Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
B83B2F92 E740 4102 97E1 18203B29D73E
34D9F1A3 1A0C 411C BF05 17619270A316
So my truck finally got the topper put on I ordered. Need couple more weeks to finish the inside into a camper style. Still have to mount both my 12k Warn winches front and back and lights everywhere and anywhere. As I get older I think I am getting night blindness I can’t see anything!

I did a 6” suspension lift with Mickey Thompson 35’s and tons of other things.

I am starting to ponder if I should bother with a winch mount. Savings are a ton of money and i’ve laid in bed many nights wondering if there is any difference between doing it in reverse, and I have yet to come up with one why it cannot be done.

To say, strap the winch to a tree and cable out to the truck and pull it out. It also allows me many more options for positions. Have a ton of recovery gear. 350’ extra cable / straps. Pull-Pal, 2 Arb Air Bags ( never tried yet ) and jacks galore.

Thinking I will never get stuck to begin with it’s too major of an investment getting a winch bumper / mount so I will probably go portable.

The single axle trailer has already been done with the Pioneer 1000 and yes, the 100 gallon transfer tank STILL mounted on the front frame in front of the trailer, by the yoke.

Theory is the truck (1500 tongue pound capacity) will share the load of that extra weight with the trailer freeing up some capacity so can load more on it.

Honda still in shop but due back any day now...all fixed up and ready to go! Looking forward to taking off and exploring our nation.

Both truck and Honda will definitely be put thru the paces no doubt and we will see what they are both capable of!!!!

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 170494 View attachment 170493 So my truck finally got the topper put on I ordered. Need couple more weeks to finish the inside into a camper style. Still have to mount both my 12k Warn winches front and back and lights everywhere and anywhere. As I get older I think I am getting night blindness I can’t see anything!

I am starting to ponder if I should bother with a winch mount. Savings are a ton of money and i’ve laid in bed many nights wondering if there is any difference between doing it in reverse, and I have yet to come up with one why it cannot be done.

To say, strap the winch to a tree and cable out to the truck and pull it out. It also allows me many more options for positions. Have a ton of recovery gear. 350’ extra cable / straps. Pull-Pal, 2 Arb Air Bags ( never tried yet ) and jacks galore.

Thinking I will never get stuck to begin with it’s too major of an investment getting a winch bumper / mount so I will probably go portable.

The single axle trailer has already been done with the Pioneer 1000 and yes, the 100 gallon transfer tank STILL mounted on the front frame in front of the trailer, by the yoke.

Theory is the truck (1500 tongue pound capacity) will share the load of that extra weight with the trailer freeing up some capacity so can load more on it.

Honda still in shop but due back any day now...all fixed up and ready to go! Looking forward to taking off and exploring our nation.

Both truck and Honda will definitely be put thru the paces no doubt and we will see what they are both capable of!!!!
Going to be an epic journey!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
View attachment 170494 View attachment 170493 So my truck finally got the topper put on I ordered. Need couple more weeks to finish the inside into a camper style. Still have to mount both my 12k Warn winches front and back and lights everywhere and anywhere. As I get older I think I am getting night blindness I can’t see anything!

Nice set up! I'm still a little uncertain about the single axel trailer and all that weight not on the axel of the trailer????

Reactions: sharp and JTW
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Nice set up! I'm still a little uncertain about the single axel trailer and all that weight not on the axel of the trailer????

I guess ultimately we will see! One thing is for sure, I won’t have any fish tailing!!! LOL. It will be fine. Not much can happen really. Even WITH the tank and Honda, I’m still under total capacity.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I guess ultimately we will see! One thing is for sure, I won’t have any fish tailing!!! LOL. It will be fine. Not much can happen really. Even WITH the tank and Honda, I’m still under total capacity.
Looks like your P/U is a 2500, you have plenty of capacity and will be fine.

JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
There are people that post's their routes on a daily basis so that people who follow, may be in the neighborhood and can provide needed assistance.

Reactions: Plumber32
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
3A0BD7D0 005D 4927 945E 02B33DF969A9
0F981AD9 A62A 4F6A A821 35F2E3B8B632
6F28AA01 F36A 4DE5 8BE6 B99BF73202C2
D5C6148C 1633 4DFD A730 6D2D58C0180C
12D59AFE E3D9 49F5 A5B6 D6F0060AFA7E
72D6BB9D 1ED0 42B5 B0F8 A641DB61EA9C
56DBBC46 2195 440A 8CF4 6C4E4D5103C2
CEC754BD 041C 4384 B373 0876EFDE341F
A lot of excellent replies. Yes it’s a 2500. In my opinion one of the best trucks ever made! Yes it’s 4x4.

