P500 First group ride. Didn't like it...

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, this is me, lol...

View attachment 135804

I have resisted going out on group rides for years; even riding with one other machine doesn't appeal to me for several reasons.

But, my girlfriend's dad invited me out with him and a couple of other people yesterday, so I gave in and went.

We spent 5 hours in the woods and covered 37 miles. Stopped for lunch and breaks for a total of an hour, so that's 4 hours of riding to cover 32 miles of Idaho backcountry. That means, we averaged 9.25 mph.

Doesn't seem like it, but it was too much ground to cover in too little time.

The other people were great. No showing off or peer pressure to try an obstacle you weren't comfortable with, lots of joking and laughing and people having a good time.

It's just that their idea of a good time riding is to cover as much trail as possible. They liked the actual riding more than the experience of the surroundings.

I like riding and overcoming obstacles as well, but I go into the woods to experience the woods. We whizzed by several muddy watering holes with lots of interesting tracks I wanted to look at. Went by a stump that a bear had just got done rubbing off his winter fur coat on. Would approach a view with thousands of acres of clear-cut areas where elk and bear like to hang out in and we would just power on by without stopping to look for wildlife. Possibly still some Morel mushrooms that high up, but never stopped at likely growing areas.

Just different priorities, I guess...

Which is why I didn't like it. Having the company was great. Having an extra couple of machines for support was great. Talking and joking with people on breaks was great.

Just seemed more like a mission than a recreational pursuit.

Anyway, here's the obligatory pics...

View attachment 135798

View attachment 135799

View attachment 135800

View attachment 135802

I have a small group of people I like to ride with. Even within that group if there are certain riders that come I no longer wish to go. I am very confident my wife and I ride an average of half of what you posted. Our favorite thing is seeing everything. We do take comfort in group rides for safety purpose. Safety is our priority. If we don't have other machines there are alot of things we skip.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Depends on the ride. If it's just the boys, then balls out and let it rip. (Nomo 🐝🐝🐝) If the wife comes along then it's a different mentality. Regardless, I like to ride with a group that's watching out for others in the pack. I keep my eyes on the riders behind me in case they get into trouble.
Did a group ride at Drummond Island, which is a pretty rough trail system, @Remington was there. One of the couples in our group brought their daughter and SIL with them, driving their newly purchased sxs. They were behind me and then suddenly disappeared. I stopped, couldn't turn around and started walking back to find them. They apparently took a side trail that eventually met up with the main trail but no one knew they had taken it. They had to be schooled on group ride etiquette. When someone goes missing the ride comes to a grinding halt.

GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
agreed @trigger.

I've been in big groups of 15 or more machines to only two. When you want to cover alot of ground 80-110 miles in a day the less machines in the group the better. Ideally 3-8 machines is ideal! When we go, we like to go with people that don't destroy their machines, keep up with their maintenance and do what they can to avoid machine failures trailside because it hurts it for everyone else. I mean flats happen, axles snap, tierods bend, SH!T happens but we are there to ride, not repair trailside if that makes sense!!!

Last edited:
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
The wife and I only get to ride by ourselves. We have to trailer at least 4 hours to go ride any public land with trails.

When we do ride, we travel at a pretty slow pace. We would love to have some comradery of a group ride, but it would have to be with like minded people with a smaller, slower machine like the P500/520.

I don't mind covering ground at speed if there is not a lot to look at or see, but once we hit the trails, I want to see the hidden treasures that might be our there.

Rob

R

RedorDead

Jan 3, 2023
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Usually we ride alone, but I’m not averse to group rides, sometimes fast, sometimes slow with lots of stops. All depends on the context.

One thing I won’t do is ride in a dust cloud. If it’s dusty, don’t look in the mirror and stop every time I’m out of sight. Because that will be often. Comms are good, and if it’s really bad I’ll say “we’ll meet again at location X”. Chase lights definitely not needed.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
If it’s dusty, don’t look in the mirror and stop every time I’m out of sight
I accommodate for that. I'll stop and wait until they come back into sight and then continue on. But if they don't appear in a couple minutes I'll be circling back. These were rough trails, lots of water and rocks. I smashed my bash plate on one in the middle of a water hole. Thank God for seatbelts or we would've went through the windshield. If someone goes on their side in one of those, time is of the essence. For the sake of the riders and the machine.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Depends on the ride. If it's just the boys, then balls out and let it rip. (Nomo 🐝🐝🐝) If the wife comes along then it's a different mentality. Regardless, I like to ride with a group that's watching out for others in the pack. I keep my eyes on the riders behind me in case they get into trouble.
Did a group ride at Drummond Island, which is a pretty rough trail system, @Remington was there. One of the couples in our group brought their daughter and SIL with them, driving their newly purchased sxs. They were behind me and then suddenly disappeared. I stopped, couldn't turn around and started walking back to find them. They apparently took a side trail that eventually met up with the main trail but no one knew they had taken it. They had to be schooled on group ride etiquette. When someone goes missing the ride comes to a grinding halt.
Yup I do remember that. They got schooled on that for sure!

GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
No I didn't know that. I should have looked at the date he posted, Sorry. I didn't mean to cause any problems
No problems caused. We are just stupid and like to poke fun (nomo) when we can. Don’t take it personally, it’s happened to all (well, some) of us!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
No problems caused. We are just stupid and like to poke fun (nomo) when we can. Don’t take it personally, it’s happened to all (well, some) of us!
Ow, I took it personally because I'm stupid! The NTC is a place you can let your hair down, if you have any. Have fun!

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
No I didn't know that. I should have looked at the date he posted, Sorry. I didn't mean to cause any problems
No problems my friend. We've all done it a time or two, just like to let you know. Were just here to keep u on tour toes! ;)
keep on-a postin!

KyGal83

KyGal83

Duchess Sheldon, Daisy, KGB, Natasha, SNS
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
I have to say.. I was guilty of this recently! I made 2 very rookie mistakes…

#1 - I changed course while on route to a planned POI.

#2 - I radioed I was changing course while under way.. but did not confirm everyone heard me.

Was on a 5 buggy group ride with good friends in our home area … I was the next to last buggy. I very much needed a rest room break ( not an excuse) .. knowing the trails extremely well, I knew a short cut was near and could make my stop then catchup without inconveniencing anyone. I radioed my change but did not confirm the buggy behind me got the message. He acted accordingly and stopped at the point I split off. This left him waiting on me to return, which I did not… and that left the last buggy hanging out there.

It was badly done and a very poor decision on my part. I knew better, been riding buggy’s for years and driving for a couple. Completely irresponsible. It put a damper on what was otherwise a good day. 🤦🏼‍♀️

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!