P1000 First hand half windshield experience please...

C

CCA

Jul 28, 2019
Iowa, USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 1000-5 I bought two years ago. I'm really happy with the machine overall. It does all the tasks I wanted to perform and then some. I could go into a full rant about how the dealer left the toe-out at 1 1/8" and burned a set of front tires off it in short order, but that's not a reflection of the machine, but rather the dealer set up...

I have the standard stuff a lot of people probably get on their machines. I have a hard roof and a 4500lb winch. Nothing fancy, just basic stuff.

I use this on my farm in central IA, take it to our family farms in NW MO, and occasionally to our vacation home in Southern CO. I use it the majority of the time on gravel (limestone) roads in IA and MO. I fear that a full windshield will create a monster dust storm in and cover me, the kids, and most importantly, THE WIFE, with dust. I'm not adding doors or sealing anything else up.

I want a something up front that allows air to flow, but will also cut down on the rush of air wooshing through the cabin as we drive. You can't hold a conversation in this thing, and you sure as hell can't keep a cigar lit if you're out for a leisure drive on Sunday after church.

I'm seriously wondering if those small 'Half' windshields might be an option for me. If they knock down the air some but not completely, that might be the ticket. I also noticed that maybe there exists the possibility of buying a lower 'half' and trying it, and then adding the top half that flips out or opens partially without tossing the first part of the purchase over in the shed and starting over. That appeals to me.

So... What I'm hoping for is some first hand feedback from you folks that have these, or even links to video, where people are using these so I can get a better feel what I'm buying and more importantly how it actually works for the people who own them.

Thank you in advance for your help. I'm enjoying reading down through this forum.

-Michael

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had a SuperATV half windshield and it blocked nearly all the wind. I really didn't like it. I rode with it a few times and then sold it. I now have a SuperATV flip windshield and I keep the lower half on all the time and I really like it. It lets air in but blocks a lot of mud and flying rocks. I run the top half in the winter.

Reactions: Utahn and CCA
C

CCA

Jul 28, 2019
Iowa, USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
so basically, you're running a "quarter" windshield and that's sufficient most of the time?

i wonder if that might be a really good option for us. that way i can add the rest of the windshield for the cold months...

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pretty much. The lower half mounts a lot nicer than the SuperATV half windshield too. Luckily I don't have to look through it. Sometimes it gets dirty.

GOPR0463 1564450450925 high

G

graybear

Nov 20, 2013
East Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is how I mounted my Honda half windshield. It sits up a couple of inches off the hood. This is my seventh sxs and I can tell you this is by far the least dusty sxs I have ever owned. Mounting it up a little gets rid of the dust suction and lets talk and keep the airstream off your eyes. I used a thick piece of aluminum strap to give support to the middle of the windshield.
IMG 1669

C

CCA

Jul 28, 2019
Iowa, USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i think i'll snag the 'quarter' w/s and give it a whirl. got plenty of summer left in which to try it, so why not?

F

Fin

Aug 6, 2019
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i think i'll snag the 'quarter' w/s and give it a whirl. got plenty of summer left in which to try it, so why not?
So what brand 1/4 did you go with and what are your thoughts about it.
We run a full glass in fall/winter but are looking to do a 1/4 for summer. Thanks!

F

Fin

Aug 6, 2019
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is how I mounted my Honda half windshield. It sits up a couple of inches off the hood. This is my seventh sxs and I can tell you this is by far the least dusty sxs I have ever owned. Mounting it up a little gets rid of the dust suction and lets talk and keep the airstream off your eyes. I used a thick piece of aluminum strap to give support to the middle of the windshield.View attachment 145019
Do you have a Honda wind deflector or a superatv 1/4 windshield? We are deciding between the two for use in summer months.
Thank you!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Over different models we have had a couple of the shorties. I preferred the Honda for all over fit and finish. Unfortunately we tend to break any of them so quit running it.

C

CCA

Jul 28, 2019
Iowa, USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So what brand 1/4 did you go with and what are your thoughts about it.
We run a full glass in fall/winter but are looking to do a 1/4 for summer. Thanks!

I apologize. I haven't even bought it yet. I put a couple in the cart and hadn't decided which one. When I order and install it, I'll drive it a bit, take a pic and/or vid, and follow up with what I learn. I've been so busy with life I hadn't checked the box on this task yet. Sorry about that guys. My bad.

-Michael

gullyjumper

gullyjumper

Sep 30, 2016
cookeville tn
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I use the honda half Windshield , I like it but in the winter sure is cold,

G

graybear

Nov 20, 2013
East Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Fin, It is the Honda half windshield. I tried to take the picture so the Honda logo on the windshield would show.

F

Fin

Aug 6, 2019
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I apologize. I haven't even bought it yet. I put a couple in the cart and hadn't decided which one. When I order and install it, I'll drive it a bit, take a pic and/or vid, and follow up with what I learn. I've been so busy with life I hadn't checked the box on this task yet. Sorry about that guys. My bad.

-Michael
Hey Michael- No worries fall is upon us here in WI. Not looking to buy one until spring. Got it narrowed down to a bug buster and the Honda wind deflector ( which we would some how mount so it is raised an inch or two to help with the wind vortex issue ) Keep me posted if you pull the trigger on something.

F

Fin

Aug 6, 2019
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Over different models we have had a couple of the shorties. I preferred the Honda for all over fit and finish. Unfortunately we tend to break any of them so quit running it.
Hey Cummins- do you happen to own a bug buster? I see they made the new ones to accommodate the side mirrors. We’ve got it down to either the bug buster or a Honda wind deflector. FYI we run glass in winter.
Thanks for your help!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Hey Cummins- do you happen to own a bug buster? I see they made the new ones to accommodate the side mirrors. We’ve got it down to either the bug buster or a Honda wind deflector. FYI we run glass in winter.
Thanks for your help!
3-4 years ago I did. I chopped the roof and sold it to a member that sold it to another member lol. It wouldn’t accept mirror I don’t think here’s pic
41C732AD 44AC 4890 BB37 D9159DAEEC38

I liked it well enough. Being fabric sides we had to be really careful because I use the roll bars on trees, won’t own another because of that. Works nice in sunset times of bugs. Actually kept a little mud out too

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!