the Talon. Anything less and you start getting dust.

It occasionally hits branches and cactus. I try to avoid them but it happens. The air foil is very sturdy. A couple of hits have tilted it up 90 degrees. No damage occurred and I have taken to not over tightening to allow for hard hits.

Video: at 40 degrees you will notice the dust stays low to the ground with almost none coming in to the rear.

At 30 degrees you might see occasional bursts of dust from the rear, I could feel them on my face and in my eyes. The dust rises higher from the road.

No air spoiler, windshield closed. The dust rises higher, about every 3-4 seconds a burst of dust comes in from the rear and elsewhere.

No air spoiler, windshield open. The dust rises higher, about every 10 seconds I get a burst of dust.

The dust behind the Talon with the Air Spoiler stays low to the ground, parallel for at least 60 feet windshield open or closed. Worth the money.

Cons: the installation instructions and photos could be better, you definitely need a friend (friend with some experience installing things a plus)

-Installation video doesn't show how to install it. They need a video of actual installation.
-Not inexpensive at $495, but how much did you pay for the windshield?

Pros: it works! Worth every penny. Don't need rear window or screen. Even if you have rear windows, how about your gear in the back?

- it works on all SXS's

46″ Aegis Air Spoiler with Universal Mounting System – Aegis Air Spoiler

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have the Honda full glass windshield, and my best quick, heat solution in hot weather is to remove the doors which is very easy to do. Taking off the doors really helps a lot, and I did put an insulation layer under the seat with modest benefit. With the Honda rear cab on the P3, I have not found a solution for dust (haven't read all the above posts either).

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have the Honda full glass windshield, and my best quick, heat solution in hot weather is to remove the doors which is very easy to do. Taking off the doors really helps a lot, and I did put an insulation layer under the seat with modest benefit. With the Honda rear cab on the P3, I have not found a solution for dust (haven't read all the above posts either).
Apparently I didn't look very close at door removal, do the door skins have to be removed to do that? Or can it be done with the doors fully assembled? 🤔 I was debating on whether or not to reinstall door lowers on my next Talon because of cab heat but don't want to see how muddy I can get either.

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Apparently I didn't look very close at door removal, do the door skins have to be removed to do that? Or can it be done with the doors fully assembled? 🤔 I was debating on whether or not to reinstall door lowers on my next Talon because of cab heat but don't want to see how muddy I can get either.
The doors are removed fully assembled. I think there are four bolts holding each door and it is very easy to do. The best part about it is that when I reinstall mine there is never an alignment issue. I thought that I might have to tweak the alignment, but they go back on perfectly. Both doors can be removed or reinstalled in a few minutes with no complexity at all (I do have a P1000-3). Removing the doors makes a huge difference in the heat.

Reactions: CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The doors are removed fully assembled. I think there are four bolts holding each door and it is very easy to do. The best part about it is that when I reinstall mine there is never an alignment issue. I thought that I might have to tweak the alignment, but they go back on perfectly. Both doors can be removed or reinstalled in a few minutes with no complexity at all (I do have a P1000-3). Removing the doors makes a huge difference in the heat.
Oops, I shoulda looked at your ride. ☺ Same question to the Talon owners - can the doors be removed without removing the door skins? The skins are fastened by sheet metal screws into plastic posts in the skin, it won't take long to strip those threads :oops: so it's not something I want to do any more than necessary, certainly not for the seasonal weather changes.

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Here is the short version, then I would suggest watching the video. The Aegis air spoiler keeps the dirt from billowing in the back and side due to the air flow with a full windshield. The best is setting it at 40 degrees. It works great. No longer is my windshield dirtier on the inside than the outside. It works on any side x side. The mount is ingenious.

Read the full review above for more.

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Oops, I shoulda looked at your ride. ☺ Same question to the Talon owners - can the doors be removed without removing the door skins? The skins are fastened by sheet metal screws into plastic posts in the skin, it won't take long to strip those threads :oops: so it's not something I want to do any more than necessary, certainly not for the seasonal weather changes.
Just to clarify my previous post, I unbolt my doors (P1000) from the frame and not on the door side. When I remove the bolts it looks like they are going into the plastic, but there is metal behind those holes as you can see. It feels and looks like it is very solid if you examine it. I have never even thought about removing the hinges from the doors themselves. Your Talon may be different, but I'd be a little surprised. Good luck.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Just to clarify my previous post, I unbolt my doors (P1000) from the frame and not on the door side. When I remove the bolts it looks like they are going into the plastic, but there is metal behind those holes as you can see. It feels and looks like it is very solid if you examine it. I have never even thought about removing the hinges from the doors themselves. Your Talon may be different, but I'd be a little surprised. Good luck.
Thanks, I'll have a closer look when it gets home from the shop.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!