P500 First Full Day Impressions

NPN

NPN

Mar 30, 2017
Manitoba
Ownership

1. 500
In a previous thread I was very concerned about the rough ride on my bad back. Having lowered the tire pressure and removing the stabilizer and adding a 200 pound passenger has made a huge difference. Even with a bad disc issue, I am no worse for wear after a good day of all sort of riding. Put about 35 miles on yesterday and this quirky little buggy really grows on you! Being a 2017, I was able to both manually and automatically shift. The auto shift is excellent and I used it more than expected even though I don't mind shifting.
For those considering a P500:
-plenty fast enough for an all purpose machine.
-SuperATV full flip windshield is expensive (especially in Canada!) but excellent. Took me about an hour and half to install. On the first ride we tortured the new windshield with branches and twigs. No scratches. Not all plexiglass is the same.
-SXS's are WAY dustier than Atv's. Especially with the windshield completedly closed. After 5 hours, I was black with road dust. Not that I was trying to stay clean but didn't expect that level of rear dirt migration. Better with the windshield open all the way but at 70 F, it was more comfortable with it just notched open. Perhaps a spoiler on the top rear roll bar would help?
-Part of my logic for a Honda was for the typically quieter gear box rather than a belt drive. The rear diff howls way more than any ATV I've owned but with only 100 miles, maybe it will quiet down. Or perhaps synthetic gear lube will help. It just doesn't sound Honda smooth and quiet like my 500 Foreman.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
In a previous thread I was very concerned about the rough ride on my bad back. Having lowered the tire pressure and removing the stabilizer and adding a 200 pound passenger has made a huge difference. Even with a bad disc issue, I am no worse for wear after a good day of all sort of riding. Put about 35 miles on yesterday and this quirky little buggy really grows on you! Being a 2017, I was able to both manually and automatically shift. The auto shift is excellent and I used it more than expected even though I don't mind shifting.
For those considering a P500:
-plenty fast enough for an all purpose machine.
-SuperATV full flip windshield is expensive (especially in Canada!) but excellent. Took me about an hour and half to install. On the first ride we tortured the new windshield with branches and twigs. No scratches. Not all plexiglass is the same.
-SXS's are WAY dustier than Atv's. Especially with the windshield completedly closed. After 5 hours, I was black with road dust. Not that I was trying to stay clean but didn't expect that level of rear dirt migration. Better with the windshield open all the way but at 70 F, it was more comfortable with it just notched open. Perhaps a spoiler on the top rear roll bar would help?
-Part of my logic for a Honda was for the typically quieter gear box rather than a belt drive. The rear diff howls way more than any ATV I've owned but with only 100 miles, maybe it will quiet down. Or perhaps synthetic gear lube will help. It just doesn't sound Honda smooth and quiet like my 500 Foreman.

Not yet, it'll quiet down after a while. Switching to synthetic in the diffs helped. Disconnected my anti sway bar a couple weeks ago and couldn't believe how soft the ass end felt afterwards. Had to crank the rear shocks up one notch after that. Having something behind you, rear panel, big toolbox, cuts down on that dust problem a bit. Sounds like you've decided to keep it huh?

R

Rustell

A rear panel will cut down a lot of that dust.. A lot of us have put insulation under and behind the seats. This will cut down on the heat from the engine and block that dust..

NPN

NPN

Mar 30, 2017
Manitoba
Ownership

1. 500
Not yet, it'll quiet down after a while. Switching to synthetic in the diffs helped. Disconnected my anti sway bar a couple weeks ago and couldn't believe how soft the ass end felt afterwards. Had to crank the rear shocks up one notch after that. Having something behind you, rear panel, big toolbox, cuts down on that dust problem a bit. Sounds like you've decided to keep it huh?
Yup, definitely a keeper.

Reactions: trigger

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!