Married and bringing our son LuLu. He’s only 10 pounds and small so he only takes up room in my lap while driving :)

I was thinking about doing a blog, but, ya know how that’s goes... maybe i could get some followers and donations and such for the trip. Problem is that’s just not my style.

Others who are living on the road do that and they call it “supporting the site” but I call it begging for money LMAO. That’s what it feels like to me and it goes against who I am as a person.

However, that said, I pretty much spent all my money on getting ready FOR the trip, so don’t have a heck of a lot left ON the trip lol!

I have been researching this for a couple years as it’s always been my dream to just chunk it all, take off and live off grid and / or on the road. A lot of research into places to go where you can camp for free, BLM land, off grid living and survival, blah blah blah.

Since I’m a 35 year master repair plumber, I guess I could look into sites where I could do plumbing jobs and support myself along the way???

Truth is even after all my research I still don’t have a damn clue what I’m doing or where I’m going and I guess that’s half the fun of it is to just take off with no direction!!!

Even though the bank account is pretty much tapped out I still have a crap load of stuff I've accumulated over the last 30 years that have a lot of high dollar value, but the same items that have the most value is also what I don’t want to part with!!!!

Examples are a pair of like new Honda 2000 gens which I’m 50-50 on bringing, but that could snatch up a quick $1500!

Selling off a LOT of my guns because you can only bring so many... even after I’ll have enough artillery to fend off 10 people for 10 days LOL!

My biggest dilemma is my Night Vision stuff. I have Mod-3 Goggles with dual Gen 3 Pinnacle tubes and an IR Patrol Thermal Imager. There is quite a bit of demand for that stuff and I could pick up a quick $10,000 for both overnight.

Conversely when you’re in the middle of nowhere 100 miles from the nearest road living remote and off grid, I can’t think of any other items that would make me feel more safe and give me an edge like having it!!! Never know when you’re going to run into the middle of a drug deal in New Mexico. Plus a blog gives away your location which I’m not excited about doing as well...

Yes, this is NOT a road trip to explore our nations national parks. This is going to be places that are extremely remote, the middle of nowhere, where I can go weeks without seeing another person. So being prepared and having everything goes without saying and man oh man do I have everything!

So I probably won’t do a blog but I will update every couple of months just to let everyone know how the equipment is working out. I have a similar post in the truck forums and here for the Honda.

I always lay in bed opposite watching TV and he sits the EXACT same way with his 3-year-old mate that stinks to high heavens!!!! He gets separation anxiety and whenever we leave him and will wait patiently in the same spot until our return. He also thinks he’s a bad ass as well and my biggest fear is he will charge a grizzly thinking he is something or another and get swallowed WHOLE!!!

That’s me clean and cut when I was being a service man and the other making a funny picture for my daughter emulating Indiana Jones! I think there’s a close resemblance... LMAO

advertisement
J

JTW

So your wife isn’t going? You’re going to be separated for 2 years??

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So your wife isn’t going? You’re going to be separated for 2 years??

No, she’s going??? I just assumed the “yes I am married” implied that. But if you know a couple 25 year old blondes, I would consider not bringing her.. But my wife still looks hot for 55 years old! So the blondes better be top notch!!!

Reactions: TripleB and JTW
Chevy412SP

Chevy412SP

Aug 30, 2018
Western New York
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like an epic adventure. Big time jealous, would love to do something like that. Have a great time and keep us posted on the adventure!

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sounds like an epic adventure. Big time jealous, would love to do something like that. Have a great time and keep us posted on the adventure!

Thanks! To Plumber32 as well! I sure hope so.. I’d
be lying if I didn’t say I was a bit apprehensive also. As many epic adventures that “can” come out of this, some real bad ones can accompany it too! I have a tendency to push it sometimes so I am going to need to learn to be more patient, careful and calculated in my decisions. Where I’m going doesn’t leave much room for error.

That’s the main, if not only reason, I’m dragging the Honda around so it can be a back up form of transportation to get me out of the deepest, roughest terrain imaginable and back to civilization in need be in an emergency! Can’t think of a better vehicle.

Of course, watching all the missing 411 videos doesn’t help to calm me down any lol. Thank God I don’t subscribe to any of the “Bigfoot / opening portals” theories :)

Reactions: Koda and Chevy412SP

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!