P1000 First oil change coming up

B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A few questions about the oil change process:

First, how messy are these things with a superATV UHMW installed. Would rather not drop the skid plate every time I do an oil change as those self tapping screw holes will wear out over time. I can deal with a little spillage, but am I going to be dumping 6 quarts onto the skid plate?

Second, from the videos I have seen, there are 2 drain holes (oil pan and a forward drain?) Drain the oil, replace 2 filters and pour 6 quarts back in through the fill hole?

Or have I missed a step somewhere?

Only have ~50 miles on it so far, hoping to put another ~30 this weekend and then get the oil change in before a Moab trip in a week and a half. Would rather not be changing oil in the hotel parking lot.

Reactions: Lady01 and TxDoc
R

rickoshea

You don' t need to drain your sub trans till your 2nd year.or change that filter either,but I guess you can anyways.the sub trans drain is the forward one and it has a separate fill from the engine fill.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The Trail Armor skid in my Talon (same basic engine) has a very narrow slot for the 17mm drain bolt (red oval circle) and I'm surprised how little 'runoff' I get. The 12mm bolt (red round circle) doesn't spill any at all. You have to drain both for an oil change. Note that the two engine oil drains are fairly close together, maybe 5", the sub trans is further away, maybe a foot forward.

The Talon is spec'd at 6.08 qts. .08 qt. is 2.56 oz. - so 6 qt. 3 oz (engine oil and filter only). 6.1 qts. if also changing the DCT filter which becomes 6 qts. 3.2 oz. Not sure the Pioneer is the same but just in case.

Be sure to have a catch pan under the two filters, there's at least 10-12 oz of oil waiting to dump on yer foot. :oops:

The stock Talon skid -

Last edited:
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
A few questions about the oil change process:

First, how messy are these things with a superATV UHMW installed. Would rather not drop the skid plate every time I do an oil change as those self tapping screw holes will wear out over time. I can deal with a little spillage, but am I going to be dumping 6 quarts onto the skid plate?

Second, from the videos I have seen, there are 2 drain holes (oil pan and a forward drain?) Drain the oil, replace 2 filters and pour 6 quarts back in through the fill hole?

Or have I missed a step somewhere?

Only have ~50 miles on it so far, hoping to put another ~30 this weekend and then get the oil change in before a Moab trip in a week and a half. Would rather not be changing oil in the hotel parking lot.
There are 3 drain plugs. The forward most drain plug is the sub-trans. You will want to drain the other two. Put some shop rags/towel under the filter covers as they will make a mess when you take them off. I don't drop the skids when I change the oil. Don't use an impact when you tighten the filter cover bolts and they only need to be a hair more than hand tight.

B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got it.

Any reason to stay with conventional oil rather than synthetic motorcycle oil? Going to be spendy throwing 6quarts but synthetic has always served me well.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Got it.

Any reason to stay with conventional oil rather than synthetic motorcycle oil? Going to be spendy throwing 6quarts but synthetic has always served me well.
I went with Amsoil on my 1200 mile service. I want to say that the shifting was noticeably firmer (better) than with the Honda GN4, but I also installed a PV3 around the same time which altered my shifting.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The Trail Armor skid in my Talon (same basic engine) has a very narrow slot for the 17mm drain bolt (red oval circle) and I'm surprised how little 'runoff' I get. The 12mm bolt (red round circle) doesn't spill any at all. You have to drain both for an oil change. Note that the two engine oil drains are fairly close together, maybe 5", the sub trans is further away, maybe a foot forward.

The Talon is spec'd at 6.08 qts. .08 qt. is 2.56 oz. - so 6 qt. 3 oz. Not sure the Pioneer is the same but just in case.

Be sure to have a catch pan under the two filters, there's at least 10-12 oz of oil waiting to dump on yer foot. :oops:

The stock Talon skid -
View attachment 259493
GREAT post!

Reactions: Lady01 and CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!