Firetruck offroad lights

T

thatguy2

Aug 18, 2023
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Back out today. 100 degrees. 30 acres of grass and 10 more bales. Top of my bald head is sunburned. Truck I was in the AC only works if you are moving. It was recharged 2 weeks ago as we did them all before hot weather. Any ideas?

Another truck had no working ac and it was also freshly recharged.

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Back out today. 100 degrees. 30 acres of grass and 10 more bales. Top of my bald head is sunburned. Truck I was in the AC only works if you are moving. It was recharged 2 weeks ago as we did them all before hot weather. Any ideas?

Another truck had no working ac and it was also freshly recharged.
sounds like condenser cooling issue.

Reactions: Buggyman and TxDoc
T

thatguy2

Aug 18, 2023
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
I rinsed out the condenser after we had another call Monday evening. Mechanic looked at it afterwards. It was still fully charged and he couldn't replicated the issue on the 02 F-350. I am guessing me cleaning the condenser really helped. Looking at the fins alot are bent and it looks like someone tried to run a stick through it at one time. For a truck that spends a ton of time off road I guess that is to be expected.
I think something is blocking the fan in the 98 Chevy. We need to take the lower dash off to get it.
2000 Ford with have a new dryer. It will blow cold while you are sitting, then blows hot while you are moving.
1 tender isn't equipped with AC. The other doesn't have functional AC. Thank god for wing windows when moving. Sucks when parked.

We need to replace trucks, but I don't know how to get it done with today's prices. There are also some new OSHA proposals that could bankrupt alot of small departments. The days of selling bbq chicken, and raffles to fund your department are over.

T

thatguy2

Aug 18, 2023
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Both pumpers are down. One can't go anywhere. The other just gets hot while pumping and can't pull a draft as the priming pump is down. Board meeting Wednesday will be fun.

T

thatguy2

Aug 18, 2023
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Board meeting went better than I expected. They did not even bat an eye at the repairs to the engines. One needs a new fan or fan clutch, has a bad injector, and the priming pump doesn't work. The other gets hot unless the engine cooling line from the pump is open, has something wrong with the primer (solenoid will be here Monday for me to try) and it has something going on in the back end so that the brake lights don't work except when you hit a bump sometimes. I have traced grounds, etc and can't find the issue.

I brought up trying to upgrade brush trucks and running brush/first responder trucks to save on maintenance and insurance. They shut me down immediately. Something like this would be awesome as a brush truck. And extended cab version would work as a medical response truck. https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/6395e51e-b634-4fe2-a8f7-e8446e49dd94/

T

thatguy2

Aug 18, 2023
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Not looking good for our truck grant. It was only a 2% chance anyway, unless apparently you are from Alabama. Since 2015 if you add KS (8), OK (11), MO (28), NE (8), IA (28) and CO (13) they still don't come anywhere close to Alabama's 172 vehicle awards. I have actually called my senator on this and they said I was not the first person to call about it. They are looking into it.

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not looking good for our truck grant. It was only a 2% chance anyway, unless apparently you are from Alabama. Since 2015 if you add KS (8), OK (11), MO (28), NE (8), IA (28) and CO (13) they still don't come anywhere close to Alabama's 172 vehicle awards. I have actually called my senator on this and they said I was not the first person to call about it. They are looking into it.
Keep swingin!